Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky launches Sky Cinema: bringing customers even closer to the movies

This is a discussion on Sky launches Sky Cinema: bringing customers even closer to the movies within the Sky Movies forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent..._to_the_movies Sky today announces the launch of Sky Cinema on 8 July. Set to replace Sky Movies in the UK ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Sky launches Sky Cinema: bringing customers even closer to the movies

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent..._to_the_movies

Sky launches Sky Cinema: bringing customers even closer to the movies-sky-cinema-620x349.jpg
      Sky today announces the launch of Sky Cinema on 8 July. Set to replace Sky Movies in the UK & Ireland, customers will be able to enjoy even more of the biggest and best movies closer to cinema release than any other subscription service. All available live, on demand or on the go.

Building on more than a quarter of a century of heritage in home cinema, Sky Cinema customers will have access to a new movie premiere every day, an even bigger library of on demand films, more pop up channels as well as better HD picture and sound quality , taking them one step closer to the cinema experience.

All this is available at no extra cost to existing and new subscribers. Furthermore, HD will be offered as standard to all Sky Cinema customers on the Sky and Virgin Media platforms.

Sky Cinema will be the biggest dedicated movie subscription service in Europe as Sky’s movie services in Germany, Austria and Italy are also rebranded and relaunched under the new name. Further announcements are planned in those markets in the coming months.

Millions of Sky Movies customers who enjoy the service on Sky, via the NOW TV monthly movies pass, or through platforms like BT, Virgin Media and TalkTalk can expect:

A new movie premiere every day!

The improved service will feature a new premiere every single day of the week. This is a 75% increase on the four per week offered by Sky Movies.

Spectre (8 July), Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (9 July), Steve Jobs (18 September), Bridge of Spies (30 September) and The Danish Girl (23rd October) will all premiere in the first few months alone. The Jungle Book, Zootopia and Captain America: Civil War are set to headline Sky’s most ambitious Christmas movie collection yet.

Major films are available just 8 months after cinema release, and can be watched exclusively on Sky Cinema for over a year before you can watch them on any other subscription service. 45 of the top 50 films at the UK Box Office in 2015 are exclusive to Sky Movies.

It’s not only about blockbusters; customers can enjoy more of the best stories from around the world with a dedicated new ‘World Cinema’ slot every Wednesday from 10pm. Some of the critically-acclaimed films coming up include: El Ardor (Argentina); Theeb (UAE); Tangerines (Estonia) and many more.

An even bigger library of films on demand

Consumers can enjoy the biggest ever line-up of blockbuster and classic movies on demand, with around 1,200 films available to view instantly, an increase of 20%. More than half of all the films watched on Sky are on demand with one billion downloads or streams in the last two years alone.

Sky Cinema will be the home of Star Wars and all the biggest franchises

Sky Cinema will be the exclusive home of Star Wars and many other blockbuster franchises including all the biggest films from the DC Comics and Marvel universes.

Starting with Star Wars, Sky Cinema will premiere the decade’s most anticipated film Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens in August 2016. In celebration Sky Cinema will air the hugely successful Star Wars pop-up channel in August and September featuring the entire Star Wars back catalogue and lots of themed programming. Sky customers can look forward to seeing all the films as the franchise continues to unfold including Rogue One (August 2017) and Episode VIII (August 2018).

Sky Cinema will also be the home of Superheroes. Sky Cinema will feature all the latest instalments in the DC Comic and Marvel Universes such as Captain America Civil War, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad due to hit screens over the next couple of years along with all the latest films from the X-Men and Spiderman franchises.

Even more pop-up channels and original programming

Building on the success of Sky Movies pop-up channels like 007, Harry Potter and Aliens, Sky Cinema is planning even more. There will be at least one every month rather than only a few times each year. Already in the pipeline for the next six months are Disney-Pixar, Star Trek and Superheroes as well as channels showcasing the work of iconic actors including Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks.

As well as pop up channels, Sky Cinema will feature more original programming such as interviews and film documentaries alongside coverage of movie events.

An even closer to cinema viewing experience for Sky customers

The enhanced viewing experience will come to life through a number of new features for customers watching through Sky+HD or Sky Q including:

• New, improved HD as standard
      • Even better sound quality, closer to the cinema experience, for on demand films
      • New tools to help customers watch and find their favourite films including the ‘Restart’ feature which means customers can watch films from the very beginning no matter what point they switch on
      • Sky Q customers can look forward to Ultra HD films by the end of the year

To improve the HD, Sky is using a new internal master format that provides a third more pixels and four times the number of colour shades of the current HD offered. This means sharper and more vibrant pictures for a better viewing experience. As well as improved picture, selected movies on demand will also have sound closer to cinema. The sound range has been increased in part by taking the audio track straight from the studios. It means louder bangs and quieter whispers with no need for customer to make any adjustments to their TV.

Ian Lewis, Director of Sky Cinema, Europe commented: “With Sky Cinema we are giving customers an even closer to the cinema experience with enhanced picture and sound quality. However, we know the heart of the service is great movies. Customers want a breadth of the latest quality films to enjoy with the flexibility to watch whenever they want and on whatever device they choose. Sky Cinema builds on this commitment with even more premieres and instant access to an unrivalled library of the latest blockbusters and classic films. A better service needs a new name and Sky Cinema is about delivering the ultimate offering for movie fans everywhere.”

All films will be available on 11 dedicated live channels, via on demand, or on the go through Sky Go and the dedicated Sky Cinema app. Sky Cinema is still the only subscription service that lets you download all films for offline viewing.

Some of the premieres on Sky Cinema in July and August

July
      Spectre
      Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
      Ant-Man
      Minions Movie
      Crimson Peak
      Strange Magic
      The Walk
      Solace
      Theeb
      Everest
      Me, Earl and the Dying girl
      Tangerines
      The Scout’s Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
      Four Corners
      Burnt
      El Ardor

August
      Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
      The Man from U.N.C.L.E
      The Martian
      The Good Dinosaur
      Hotel Transylvania 2
      Suffragette
      The Perfect Guy
      Sixteen
      Pan
      Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods
      The Dressmaker
      Survivalist
      Tokyo Tribe
      Hour of the Lynx

2. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

Re: Sky launches Sky Cinema: bringing customers even closer to the movies

Should that not be a re-launch of Sky Cinema?
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

So the improved HD is by increasing the pixels!???!! I thought they output 1080i

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      So the improved HD is by increasing the pixels!???!! I thought they output 1080i
      Maybe they haven't had them all turned on up to now?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Maybe they haven't had them all turned on up to now?
      Exactly . Be interesting on the exact specs of what they are actually doing. Better compression methods? Upgrade from 1080i to 1080p? Or is a lot of the transmissions actually in 720p not 1080i?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Exactly . Be interesting on the exact specs of what they are actually doing. Better compression methods? Upgrade from 1080i to 1080p? Or is a lot of the transmissions actually in 720p not 1080i?
      You/We're not supposed to be asking stuff like that!
      You/We're just supposed to be cooing in dribbling wonderment at the improvement...
      reddwarfcrew likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Steele11 (07-07-16)

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Has there been any report on what, if anything, is being done to films already available on Sky Movies (broadcast or on demand)? Will on demand films be replaced by versions with better video and audio? Or will the master source on the Sky servers be unchanged, just what's broadcast/streamed from it upgraded?

I ask because video and audio quality are very important to me, and I would like to know if it would be worthwhile to delete films currently recorded on my Sky Q box and re-record them once Sky Cinema is live.
      JPL

Thanks

There are a few things happening behind the scenes. From what I understand both the on-line and broadcast content will be improved.

If you have previously downloaded a film, then the new copy should be of better quality. However I don't think that the entire library will be updated overnight. There are literally thousand of films available from Sky which can be downloaded now.

It is mostly the picture quality which has been improved. Sadly, for me at least, 5.1 surround sound will continue to the norm. I'd love Sky to adopt 7.1 surround sound myself, but I suspect that I'm in a minority.

Just how much of a difference I can't say at this time. I understand it is noticeable for those who are interested.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Yes, much as I suspected. If the files on the servers have to be replaced, it will indeed be a massive job.

It may be possible to guess whether an on demand film has been updated by checking on the download size via the All Formats option.

Maybe 4k/UHD (another minority!) will have 7.1 ...
      JPL

Thanks

At this time I don't know if there will be any indication, other than the size of the download, as to whether or not a film has been redone. Just how much of a difference it akes to the file size I couldn't say. If it's too small then people will be unsure. If it's too large then people will complain about how much room they take and any download allowance being chewed up.

From what I understand, sadly Sky's 4K service will also only support 5.1 surround sound.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast