Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sky Customers clearly have so little understanding

This is a discussion on Sky Customers clearly have so little understanding within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Well let's see, Slashdot agree with Skyuser, always good to see, however it appears that Bill Thompson who writes for ...

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well let's see, Slashdot agree with Skyuser, always good to see, however it appears that Bill Thompson who writes for the BBC Technology section seem to disagree...

BBC NEWS | Technology | Lessons for the hi-tech future

Obviously, we are all to dumb to follow simple instructions, or to be exact:
      But I am starting to think that anyone who can't follow the step-by-step guide to updating their Outlook account settings really shouldn't be using e-mail at all - they clearly have so little understanding of the technology in their hands that it's like letting a small child play with an unlicensed nuclear reactor.
      Hmm, nice and subtle there don't you think?????

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Lessons for the hi-tech future

I would be very surprised if anyone would be able to click on the BBC URL - after all we failed to follow written instructions.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

what a cheeky little ****** he is!

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

you have my deepest apologies, sadly I don't have the skills to copy and paste in the article from that site...

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The customer is not always right, especially when it comes to technology, says regular columnist Bill Thompson.

"It's rare that I find myself on the side of large companies such as Google and Sky when it comes to the way they treat customers, but the current furore over the way Sky moved over a million UK customers from its own servers to Google's GMail service has resulted in what seems to be rather undeserved criticism.

Sky announced the move in August and have now made the technical changes needed. Instead of using a hosted mail service their users now get e-mail via a Sky-branded front-end to Google's webmail."

Perhaps Bill Thompson cannot read websites? If he had read properly he would have spotted that there was actually a problem with the migration, of which Sky have actually told customers.

As for the following statement, I am starting to think, am I getting value for money from my TV Licence?

"But I am starting to think that anyone who can't follow the step-by-step guide to updating their Outlook account settings really shouldn't be using e-mail at all - they clearly have so little understanding of the technology in their hands that it's like letting a small child play with an unlicensed nuclear reactor."

Original article BBC NEWS | Technology | Lessons for the hi-tech future
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 26-11-07 at 02:37 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kbramman View Post
      you have my deepest apologies, sadly I don't have the skills to copy and paste in the article from that site...

LOL

He should have looked closer to home, ie Blue Peter, their staff need to learn how to run a competition without picking predefined winners.

Jimvision is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blidworth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Customers clearly have so little understanding

Unfortunately not all of the USERS of Sky email are deeply computer-literate, after all, someone who has no knowledge of optics can still use a complicated camera! I have had a lot of problems getting my Sky broadband service up and running and to-date the network congestion in the evenings is so bad that it is impossible to get on the net after 17:00 hrs. Trying to get a response from Sky is very frustrating.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ouch! I take it he is funded via the License Fee!

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My letter to the BBC... Should probably be filed under 'Life is too short'

I am writing in reference to the article by Bill Thompson regarding the inability of Sky broadband customers to follow simple instructions.

Mr Thompson appears to have done little real research into the problems suffered by Sky Broadband users.

He boldly states that changing the setting for an email client is a trivial matter, and if users cannot do this then they should not be using email at all.

He also claims that Sky have been unfairly represented in the press, and that genuine problems have been relatively small in number.

As an active member of the unofficial support forum www.skyuser.co.uk and a technology consultant for many years I feel that Mr Thompson has spectacularly missed the point.

Even a casual glance at some of the posts by the 16,000+ strong SkyUser community would show that in actual fact the majority of problems have not been caused by an inability to follow instructions (although there are certainly many of those too, more on this in a minute). The majority of problems have been caused by two major factors, firstly Sky and Google messed up the migration of user accounts to the new system, locking hundreds of users out of their email system completely, webmail and pop clients. Passwords recognised on one part of the Sky site were not being recognised on the webmail service. Password resets did not work.

Secondly, the requirements of the new service meant that different ports and SSL were implemented. For many hundreds of users this meant that their email client needed updating with the latest service packs and patches.

Both these problems in concert have managed to make Sky look stupid, but what made it simply unbearable, and therefore newsworthy for the press, is that complete and utter lack of support being given by Sky.

This brings me on to the point about the alleged inability of some users to follow instructions. Bill missed out some rather important points. I would agree that there have been many users who should frankly just double check their settings before they go any further, but in defense of these ordinary users I would argue that if they had received proper support upon their overpriced phone call to Sky technical then they would not need to go to a forum such as Skyuser, and still further, would not have felt a need to get in touch with national newspapers and other news outlets.

The story for me is not the inability of an ordinary user to set up an email client, it is the lack of support from Sky to ensure that their Broadband experience is a seamless as their digital TV package.

Going by Bill Thompsons rationale that if a user is unable to set up their email client then they should not be allowed to use email, may I suggest that if a journalist cannot be bothered to properly research an opinion piece before writing, perhaps they should have their keyboards taken away.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

rwdjones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Excellent reply to what is obviuosly a subject that was not investigated properly prior to its release.
      Well done

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)