Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sky send us both new routers to review

This is a discussion on Sky send us both new routers to review within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by timmay For those that have already upgraded their router to the latest firmware, will Sky still be ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky send us both new routers to review

Quote Originally Posted by timmay View Post
      For those that have already upgraded their router to the latest firmware, will Sky still be able to upgrade them?
      Not as far as we know.

My router is currently running UberGT firmware, will this be a problem?
      Yes, technically you have broken the T and C's of Sky Broadband, and the new FW could not be applied. Not saying its wrong what you have done, just saying it as it is. No update would be applied.

Does anyone know where to get a copy of the original Sky firmware to downgrade the router back to how it was supplied?
      On your CD that came with the router.

As far as we know, there is a Network freeze on Easynet as from the middle of December. (no changes made from that point) We would assume that if there is no rollout of the new FW by about 15th December, then it is not going to happen this year.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      WelshBluebird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWTDU
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm thinking of joining sky, but am on a fairly long and noisy line. I can currently get a max sync speed of around 3Mbps using my ST 585 on an entanet reseller. Should get a little more with sky hopefully (as I'd finally be rid of the 15dB target noise margin that BT have put on my line (even though it will hold sync at around 7db), and its ADSL2+, and even though its a poor line, I may see a very small improvement).

But one thing I am thinking about is the router. Currently, the ST 585 has a pretty good repuation for dealing with poor lines. Any idea what the new SKY routers are like compared to the ST 585 in regards to longer lines?

Thanks.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

not sure about the routers, but from what you have said about your line you may not get any better with sky, if you think your line could handle 7meg max you would be put on Gdmt and not ADSL+2 (so you will be on the same as now)
      your SNR of 15 only confirms how bad your line is (sky may well do the same)
      there are a few things that may improve your line like testing from the test socket (behind master socket face plate - see link in my sig) which would rule out any internal wiring problems you may have

and at least it may be cheaper than you pay now

WelshBluebird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWTDU
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Already on the master socket using a filtered faceplate, so the test socket shouldn't yield any improvements. Will still check later on though.

In regards to being put on GDMT, I'm fine with that really (I should still get faster downloads than what I get now as I wouldn't have to cope with the rubbish IP profile thing BT wholesale have).

Only reason I can see ADSL2+ being an advantage for me would be if they use Seamless Rate Adaption . Any idea if thy do (and does it work as it should - so does the line change speed without resyncing if the SNR margin drops significantly).

As for my SNR of 15db, I am on a up to 8Mbps connection, so thats why it is low.
      I do want to get it down to around 9db if I can, but the BT wholesale system is crap.

It increased my target margin to 15 when I first went onto maxDSL (was using a USB modem and for most of the training period, we had very bad weather which affected my SNR, and I wasn't using the filtered faceplate, so my SNR margin was all over the place anyway). If the system increases your SNR, Its then supposed supposed to reduce it by 3db if your line is synced for a certain amount of time. But its never worked for my line. So I'm stuck with a target SNR of 15db.

I can use DMT with older firmware on my ST 585 to get to sync at around 3.4Mbps with an SNR of 9db. However, no matter what my SNR is (so even if I use DMT to set it to a very high value), the older firmwares aren't stable on my line. They gradually loose SNR over a period of around 3 days, and then the router has to be restarted. This problem was fixed in the newer firmwares, but they also stopped DMT working.
      Last edited by WelshBluebird; 25-11-07 at 12:26 PM.

timmay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Faversham
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks NewsreadeR,

I've restored the original Sky firmware using the CD so am now ready for Sky to upgrade if/when they do.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi Timmay

Glad you sorted it, we ain't had a tip off yet re the FW upgrade

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

michael26uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: haverhill
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I'm just in the process of migrating to Sky and have just received the new Sagem router but I dont want to use this as I am more than happy with my Belkin N1.Am I not going to be able to use this as I cant extract my username and password.
      Can I not phone Sky and get the info after all I am paying for it.If not,why?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Can I not phone Sky and get the info after all I am paying for it.If not,why?
      Nope. As per the T and C's for Sky Broadband, you agreed to use their hardware when signing up. Although plenty of people do use their own. We are not really sure if Sky would have the password etc

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you phone Tier 1 then we see nothing other than your basic account details.

michael26uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: haverhill
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This may seem picky to some,but I'm not happy about this and am seriously considering cancelling..Why can't I use my own equipment.

Other ISP's I've signed up to have all provided me with my username and password in writing.I also helped a friend today with his new connection and his company provided the info in writing

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast