Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Exciting new Rumour

This is a discussion on Exciting new Rumour within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by PeteC They already do! and have done since the start No they haven't, they only give the ...

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Exciting new Rumour

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
      They already do! and have done since the start
      No they haven't, they only give the 5 a month to customers that have an exchange upgrade happening in the next 6 months. If you look at my post I said ALL new Connect customers.

That is anyone who joins whether their line will be upgraded in 1, 2, or 122 months !
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The 5.00 a month Connect was an enticement to join Sky BB, only if your exchange was due to be upgraded by the end of July 2007.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      The 5.00 a month Connect was an enticement to join Sky BB, only if your exchange was due to be upgraded by the end of July 2007.
      Yes and this is what I thought they might have been extending to all customers regardless of their exchange date upgrade before you released your news.

As I said earlier a Sky adviser told me Sky aim to LLU as many exchanges as physically possible to cover most of their customers but this will take some time.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If they did it would be great for everyone. However, the costs of renting a line from BT for Connect is roughly 10.00 per mth, by the time you put operational costs in there, they make no profit from the 17.00 charged.

However if Sky use their own LLU network I would bet their costs are halved. Therefore they could offer BB cheaper, to everyone in an LLU'ed area. Rumour has it Sky are way ahead of their unbundling, they spare no expense in making their network one of the best. But it can only return results in years not months.

If you look at the costs (per year) at the moment:

Router - 55.00
      Shipping - 7.00
      BT Charge for migration at the exchange - 47.00
      (on Connect) BT rental - 120.00

Total - 109.00 so on:

MAX they would make 11.00 per customer per year (first year)
      MID they would lose 49.00 per customer per year (first year)
      BASE they would lose 109.00 per customer per year (first year)
      Connect @ 17.00 pm they would lose 25.00 per customer per year (first year)

And that is before operational costs, Sky have to be looking or hoping that every customer stays long term. They could only make profit after at least 12 months of being a BB customer.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Because of the fact that a lot of people may not have Sky TV and so will never think of joining Sky BB. Now if and when this happens, people can join Sky BB without subscribing to Sky TV. Even if all the Sky packages were say 5.00 dearer than for Sky TV customers, I bet they would increase their signups overnight. How many other ISP's already have an LLU infrastructure of their own?

What if they were really clever and bundled it with Freeview? - Now that would be a smart move.
      The free view idea is genius, but maybe freesat and a free PVR similar to Sky + and you are on the way like BT Vision!

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If they did it would be great for everyone. However, the costs of renting a line from BT for Connect is roughly 10.00 per mth, by the time you put operational costs in there, they make no profit from the 17.00 charged.

However if Sky use their own LLU network I would bet their costs are halved. Therefore they could offer BB cheaper, to everyone in an LLU'ed area. Rumour has it Sky are way ahead of their unbundling, they spare no expense in making their network one of the best. But it can only return results in years not months.

If you look at the costs (per year) at the moment:

Router - 55.00
      Shipping - 7.00
      BT Charge for migration at the exchange - 47.00
      (on Connect) BT rental - 120.00

Total - 109.00 so on:

MAX they would make 11.00 per customer per year (first year)
      MID they would lose 49.00 per customer per year (first year)
      BASE they would lose 109.00 per customer per year (first year)
      Connect @ 17.00 pm they would lose 25.00 per customer per year (first year)

And that is before operational costs, Sky have to be looking or hoping that every customer stays long term. They could only make profit after at least 12 months of being a BB customer.
      I'd imagine they get a discount on the routers and shipping, but given that they must send out thousands unnecessarily (how many people here have two?) and the fact they also have to pay for the costs of staffing the (broadband only) call centres, I think the losses are probably more...

edit: And judging from the latest results here, Sky BB (assuming 1 million subscribers) is losing an average of 169 per customer minimum.

charmed12007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lisburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

good one
      i think i will cancel my sky tv, multi rooms ect and just get cheap bb, sky will then lose about 45 a month from me they will have to sign up 3 or 4 new bb customers just to get back the money tjey will olse from me.
      and yes it is sour grapes i would expect some loyalty from sky as i have given them loyalty for the past 20 years

Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^^ Is it just me or is that absolutely pointless??

I have the choice to have a satellite receiver in my house. Not because Sky offer it, but because I want to watch it. If I want a nice car, I have to pay for that privilege, not because I have been a loyal customer to Vauxhall for 10 years.

Seriously if Sky gave you free Satellite and free broadband, some people would still find a reason to moan. It's your choice, if you wish to cancel the luxury of all that for 45.00 a month for the sake of having cheap BB, why blame Sky? The only people who are going to miss out are you, and your family.

Sky will still be broadcasting their channels for the same costs as they have budgeted for, if you are a customer or not. They will make more money yes if more people sign up for it but if they lose some people, they still have the same overheads and whether we like it or not, they ain't about to start worrying now.

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no good point, as for how many ISP have their own LLu kit there are atleast 12

Vm's 2MB is 4.50

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm the first one to criticise Sky usually but I can't understand this mentality. It sounds like pure selfishness - the reason you pay your money every month is for a TV package. If you don't want the TV package, then yes, this will make more sense - but if you want the TV package, I can't understand why you'd cancel it all just because Sky expand their broadband product...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast