Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BSkyB response to Ofcom statement

This is a discussion on BSkyB response to Ofcom statement within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; In response to Ofcom's announcement of a market investigation into the pay-TV industry, a Sky spokesman said: "The marketplace for ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BSkyB response to Ofcom statement

In response to Ofcom's announcement of a market investigation into the pay-TV industry, a Sky spokesman said:

"The marketplace for entertainment and communications services is fiercely competitive and changing fast. From the BBC to Google, BT to Apple and Vodafone to Virgin Media amongst many others, customers have never had a broader set of businesses competing for their time and custom.

"We note the references in Ofcom's statement to Sky's proposed pay-TV service on the DTT platform and the dispute with Virgin Media regarding the availability of Sky's basic channels.

"BT, Top Up TV and Setanta all have a commercial interest in preventing Sky from increasing customer choice by developing a new pay-TV service on the DTT platform.

"Recent events have also drawn attention to the fact that cable is a closed network with substantial protections. In any market investigation, we'd expect Ofcom to look at the physical and legal barriers and business practices that shield Virgin Media from true competition and prevent consumers from enjoying lower prices in broadband and telephony and greater innovation and choice in television."
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 20-03-07 at 07:49 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: BSkyB response to Ofcom statement

prevent consumers from enjoying lower prices in broadband and telephony and greater innovation and choice in television.
      That is so true......I had no choice but Sky, which is wrong.

I wonder how many more people are only with Sky because they have no choice.

gareth824 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BE
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaztops View Post
      That is so true......I had no choice but Sky, which is wrong.

I wonder how many more people are only with Sky because they have no choice.

I am for TV as NTL don't service the area. I am only with Sky for TV as we don't have any alternative.

darrenmdr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Peters
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I can't get NTL/Telewest/Virgin where I am so I am using Sky. To be honest even if cable was available, I would probably still stick to using Sky. Having been to relatives who have cable services, the television side of thing seems a lot better with sky. Now what does attract me to cable, is the ability to dump BT and their constant blame everybody else attitude. If I was able to, I'd have both cable and sky installed, stick to sky for my TV and cable for everything else.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      "BT, Top Up TV and Setanta all have a commercial interest in preventing Sky from increasing customer choice by developing a new pay-TV service on the DTT platform."
      I think it's bit rich for Sky to talk about "customer choice".

What choice did viewers have when previously free to air material -- sports events and the series 24 and Lost were removed to Sky ?

The statement sounds a lot like the sort of thing Microsoft say when hauled up on monopoly charges.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm sure Virgin/Telewest/NTL would get more customers if they had a wider coverage. It would be better for competition if the majority of people did have an alternative to Sky.

beethoven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWAL (LLU since Oct06)
      Broadband ISP: connect billed as 17 - 12 = 5
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Hope this includes investigation includes BT's still dominant gate keeper role in preventing an organic growth of broadband. BT should triple their effort to provide LLU access to all who want it.
      We are fortunate to have four choices: analogue, freeview, cable and satellite - tried the first three, tired of the first three, satellite picture quality much better. freeview boxes on the other four tvs in the house!

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Choice for consumers always keeps the providers on their toes.

I don't mind viewing my programmes through Sky as I think they do provide a good service. Expensive though because of the lack of competition for similar products - there isn't any really.

Regarding Broadband, I have to say thankyou to Sky as they were the only ones willing to spend big bucks in unlooping exchanges, which before them doing so meant I could not get broadband speeds.

Personally I'd love for Virgin/Sky/BT etc to start rolling out cable/fibre to all - including the small villages and not just the big residential areas.

tony5101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Seaham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deskmonkey View Post
      Choice for consumers always keeps the providers on their toes.

I don't mind viewing my programmes through Sky as I think they do provide a good service. Expensive though because of the lack of competition for similar products - there isn't any really.

Regarding Broadband, I have to say thankyou to Sky as they were the only ones willing to spend big bucks in unlooping exchanges, which before them doing so meant I could not get broadband speeds.

Personally I'd love for Virgin/Sky/BT etc to start rolling out cable/fibre to all - including the small villages and not just the big residential areas.

I'd also love Virgin to provide a service where I live - 10,000 plus residences and growing quite quickly - no sign of cable though :-(
      The terrestrial TV signal is total crap - Freeview is totally non-existant - not even Channel 5 (maybe not a bad thing!) so at the moment Sky is the only way to go for a decent TV picture.
      Mind you - having said that, I don't want my driveway being dug up to lay the cable either - can't have it all ways I suppose.

Tony
      Last edited by tony5101; 20-03-07 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Madjock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wallsend
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky offer the best deals atm i`ve been with NTL:Telewest now VM and the price difference in my household is a 30-40 quid saving a year thanks to the BB offer from Sky. And thats nothing to do with my telephone bills either which is just the BT line rental casue i have taken the Sky free phone calls day and night thingy .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast