Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sky to drop 0870 numbers

This is a discussion on Sky to drop 0870 numbers within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; A few weeks ago, we reported the fact that Virgin Media were increasing their call charges for customer support: Virgin ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky to drop 0870 numbers

A few weeks ago, we reported the fact that Virgin Media were increasing their call charges for customer support:

Virgin has recently announced that from July it will be charging 25p/minute for calls to its broadband support line. In an e-mail to customers last week, it explains the huge call volumes its support teams are facing about "other issues not related to [their] service" which it claims are not practical for them as a business to sustain.

Sky obviously want to cash in on that bad news and are supposedly dropping their 0870 numbers with effect from March 2008.

We have known about this for over 24 hours, but wanted to wait for a third confirmation before we posted it, which we have now had. I would also like to point out that this is totally unofficial and unconfirmed.

Sky are apparently in talks to drop their 0870 numbers and replace them with an 0800 type number whereby the maximum cost of the call to the end user is between 3 - 5p. In simple words the cost of the call is fixed, whether you are on the phone for 2 minutes or 3 hours.

Whilst we all agree, Sky's support is not the best, and that the Agents answering calls are hampered by procedures, this news has to be welcomed by everyone who has ever had to call Sky's Customer Service.

One of the biggest gripes on our forum, is the fact that members have to call Sky on an 0870 number to try and put right any issues that they, the end user are having, which may or not be the customer's fault.

This to me, shows a commitment from Sky that they do take on board that fact and are also taking steps to resolve the issues and improve their quality of Customer Service.

After all, if it was my company and I was footing the phone call, I would want to make sure that my customers were on the phone for the least amount of time possible, and that when my customer put the phone down, that customer's issues were resolved.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 03-07-07 at 02:00 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky to drop 0870 numbers

I'm not usually a cynical person, but this wouldn't also coincide with the loss of revenue - as of January 2008, 0870 numbers will no longer be revenue sharing according to this - and I'll point out that Virgin Media will refund instantly (no sending in a bill) call charges if a technical support issue is a network or equipment fault, and that their CS, billing, sales and all other departments are free to users of the phone service

edit: reading the above would seem to indicate that as of January 2008, NGN's (0870's etc) will be included as part of the majority of inclusive deals, so its not going to cost to call for 90% of people anyway

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

While this is great news March 2008 is still quite a while away although I suppose it is better than nothing.

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only reason why sky are or will consider changing from an 0870 is because of the changes being forced against them (0870 numbers that is) in 2008. They are not doing it for your benefit or mine for that matter!

This has been in the pipeline for sometime now!

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still, good news though
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is it me, or are some people just not happy no matter what Sky try to do??

Remember, they could have switched the number over to an 0871, or an 0845 number, both of which will end up higher then the fixed rate number (unless you're on the phone for less then a minute!!)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kbramman View Post
      Is it me, or are some people just not happy no matter what Sky try to do??

Remember, they could have switched the number over to an 0871, or an 0845 number, both of which will end up higher then the fixed rate number (unless you're on the phone for less then a minute!!)
      They would never be able to use a 0871 number and they know it, they would loose custom over it and they know it! They would be the first company to use a high rate number as a standard cs number if they decided to do that!

With regards to the 0845 number these actually work out cheaper than 0870/0871 numbers!

I wouldn't hold your breath on sky using a 0800 number for general cs I would have thought the 0845 would be the route they take! However with all the uproar between virgin media and sky you never know!

And as for never being happy well you’re wrong, if sky did it out the kindness of their harts like they did with the sky plus subs then fair enough, but they are only doing it because OFCOM have laid down the law in some way shape or form!
      Last edited by acoolwelshbloke; 03-07-07 at 12:24 PM.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I can see when Sky do something good - Sky+ subs were this - what irritates me slightly is that this is pure spin on something that would have happened anyway

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

In all fairness, Sky have not announced this or there reasoning officially. This was relayed onto us, and I made the story.

Either way we look at it, it is good news for those people who have to ring up and try and to get their problems sorted.

As for the spin, I wrote it, and would have hoped that it was read in the none spin type way.

From what I understand of it, it is a FIXED call rate no matter how long you are on the phone. Even it was an 0845 type number, you would still pay per minute.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You stated they will be using a 0800 number? These numbers are free phone numbers and the person calling the 0800 number pays nothing!

Think you may have got mixed up? You should have said a chargeable 08 number.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Sky are apparently in talks to drop their 0870 numbers and replace them with an 0800 type number whereby the maximum cost of the call to the end user is between 3 - 5p. In simple words the cost of the call is fixed, whether you are on the phone for 2 minutes or 3 hours.
      If they are going to charge between 3 - 5p then they are going to use a 0845 number like I stated in my previous post!

Ohhh and just to point out you cannot have a fixed rate on a 08 number. Well at present unless they are bringing out changes that I am not aware of!

Fixed rate numbers normally start with 09 as do expensive premium rate numbers, my guess is they will go for the 0845 and we the customer will continue to pay per minute regardless how long the call lasts. That sounds realistic to me!
      Last edited by acoolwelshbloke; 03-07-07 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast