Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky Dropping 0870 Numbers - Imminent

This is a discussion on Sky Dropping 0870 Numbers - Imminent within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Yes, I think I have to agree James, we have been researching, and it would appear to be dearer in ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Dropping 0870 Numbers - Imminent

Yes, I think I have to agree James, we have been researching, and it would appear to be dearer in the evening definitely.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Nice to see the official announcement on Sky's Homepage.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky Dropping 0870 Numbers - Imminent-phonenumbersky.jpg  

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

And correct me if I am wrong but Ofcom removed the right to receive commisson on 0845 and 0870 numbers by the company.

0870 were also going to be cheaper with the company paying a share of each call received.

So they all moved to 0844 which, guess what, allows commision to be given depending on the volume of calls received.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Yes, I think I have to agree James, we have been researching, and it would appear to be dearer in the evening definitely.
      Correct, Calling Sky on the 0870 number costs around:

8ppm Weekday peak
      4ppm Weekday offpeak
      1.5ppm Weekend

The new 0844 numbers are charged at 5ppm plus a one off 6p per call.
      If you call in an off-peak period, you now pay more.

Data is pence per minute from a BT land line, taken from Sky's 'MoJo' system but due to my bad memory, it has been rounded up to the nearest 0.5p.

bbb_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Basically, Sky are still making money from us customers even whilst stuck in a queue which can sometimes be over 20mins.

Sky do lose some of the revenue they used to make for themselves during the daytime (ie 2p/min cheaper) but during the evening and weekends when 0870 was generally cheaper, the new 0844 numbers will cost us a lot more.

So as usual Sky are laughing all the way to the bank and there is still an incentive to keep us customers waiting longer due to them making money from us even whilst stuck in a queue.

Sky could if they wanted make calling their 0844 numbers free for those with SkyTalk like TalkTalk, VirginMedia, etc do. However, they choose not to do this and i've even emailed them over it and the email was ignored.

* Any rates quoted are based from a BT landline. Calls from other networks may vary.
      Last edited by bbb_uk; 26-03-08 at 06:12 PM.

bbb_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newbuilder View Post
      And correct me if I am wrong but Ofcom removed the right to receive commisson on 0845 and 0870 numbers by the company.

0870 were also going to be cheaper with the company paying a share of each call received.

So they all moved to 0844 which, guess what, allows commision to be given depending on the volume of calls received.
      Ofcom removed the right to commission (so-to-speak) for 0870 numbers only but not 0845.

Sky could have chosen a lower costing 0844 number (rather than 5p/min at all times) or even a 0845 number. Instead they decided on 0844 costing 5p/min so they can still make money from us customers calling them.

* Any rates quoted are based from a BT landline. Calls from other networks may vary.

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Thanks

For those on Sky Talk note that from the 15th April the cost of calls is altering.

1. The connection fee for all non inclusive calls, ie 0844 0870 etc changes from 6p to 7p, BT staying at 6p according to BT website.

2. Calls lasting longer than hour where you don't drop the call and redial the cost increases from 0.8p per minute to 4p!! BT will still charge 3.25p per minute on calls lasting more than hour if you had free calls with them.

3. Daytime calls to landlines changes from 3.25p to 4p per minute, BT staying at 3.25p!

4. Calls to non-geographic numbers (0845, most 0870) - 0845 charges increasing to flat rate of 6p per minute whereas BT staying at 2p per min in daytime and 0.5p per minute at night. 0870 numbers going to 10p per minute in daytime and 8p in the evening whereas BT staying at 6p in daytime and 1.5p in the evening.

The moral here is of on Sky Talk definetly hang up before the hour and for the non geo number route your call via BT. I believe you do this by keying 1280 before the number you dial.

Yes Sky may be giving us free access to all Sky Call Centre numbers from the 1st July 2008 but there re-couping those costs by these devious means above!

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boab2791 View Post
      4. Calls to non-geographic numbers (0845, most 0870) - 0845 charges increasing to flat rate of 6p per minute whereas BT staying at 2p per min in daytime and 0.5p per minute at night. 0870 numbers going to 10p per minute in daytime and 8p in the evening whereas BT staying at 6p in daytime and 1.5p in the evening.
      And 18185 is cheaper at times too.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boab2791 View Post
      2. Calls lasting longer than hour where you don't drop the call and redial the cost increases from 0.8p per minute to 4p!! BT will still charge 3.25p per minute on calls lasting more than hour if you had free calls with them. No, BT's price increased to 4p on 1-4-08.

3. Daytime calls to landlines changes from 3.25p to 4p per minute, BT staying at 3.25p! No, BT's price increased to 4p on 1-4-08.
      BT's changes are listed HERE.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12