Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Satellite warranties

This is a discussion on Satellite warranties within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by jimmycobra they open up with big long speech about sky+ box, and do i use all the ...

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Satellite warranties

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycobra View Post
      they open up with big long speech about sky+ box, and do i use all the functions they also ask what programs i watch .

i would have told them i watch all those films with nuns and donkeys

2. Advertisement
      Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Funny how this topic cropped up again because I reported Satellite Direct to the Mail Preference Service for repeatedly sending me a letter stating that my Sky+ warranty was about to expire. This I found rather amusing at the time because my warranty expired years ago lol.

I called this company up and asked them to stop contacting me to no avail, I think I had around 8 letters in total and several phone calls trying to push extended warranty.

Anyway the MPS wrote back to me a few weeks back saying they were going to get intouch the company in question asking why they were writing to me when I'd not dealt with them nor requested info from them. This past weekend I received a letter from the Advertising Standards Agency saying my complaint had been escalated to them for further investigation and I should hear from them soon with the outcome. At most they'll fine Satellite Direct which will be a result if anything else.
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Keef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

I have received two cold calls within a week offering to sell me an extended warranty on my satellite system, the last one was on 31 Jan 08.
      The calls came from:

Satellite Direct UK Limited
      Imperium House,
      Ford Lane,
      Arundel,
      West Sussex,
      BN18 0DF

I feel they were very misleading in their approach.
      I believe that from the sales pitch over the phone many people would think that they are part of Sky, or at least affiliated to Sky.

The sales pitch goes along the lines of – we see your 12 month warranty has recently expired and for £xx per month we can extend it.

In my opinion this implies they know two things:

1. They have details of my subscription and when my 12 month warranty expired.

2. As they say “extend” the 12 month warranty they appear to be offering to continue an existing service.

I did ask them directly if they knew when my warranty expired and they were only able to give very vague answers such as “recently” or “within the last 6 months” so they obviously have no actual data on my specific system.

I also asked them directly if they were part of Sky, and at least they did admit they weren't when faced with such a blunt questuion.

Also I’m registered with the TPS so they shouldn’t have called me at all.

I've already raised this with the TPS, Trading Standards and mysky@bskyb.com. Next step is to write to the company and ask where they got my details from...

I see there have been a few complaints about this company before, but not for a while and based at a different address.
      Are they starting up again?

Cheers

Keef

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yup we've been bombarded by them over the last few weeks with multiple mailings, the lastest one has arrived yesterday and now I have just put on it "return to sender - not known at this address" and see if that stops it.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

As per the first post of this thread, if members or guests follow the advice offered, maybe Sky could do something about it?

We are very concerned that some of our customers are being misled and want to do whatever we can to prevent this happening in future. You can help. If you have been missold to, please email us at mysky@bskyb.com with a complete account of your experience and we will assess whether we can use the information to take any further action.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12