Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Dear Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Dear Sky Broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by MrBlue Well, Sad to say. But the is the exact reason I have left Sky Broadband. I ...

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dear Sky Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlue View Post
      Well, Sad to say. But the is the exact reason I have left Sky Broadband.

I am now with BeThere.co.uk and their service is excellent, including their customer service (Sky's CS is non existant).

Be are more than happy to switch users between interleaving and fastpath. All you have to do is give them a call and it is done within the hour. They also have different profiles you can try on each mode to tweak you ATTN and SNR for better speeds and reliability.

OK, So it is 14 per month more for the full package but it is a hell of a lot better. Well worth it.

I suggest you all leave and switch to BeThere.

If Sky will not cancel your contract (which they should do because their service is sub-standard) I would seek legal advice.

OH, And BTW. My pings are excellent. (Counter Strike Source = Sub 20 on good UK servers).
      Hate to burst your bubble about Be Broadband but O2 have bought Be over and will be marketing it as O2 Broadband. How do i know? I've gone for a job on Tier 2 support.

Be were the first BB provider to offer up to 24Mb and i'm sure O2 will be wanting to knock sky out of the water by offering this service over Sky's 16b max package. Sky better get thier act together on the broadband front because contracts dont last forever and O2 are looking to be the leader with BT Broadband. Whether its reliable i dont know, however if you say that you quite like Be then o2 have simply struck gold with this one.

Watch this space

2. Advertisement
      Weston67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halesowen
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have been suffering from terrible BB service since joining Sky, however I'm thinking of keeping the service for my girlfriend as she doesn't play online games and just surfs which is all this connection seems useful for. I have been in touch with sky on a number of occasions, responses below:

Dear Mr Weston,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support in response to our reply.

As my colleagues have previously stat ed we are unable to provide you with fast path and the ping rates you are receiving are considered by sky to be acceptable.

The latency will vary between different games it is not an exact science.

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08705 515 515.

Thanks

Heather
      Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky
      Sky.com - Home

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

This is all well and good saying that it increases our latency, and I know I’m not the only one in the this boat. When I discussed Sky Broadband with one of your sales reps I was guaranteed that it would be sufficient to play online games, “run perfectly” would be the phrase to quote the woman. Now whenever I join a server I get pings of over 100 which is unacceptable. There are people from as far away as Germany connecting to these servers with pings of less than 50 which to me highlights that there is a problem with Sky Broadband which needs addressing.

I would like to refer you to the following thread: High Latency which involves a number of people which are complaining about their latency. Your technical guys have managed to solve the problems in a number of instances so I don’t see why I should just be fobbed off by your generic email.

Can you please look into this and let me know that you are doing so otherwise I’ll be taking my connection elsewhere.

Regards

Matt Weston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Sky Broadband Support [mailto:help@skycustomersupport.com]
      Sent: 10 April 2007 07:20

Dear Mr Weston,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

Your High Ping/Latency is due to the method that Sky provides your broadband. We use an interleaving service which, even though it provides high speeds on a stable connection, can cause the latency to increase. Other ISPs often provide what is called a fast path service. This fast path service will lower your ping/latency, at the cost of your speed and stability. Sky does not implement fast path, and it is policy that all customers must be set to Interleave. At this time, there is nothing that we can do to lower your latency, and there are no current plans to introduce Fast path onto the Sky service in the near, or distant future.

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08705 515 515.

Kind regards

David

Sky

Sky.com - Home
      Second response:

Dear Mr Weston,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support in response to our reply.

As my colleagues have previously stat ed we are unable to provide you with fast path and the ping rates you are receiving are considered by sky to be acceptable.

The latency will vary between different games it is not an exact science.

Thanks

Heather
      Sky
      Sky.com - Home
      Is it possible to drop down from the Mid connection to Base connection without incurring penalties?

FrostFree is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Their response can't be right, Some sky users are on fastpath.

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My two cents!

I think that if Sky were to offer the choice at first instance whether you want interleaving or Fast path your going to get the usual people that want a description of what the difference is. This won't happen due to the nature of the technicalities of these terms.

However, knowing humans we will always go with the word "faster" meaning that you will probably be able to get people onto fastpath for the extra 6 knowing that it might just increase your speed.

All i know is that i WON'T be renewing my Sky BB when it runs out.

MrBlue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Migrated to BeThere.co.uk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paulst30 View Post
      Hate to burst your bubble about Be Broadband but O2 have bought Be over and will be marketing it as O2 Broadband. How do i know? I've gone for a job on Tier 2 support.

Be were the first BB provider to offer up to 24Mb and i'm sure O2 will be wanting to knock sky out of the water by offering this service over Sky's 16b max package. Sky better get thier act together on the broadband front because contracts dont last forever and O2 are looking to be the leader with BT Broadband. Whether its reliable i dont know, however if you say that you quite like Be then o2 have simply struck gold with this one.

Watch this space
      O2 Bought Be in June 2006. I have been aware of this for a long time. If O2 make changes that I don't like I can leave as Be is a monthly contract
      My Speed on BeThere...

I used to get less than 6mb on Sky!!!

philash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVGRE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ping Problems is just another Problem in a long line that I've had since moving from Virgin to Sky.
      Been a Customer for a Month, and Already I'm in contact with OFCOM.

I won't bore you with other issues involving TV and PHONE, or the fact that I was mislead into joining Sky, and they have found the telephone call to prove it.

I think Sky have fallen behind in all their Products/Services, Hence the Price being cheap.

I've been told I can't move to fastpath, so I'm out after a month.
      OFCOM have advised me to proceed with civil action, then legal due to other issues not involving BB.

but I always gave them benefit of doubt and plenty of time to redeem themselves, which they haven't.

I'm forcing there hands to cancel contract, suggest you do the same.

Gaming pings of 60 is laughable. Yet they misinform you that they provide a great gaming service.

My Advice, Leave.

I already convinced 4 family members to not renew.

They are not willing to help you, they don't care. So why wait

Mzone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i too am having this problem, when i was with cable (virgin) i only had 1 mg internet and never had any truble but cos sky was being funny about who can watch sky TV i had to change and i have high ping on every game i play i am sick to death of talking to the technical suport who dont have a clue about anything and if they did i dont know what there saying can we get english call centers? if this is not fixed very soon then i am not going to pay my bill and ill go somewhere else with out the problems im getting here

DONT GET SKY INTERNET!!!

elric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Molesey
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How I wish I had found this site before signing up.

I've been with sky for a few months and did not really have a problem except I was on the connect, I've just upgraded to mid and instantly can't play due to the problems as you've already described. I ran winMTR and I'm finding ip-89-200-132-53.ov.easynet.net is causing me big problems avg 60% loss
      Once I realised I had a problem and spoke with Sky, there tecnical support told me it was because the connect has a higher upload speed than Mid and this was my problem, I doubted it but follwed their advice an upgraded to Max, no difference. Interesting that mid has a slower upload speed and as such I might consider myself disadvantaged, Section 7 of SKY terms and agreements which possibly opens the way to end the contract

I am in contact with Easynet at present because sky did not know what I was talking about and quote sky " we don't support gaming"
      Easynet ph no 0845 3334445, Maybe we should all be talking to Easynet and bypassing SKY for technical support.

Algaris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Helston
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dear Sky

I was very much delighted to receive your email stating that I could sign up for Sky Broadband Connect for 5 a month and then upgrade to your full service when available in my area. Add to this a free wireless router, and it almost seems too good to be true. It most definitely beats the 23.99 a month I'm currently paying.

The only thing that is holding me back from signing up is the reports of slow speeds and high pings for online gaming, which I find quite worrying. I'm not the most prolific gamer out there, but when I do play I like it to be fast and responsive. If by offering a choice between Interleave and Fastpath you can fix these issues, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

elric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Molesey
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

See 2 up,

Easy net response:
      The packet loss you are seeing at "ip-89-200-132-53.ov.easynet.net" and "ip-89-200-132-122.ov.easynet.net" is perfectly normal. Our backbone routers delay non-critical packets (in this situation ICMP or "ping" packets) in favour of others using a process known as traffic prioritising. This improves the overall efficiency of the network.

The only the packet loss which should be of concern is that on the final few hops (e.g. the exchange) or at the CPE (router).

Regards

--
      Easynet DSL Support
      dslsupport@uk.easynet.net
      Tel: 0845 333 3375
      Status Message: 0845 333 3370
      Status Page: Welcome to Easynet the leading pan-European Business Broadband provider.
      I have re-contated SKY and asked for a ticket to be opened for Tier 3 support and they completly refuse, they are saying to me, " we only connect you to the internet nothing more".

LMAO, when talking to technical support I spoke about fast path and interleaving and he said we don't support interleaving.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast