Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Sky Migrates Email to Google

This is a discussion on Sky Migrates Email to Google within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; We had reports that Sky were to migrate their existing Customers' email to Google Mail today, 7th November. Judging by ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Migrates Email to Google

We had reports that Sky were to migrate their existing Customers' email to Google Mail today, 7th November.

Judging by the hits and the posts that we have received today, it is apparent that this has in fact happened.

Please see our Email and Portal Help forum
      , for hopefully the answers that you may require. If not already answered try starting a new thread and we will do our best to try and help resolve your issues.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Migrates Email to Google

Originally Posted by Shakka View Post
      Hey - Ive had problems too. Changed over to Sky Tools e-mail server tonight, could login to portal but Outlook 2003 wouldn't work despite correct settings. Wouldn't log on to server. However after numerous calls and surfing I found that if repeatedly asked for username and password you need to go to this link and follow the instructions and I'm pretty sure you will get it working. I'm working now!

https://www.google.com/a/sky.com/UnlockCaptcha

!!!!!!

Let me know.
      Copied from another forum post

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

jasonthomas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      We had reports that Sky were to migrate their existing Customers' email to Google Mail today, 7th November.

Judging by the hits and the posts that we have received today, it is apparent that this has in fact happened.

Please see our Email and Portal Help forum
      , for hopefully the answers that you may require. If not already answered try starting a new thread and we will do our best to try and help resolve your issues.
      I have Outlook 2007 also and can receive email fine through the website, however when I logon through Outlook and I amend all the settings and checked that POP is enabled I get a message asking for my username and password. I enter them, and enter them and enter them - get the picture. It's just not working. I have even tried setting up a manual configuration and nothing!!!

Can anyone help

I have tried SSL on and off, I have tried setting the SSL to 465 and default as suggested. I have changed my password as suggested and even went onto a link that unlocked me???? but even that doesn't recognise my password and the username and password log me in fine through the sky website. please anyone help I am at the end of my tether..... thanks

jasonthomas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Copied from another forum post
      even tried the link you have suggested and nothing...

ecvej is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Am I the only one that wants to complain about Sky's handling of this? Do they really think it's a good idea for each of their 1m plus customers to change their settings!? Surely it's simpler for them to have changed the DNS settings on their end rather than make us all change to XXX.tools.sky.com? I mean 1million people is a lot of headaches and delayed emails!

Ok maybe the SSL connection is good thing, but then why not do it from the beginning. It's not like it's a new technology!

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Great -- so now Google can read more e-mails in order to target ads at users. Google is no longer usable as a search engine because of all the sponsored junk that crowds out the real answers you want. They just seem determined to be the new Microsoft -- run, don't walk, to another e-mail operator.

SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Great -- so now Google can read more e-mails in order to target ads at users. Google is no longer usable as a search engine because of all the sponsored junk that crowds out the real answers you want. They just seem determined to be the new Microsoft -- run, don't walk, to another e-mail operator.
      They all read your emails Live and Yahoo certainly do these days ... your options are some out of date 90s-style e-mail service with 2MB of space, or send it through your own server or something (in which case its still likely being read by a spam filter, or worse, your host's technicians!).

I think gMail is a great service, the ads don't bother me and having a computer read my e-mail is the least of my problems when Microsoft is firing their top information officer for "breach of policy" (translation: reading peoples stuff!) ...

anhenn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01842
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky Migrates Email to Google

I agree, I think it was Friday or Saturday evening when this happenend first, I still can not get to the sky homepage, still getting re-directed to google/ask Jeeves, can Jeeves help I ask myself.

anhenn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01842
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I can not believe this, I actually phoned help line and had no help, I suggested the problem was due to their new page. This was totally and utterly denied, in fact the advice I got was to take my laptop to the get repaired (basically it was my fault I lost my cool)

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anhenn View Post
      I can not believe this, I actually phoned help line and had no help, I suggested the problem was due to their new page. This was totally and utterly denied, in fact the advice I got was to take my laptop to the get repaired (basically it was my fault I lost my cool)
      Welcome to the forums.

Would you like to start a new thread and tell us exactly what problems you are having and what error messages you get? Someone on here may be able to help if they know a little more.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services: