Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sky to drop 0870 numbers

This is a discussion on Sky to drop 0870 numbers within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; strange, I've got an 0845 number for the (virgin media) customer concern department - very odd!...

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky to drop 0870 numbers

strange, I've got an 0845 number for the (virgin media) customer concern department - very odd!

2. Advertisement
      bbb_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      From what I understand of it, it is a FIXED call rate no matter how long you are on the phone. Even it was an 0845 type number, you would still pay per minute.
      It's not possible to have a FIXED price regardless of how long you are on the phone unless it's an 09x number, or a (very) few number range beginning 0871 or 0844 however most 0871 numbers do cost 10p/min from a BT landline and most 0844 numbers in use cost 5p/min from a BT landline.

Any so-called FIXED call charge may only be from a BT landline because all other providers are legally free to charge what they like for the call. For example, numbers beginning 0844, 0845, 0870 or 0871 are charged at upto 10p/min from a BT landline but are charged at upto 40p/min from a mobile network and another example is that VM charge 10p/min (daytime) for calls to 0870 whilst BT charge 7p/min (daytime).

I also agree that Sky are only changing their number from 0870 because the revenue they get from the calls will be stopped from around February/March 2008.

Sky are highly unlikely to take the FIXED call option because the revenue they get from the calls would be non-existent and 99% of the time would most likely cost Sky money because Sky would then have to pay a per minute charge for us customers being held in a queue waiting for them to answer.

I believe they'll switch to either a 0844 which is charged at upto 5p/min from a BT landline or a 0845 charged at upto 3p/min from a BT landline. These rates are only from a BT landline because other networks can charge differently and mobile networks generally charge upto around 35p/min for calls to 0844 or 0845.

It's possible that Sky will change to a 03x but then Sky will not receive any revenue from the call at all so again I doubt they would do this - instead I do personally believe it'll be a 0844 as the revenue from this (based at 5p/min from a BT landline) is higher than revenue from 0845.

Sky will spin this and make it sound like they've "listened" to their customers and reduced the cost of the call but in reality it's because Sky will not receive any revenue from the call at all from around March 2008.

Saying that it's better than VM's new 25p/min tech support line.
      Last edited by bbb_uk; 04-07-07 at 07:11 AM.

Member5066 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

"In all fairness, Sky have not announced this or there reasoning officially. This was relayed onto us, and I made the story"

As said before, less time highlighting VM's shortcomings and more time spent protesting for ACTION about the DIRE tech support, which is totally unreasonable and of which SKY has had more than enough time to fix ! would be really nice please
      Last edited by Member5066; 04-07-07 at 07:35 AM.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As has been said it is going to be an 03 number as the most likely choice. it will be fixed price and it will be 5p max for the call. People with skytalk packages will have no charges.

tubemonster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Why haven't you guys been using SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers ? Just put in a company name or 0870...0845...etc number and see if there is a geographical alternative. Ive been calling Sky on the 01506 number and saving myself for ages!!! Click on "search to find an alternative number"

Happy savings

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I used that 01506 number last night and although I got through to the India desk she quicky transfered me to the correct department. I am alos going to use it at the weekend to change my TV package.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It covers loads of companies although some you'd expect to find aren't available but on the flip side I've found two at least that I thought no way would be there?? lol
      ALSO if you are on Sky Talk and you call Sky CS after 6pm.....IT'S FREE
      Last edited by tubemonster; 05-07-07 at 05:58 PM.

TheWhizzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tubemonster View Post
      It covers loads of companies although some you'd expect to find aren't available but on the flip side I've found two at least that I thought no way would be there?? lol
      ALSO if you are on Sky Talk and you call Sky CS after 6pm.....IT'S FREE

how do you know that??
      Please take a moment and upgrade your bit torrent client to the latest version.
      Help traffic shaped users by enabling protocol encryption in Az or T

bbb_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
      As has been said it is going to be an 03 number as the most likely choice. it will be fixed price and it will be 5p max for the call. People with skytalk packages will have no charges.
      If you mean 5p max for the call regardless of length of time then that is wrong as Sky can not control how much telephone companies like BT, VM, etc charge for calls.

An 03 call, when available, is charged at same rate as a geographical 01/02 call and included in any inclusive minutes (if applicable) us customers may have. BT currently charges maximum of 3p/min for geographical calls (01 & 02) which means if 03x was available then the call charge would be 3p/min not a maximum of 5p per call.

If you mean 5p per minute then that means Sky may have decided to take the 0844 route which costs upto 5p/min from a BT landline. Knowing Sky then it's likely 5p/min at anytime which means during the evening & weekend then it will be more expensive to ring Sky on their 0844 than on their 0870 and it also means that Sky would still be making money from people holding in a queue waiting for them to answer.

Remember that other telephone providers can charge what they like for calls and Sky have no control over how much these other providers charge.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhizzz View Post
      how do you know that??

Which part?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast