Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sky send us both new routers to review

This is a discussion on Sky send us both new routers to review within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; This morning, we received both the new routers from Sky Broadband, to review and use to make tutorials for our ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky send us both new routers to review

This morning, we received both the new routers from Sky Broadband, to review and use to make tutorials for our members to use on Sky User.

Included in the package was a note from the Sky Broadband Team.

Hope you enjoy the new routers, we've included one of each so you can try both.

Apart from the obvious design upgrade, we've been working on improving stability and performance with this router. We will be rolling out the same improvements to the original router in the coming months with a firmware upgrade.

The Sky Broadband Team

The models for the V2 routers are:

Netgear DG934G- 1SUKUKS includes:

1 x Netgear Wireless router
      3 x ADSL Filters
      1 x RJ11 cable
      1 x RJ45 cable
      1 x Version 3 Get Set CD
      1 x 12v 1A PSU
      1 x Stand for router
      1 x Wireless Pass Phrase Card
      1 x Sky Wireless router set-up guide
      Firmware Version V2.02.34

Sagem F@ST 2504 Sky includes:

1 x Sagem Wireless router
      3 x ADSL Filters
      1 x RJ11 cable
      1 x RJ45 cable
      1 x Version 3 Get Set CD
      1 x 12v 0.75A PSU
      1 x Stand for router
      1 x Wireless Pass Phrase Card
      1 x Sky Wireless router set-up guide
      Firmware Version 1.5Sky

Sizes: D14.4cm x H2.7cm x L17.9cm

Initially, appearance wise, both routers are identical. The only visible differences are the Manufacturers names on the top back of the router, as well as the labels with the Pass Phrase underneath. They both look as if they have been modelled on a Sky HD box and are a nice dark grey colour.

One thing of probably no importance is the difference in rating between both PSU's the Netgear router has a 1A, whilst the Sagem is 0.75A

As I have suffered some of the problems discussed on this forum with my V1 router, I have opted to hook the brand new Netgear DG934G router to my PC.

The Log in details are exactly the same as the V1 router, http://192.168.0.1 username: admin and password: sky

However, after logging in there is a huge obvious difference with the GUI. First thing to notice, is that the horrible old Netgear style has been chucked out and looks like it is modelled on the Sky.com website. Apart from a couple of obvious typo errors, the GUI imho is a lot more user friendly and easier to navigate.

Setting up the wireless is a doddle and practically the same as the old V1 router, all in all setup start from finish, less than a few minutes.

My connection speed and attenuation are practically the same. Speed tests are no faster or slower. The Noise Margin is stuck on 8.

The second noticeable difference for me, was the strength of the wireless signal and reception. My laptop is upstairs, whilst the router is downstairs next to my main PC. The laptop reports a very good signal and is certainly not hampered by any reduction in wireless reception in browsing, speed tests etc.

The most significant difference to me, after over 2 hours use, with the router lay flat, there is no need to worry about the heat factor. The router is warm, and not hot to the touch. No longer do I need to have the router stood up! (Although, if you wanted to stand it up, the new enclosed stand is a lot nicer than those horrible tacky white plastic legs)

And, for the first time in ages...... I am pleased to report, the UPnP works! This Netgear has not locked my PC up within the usual 30 minutes of activity.

Update: Just to confirm, what we have previously reported, none of the current utilities for Username and Password, stats, noise margin etc work on the new routers. We have absolutely no intention of trying to bypass any of the built in security methods or flash the firmware either.

I have attached pictures of both routers, and will update the forum with new tutorials and a full report of stability over the next few days. The Sagem is the one with the smaller box. Oh and please ignore the brown towel, I was never very creative.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky send us both new routers to review-sagemrouter.jpg   Sky send us both new routers to review-netgearv2router.jpg  
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 22-11-07 at 05:50 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky send us both new routers to review

Any chance of some decent screenshots of the new router setup screens

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Here's a few for now. Unfortunately I have a WS monitor
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky send us both new routers to review-newrouter2.jpg   Sky send us both new routers to review-newrouter3.jpg   Sky send us both new routers to review-newrouter4.jpg   Sky send us both new routers to review-newrouter5.jpg   Sky send us both new routers to review-newrouter1.jpg  

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      ........The second noticeable difference for me, was the strength of the wireless signal and reception. My laptop is upstairs, whilst the router is downstairs next to my main PC. The laptop reports a very good signal and is certainly not hampered by any reduction in wireless reception in browsing, speed tests etc.......
      So....what was your laptop connection like with the old router? Reason I ask, mine can barely make it most days although it does work. (You should never be without your towel, whatever it's colour )

Thanks
      Blog Entries

what was your laptop connection like with the old router?
      I never had a problem with the wireless, it was the signal that was a bit suspect. The laptop is in the kitchen which is upstairs on the opposite side of the house.

On the V1, I would only ever get a good signal, however it was useable. If we moved the aerial on the V1 or the laptop it sometimes, but rarely gave a very good signal.

The V2 routers have no visible aerials whatsoever, and so logic tells me there is a greater output or a more efficient one on the V2's.

Julius is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wanstead
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

do the new routers support WDS? i have to use my Aiport Extreme Base station to be able to better talk to my Airport express.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi Julius

I have absolutely no idea, is there anything I can do with the 2 that we have to test? As I assume you mean, Wireless Distribution System

If you want me to try anything on a Windows setup, feel free to fire away.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Jammy bugger, pass them on to me when your finished
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

lol

Don't worry the PM's have already started. (please do not PM asking for one)

Maybe if Sky allow us we can give one of them away as a prize for one of our members. Something like most helpful member nominated by the members?

We will have to make sure that we are allowed to do so before we make that decision and announce it. I am not too sure if the MAC's have been registered against my account etc

edit: On rereading this, it could be construed that we are going to be giving one away. We would not do so without Sky's authorisation, as we fully respect that Sky may not want that to happen.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 20-11-07 at 03:13 PM.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Well what ever happends, good luck and tell sky the next freebee has to be free sky for life as a thank you.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast