Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Dear Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Dear Sky Broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; yeah i thought i should be getting higher speeds as well, but after speaking to sky, (i think it was ...

emilio69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Portsmouth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Dear Sky Broadband

yeah i thought i should be getting higher speeds as well, but after speaking to sky, (i think it was tier 2 or 3) they bumped it up to the 9.2 something form 8 something and said this was all i could syn at at the moment. DOes this sound likely or are they just trying to mess me around? I am connected to my living room socket at the moment cause the master and test socket are in a little utility cupboard which annoyingly has no power outlets, so i cannot keep it plugged into the master permanantly. However, i did run an extension across the hall for test purposes, and with the router in the test socket gives exact same results. Its a brand new flat so im assuming theres not going to be too much in the error of internal wiring. I just dont know if the speed im getting is acceptable for Max or i can get higher but they are just being lazy/couldnt give a dam what speed i get.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If its capped you will get the same speeds but if you have a test socket behind your master socket plate posting stats from there (directly plugged in without an extension) will help us see what is happening. It could be internal wiring even in a new build house.
      If it's the wiring at fault or use of extensions etc then it's not Skys fault

Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8998 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 5.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 17 db

These are the stats from test socket, seem to have got lower downstream since i powered off my router. Does this shine anymore light on the situation?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

can you get another set of the same stats from your "normal" setup too please so we can compare a set taken close together?

Thanks

Sorry im being an idiot - These are my stast from the Test Port-

Connection Speed 10075 kbps 762 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 17 db

These are them from the normal socket-

Connection Speed 9048 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 5.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 17 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Can you confirm that these stats are from the Test socket, accessed by removing the front plate of your Master socket? If so, you do not appear to be capped, your problem is with your outside line. Do you have noise on your line? Have you asked for your ping to be reduced?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes the top set of readings is from the test socket behind the faceplate on the master socket. The bottom readings are where the router lives normally, which is the socket in the living room. At the moment i am having problems with my phone/router (not sure exactly!) that when the adsl cable is connected to the router, whether it is switched on or off, my phone line is dead. When i say dead, i mean if you try to make a call there is no dial tone, and just hear kind of static or crackling. Though it might be a problem with the router, but was confused why it was happening with the router off. The only way i can use the phone is to disconnect the adsl cable form the router or the filter, so in theory only the phone is connected. Could this have anything to do with the problem? I spoke to tier 2 or 3, not sure which, and they said they are investigating and will contact BT to see if anything is wrong at the exchange (wiring etc) and then they would get back to me within 48 hours, which im not holding my breath for! The only advantage to come from all of this is they had to ring my mobile to advise me on what steps to take with the router plugged in, leaving a direct number to tier 2/3 so i can call them straight back without all the fuss

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

The only advantage to come from all of this is they had to ring my mobile to advise me on what steps to take with the router plugged in, leaving a direct number to tier 2/3 so i can call them straight back without all the fuss
      Have you tried it? You might find it does not work with incoming calls and redirects you to the normal support line.
      The problem you describe with your phone can be caused by faulty filters. Does this happen in all your sockets or just the one the router is plugged into? Try swapping the filters around.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It does indeed work, i thought the same as you until i tried it.

I have tried connecting to various different sockets and tried all the 3 filters that came with the router. Gonna give it til tomorrow to see if i hear back from Sky before i give them another call to chase it up

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213