Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Sky Movies Relaunch

This is a discussion on Sky Movies Relaunch within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; From Sky posted on Digital spy Sky Movies Update We've been reading your comments about the re-brand of Sky Movies ...

fredwestie is offline DLM Admin
      Exchange: Shepherds Bush
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Movies Relaunch

From Sky posted on Digital spy

Sky Movies Update
      We've been reading your comments about the re-brand of Sky Movies with interest. While some of you welcome the changes, there are others who still want to know more about why we've done it and how this benefits you as a viewer. We hope this post will answer your questions.

First, why we did it? We decided to re-brand Sky Movies following eighteen months of customer research in which we found that you wanted an easier-to-navigate film service that gave you greater control and flexibility. You told us that you make most of your movie choices based on what genre of film you’re in the mood for. Our genre-based line-up has been designed to make it easier for you to find the type of film that you want to watch - so you know exactly where to head whether you're in the mood for a comedy or you fancy a horror flick.

Our aim is to provide the complete movie service for movie lovers and it is why we revamped the Sky Movies service. It is also why we launched Sky Anytime on PC allowing those of you who take Sky Movies 1 and 2 to download movies at no additional cost. It is why we launched Sky Movies Magazine - created by our friends at Total Film. It is why we're the only service provider to offer two HD movie channels, and it is also why we have remained committed to providing you movies uninterrupted by advertising breaks.

One of the biggest misconceptions surrounding the changes, which we’ve found on the forums, is that some of you think you're getting fewer movies as a result. We want to make it very clear that this is not the case. Sky Movies offers you exactly the same number of movies as before the re-brand. Our exclusive deals with all the major film studios mean we will continue to show 90% of the top box-office hits of the previous year – around 250 Sky Movies’ premieres in all, alongside our large collection of your favourite classic films. Indeed, now that we have a channel dedicated to independent film, we will be looking to increase our range of contemporary and classic independent titles.

The idea behind Premiere and Premiere +1 is to provide you with regular, easy access to the newest films on the service at a time that suits you – particularly if you don’t yet have Sky+. Each of our 5 premieres a week are now shown twice a night (eg 8pm & 9pm, 10pm & 11pm etc), every night for a week. So for example, over the next month it’ll be easier than ever before to catch the hottest new titles such as Capote, United 93, Miami Vice, and X Men: The Last Stand.

Some of you have also commented on the limited number of hours on some Sky Movie channels. We have listened to what you have to say and have now put plans in place to extend the hours of these channels from next month. We’ll keep you updated on this.

Some of you are also wondering why you are more frequently being asked to enter PINs to access a movie. Again, to satisfy your desire for more choice, with Ofcom's approval, for the first time we can now show you 12 and 15 rated movies before the watershed hour of 8pm across all of our movie channels. However, we have to safeguard against children watching unsuitable content, which means asking you to enter your PIN when you watch these movies. We hope that those of you without children will see this as a small inconvenience for a good cause. Dropping the PIN would mean having to offer a narrower choice of movies during the day.

We hope that this post has answered some of your questions. We will continue to read your comments on the forums and if you find updates like these useful, please let us know.

Thanks

The Sky Movies Team

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Movies Relaunch

Worthy of a front page airing I think

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

And there was me thinking they were going to go back to the old channels when I saw this thread. It makes an interesting read but I still question the fact that they are stating that we are getting basically the same deal as before. With two channels so premier films only I have to question this.

D24601 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton-In-Ashfield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      And there was me thinking they were going to go back to the old channels when I saw this thread. It makes an interesting read but I still question the fact that they are stating that we are getting basically the same deal as before. With two channels so premier films only I have to question this.
      Yep i agree Alan b, how can we have the same deal when we have gone from 12 channels down to 8<I don't count Prem & Prem +1 as channels as its the same crap on all week> why we need the prem +1 is beyond me that seems pointless,they could have used that for sci-fi OR horror instead of the sci-fi/horror channel, So far i haven't had 1 single friend say the think its better,they ALL say its worse, I haven't found anything to watch now for 4 nights at least before the change i could watch something repeated
      The pin thing-well i understand what he's saying BUT we all have built in settings for 15/18 rated films for those with kids, Its not annoying me much when I'm home, But it means i cant record a film if I'm not there to put the pin in,so i have to wait until I'm in to watch the film
      I don't remember sky asking me how to improve the movie channels
      improved its not thats for sure<DVD again tonight for me>
      D

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I personally dont subscribe to the movies, but I look forward to the day when sky recognize the growing potential of this site and start posting on here.
      I'm sure it will happen.

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Have to say I agree with the general concensus.

I'm not a big movie watcher, however under the old SM set up I could surf to a half decent film whenever I fancied, now however, there is a pile of dross on Premiere with possibly 1 decent film ALL WEEK.

Perhaps we aren't getting any less than we did before in terms of content BUT the channel rebrand seems to have highlighted what a load of old rubbish we have had served to us.

When I heard of the launch of premiere I thought "great, maybe now we will get some good movies to watch" sadly I was wrong.

In fact, it is so bad that there is talk in the Psycho household of scrapping the movies all together

Unfortunately, if you want to watch anything half decent it has to be box office