Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Dear Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Dear Sky Broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Well guys n gals, we know what we need to do, we need to either cancel, or refuse to re-sign ...

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dear Sky Broadband

Well guys n gals, we know what we need to do, we need to either cancel, or refuse to re-sign for Sky Broadband.

I feel sorry for the tier support guys that help out on these forums as they are obviously a separate entity, however it cannot be overlooked that sky are punching over their weight and cant cope with complex arguements.

"We only supply you with the internet"

This comment could well be the final nail in Sky's coffin and as soon as they are exposed, the better. Sky aren't the only broadband provider that takes the money and runs. Makes me think that BT Broadband won't be all that bad, at least they cant blame anyone, they own the line lol

2. Advertisement
      elric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Molesey
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do Sky support people use these forums?
      If so could someone explain what could be done and how hard it would be to implement it.
      I've been with other ISP's and ok there not blazing fast but they were adequate, they were not designed for gamers but they just had a reasonable service.

MrBlue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Migrated to BeThere.co.uk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds to me like Easynets implementation of packet shaping/prioritisation is causing the problem for gamers.

Also sounds to me like Sky support (Tier 1 at least) have no idea what they are talking about.

Some good news is that the response from Easynet's support was knowledgeable.

I am so glad I got out when I could!
      My Speed on BeThere...

I used to get less than 6mb on Sky!!!

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its not Tier 1's fault, they are only put in place to read and be polite.

I think people forget or dont know much about the tier structures that are put in place and their uses.

According to the Microsoft publication MCDST: Training aid.

Tier 1 is reserved for pc users who have had up to 6 months experience of using a pc. This is why they seem to not have a clue, its because they dont and have been reading from a script and a fault finding tool. Much the same as Windows Troubleshooter i imagine, you cant go any further without answering the question.

Tier 2 much the same as tier 1 accept these people have an active interest in PC's and normally deal with thier own problems at home until it gets too technical.

these guys have to establish quickly whether the caller is a beginner a tactical user, general user or highly experienced user. Most of the people get put through to tier 3 because its quickly recognised that we are highly experienced and have obviously tried everything that tier 1 can cope with.

I dont think Sky operate their Tier structure very well as Tier 2 dont seem to be used that much as most queries seem to be passed from 1 to 3 most times as its due to a problem with the line.

Anyway i'll stop pratling on

MrBlue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Migrated to BeThere.co.uk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am not trying to blame tier 1. These issues are almost alwasy caused by bad management. And like you say Sky's tier structure is clearly not functioning efficiently at all.

Having said that Tier 1 should at least have a good understanding of the products they support. And from comments on these forums it seems as if that is not the case.

Sky CS wouldn't have these issues if the BB product wasn't so bad.
      My Speed on BeThere...

I used to get less than 6mb on Sky!!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

We have now updated the May 2007 Survey with relevant questions regarding Gaming / Pings.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/survey.php

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

julessandra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      As you are aware there are numerous complaints of people with in game PINGS, whilst we understand the path that you are taking by putting people on INTERLEAVING instead of FASTPATH, would it be possible to make exceptions for those of your customers who are avid gamers?

A few ISP's give the customer the choice to swap from INTERLEAVING to FASTPATH but then incur a charge if no better or the need to revert back to INTERLEAVED.

An example of which is NewNet

Please note that a charge of £6 (£7.05 inc VAT) will be applied to all requests to change interleaf status (including from Auto to ON or OFF as part of initial order).

Broadband

I think possibly that you may have underestimated the number of people who are flocking to Sky Broadband because of the price and then being so disappointed by the fact that their gaming has suffered.

Would it be possible for Sky to even consider changing this policy?

The following posts in this thread show the demand for such an option.
      i really dont understand whats happeing ere "policy" "interleaving " ive been on fastpath since the day i joined back in october!

elric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Molesey
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Second person to fill in the survey, I must be an early worm.
      Done some speed tests on my MAx and can't even hit mid package ranges although my upload seems acceptable.
      MAX package.

TRIaXOR™ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDRU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

When I was with bulldog, I asked tech support to put me on Fastpath on my "Doublespeed" package dropped my pings to clarity.jolt.co.uk from 34ms to 19ms, double edged sword tho, my Download speed fell by 1.5Mb good thing it was free to go back to interleaved