Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem setting up magic eye

This is a discussion on Problem setting up magic eye within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I'm trying to set up a magic eye on a Sky+HD box which uses an I/O device as opposed to ...

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Problem setting up magic eye

I'm trying to set up a magic eye on a Sky+HD box which uses an I/O device as opposed to connecting to an RF2 outlet. If I plug the magic eye into the outlet from the I/O device then the red light on the magic eye goes on so there is a signal coming from the box. My flat is wired up with co-axial cable to all the bedrooms and the lounge. There is a four way splitter in a cupboard in the hall and it has DC Pass marked on it with an arrow from every outlet towards the In terminal. However when I plug the magic eye into the TV in the bedroom the red light doesn't come on or even if I plug it into the wall socket in the bedroom there is no red light. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong or what I might need to change to get this to work? I reckon if I ran a cable direct from the I/O device to the bedroom bypassing the four way splitter it would work but I don't want to do this unless I can't get the internal cabling to work.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problem setting up magic eye

Try plugging the magic eye direct into the outlet on the 4 way splitter to try to confirm it is the splitter causing the issue? If it is could you not bypass the splitter for that bedroom outlet or do you need all 4 feeds working? It is also worth noting that some wall plates block DC. Check the back of the wall plates, if there are any components on the back it’s likely this is blocking the DC. Straight through plates are available.

Thanks

Thanks. When I connect the magic eye to the splitter outlet there is no red light but when I bypass the splitter completely the magic eye works in the bedroom however the Freeview signal in the bedroom is much better than the sky signal. I need to get all 4 feeds working if possible so maybe a different splitter would work better?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds like that’s your problem! Is the splitter mains powered? If not you will get quite a lose in signal splitting it four ways, you need a powered splitter/booster really although the picture will always be better on freeview because the freeview signal is digital whereas the RF output from a Sky box is analogue.
      This might be the answer:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...kaAiIYEALw_wcB

Thanks

the splitter isn't mains powered but I do have a two way splitter which I could try to see if that makes any difference. I have been looking for splitters on various websites but haven't noticed any powered ones so far. Is it possible that my existing four way splitter could have failed in some way or is that unlikely as there are no moving parts in it?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

More likely it is just not compatable with Sky, the one in the link below is compatable and gets its power from the Sky box so no mains needed!

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...kaAiIYEALw_wcB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Koala5 For This Useful Post:

bryan (07-01-18)

Thanks

Thanks for that. I decided I wanted an extra outlet making five in total so I bought this item instead from Screwfix which they had in stock locally. I now find that while it lights up the red light on the magic eye it still doesn't work so I've ordered a Labgear magic eye as i'm presuming that Labgear have designed their amplifier to only work with their own magic eyes. I did get my existing magic eye to work using the two way splitter that I have which proves it does work but a two way splitter isn't what I want here.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-m...r-return/64936

Thanks

As I'm still not happy with the configuration I've got I'm posting my observations to see if anyone can help me improve things. I had tried the Labgear LDL206 powered amp but found the magic eye sometimes worked but more often than not didn't work and there was the buzzing noise on the satellite channel in the peripheral rooms. So I tried my original basic unpowered two way splitter with one channel DC pass which is easy to get the magic eye to work and fed the second output to my original unpowered four way splitter so that I can get TV in the other rooms. (This four way splitter claims to have DC pass to all four outputs but I could never get a magic eye to work on any of these).

This arrangement gives as good reception on Freeview channels as the LDL206 powered amp and at least in the bedroom the magic eye (mostly) works. The Sky channel picture is almost as good as with the LDL206 however the buzzing noise is still present with the unpowered splitters which proves the buzzing wasn't caused by the powered LDL206 amp. Then yesterday for a while the magic eye in the bedroom stopped working for a while (the red light was not on and I couldn't change the channel) but the buzzing noise on the Sky channel had stopped! Later in the day the day the magic eye started working again (without me doing anything much) but the buzzing noise had returned although not perhaps quite as loud as with the LDL206. This suggests that the buzzing noise has something to do with the DC pass when it is working.

I had been in touch with Labgear earlier and first they had suggested I swap the LDL206 for another one which I did but with the second LDL206 amp I couldn't get the magic eye to work at all... and they said the buzzing noise could be caused by a ground loop effect which I would have to deal with myself. I looked up some stuff about ground loop effects and found that sometimes plugging all devices into the same wallsockets might help. So I used a long extension lead and plugged the Sky HD box and the TV in the bedroom into the same wall socket but this didn't stop the buzzing noise on the Sky channel. As mentioned before the only time I've manged to stop the buzzing noise is when the magic eye isn't working....

I suppose a simple solution would be to ditch the Sky HD box and get Sky Q with a mini Sky Q box in the bedroom but before I do that I'm sort of hoping there might be a solution to have the magic eye working without the buzzing noise as well.

I also had handed back the second LDL206 and bought a Labgear 6 way Professional splitter FBS126/S with one channel DC pass.
      https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-p...er-6-way/48074
      However when I set this up with an input from the Sky box and one output from the channel with the DC pass the magic eye didn't work at all.... so I went back to using the old two way splitter and the four way splitter combination which at least gave me a magic eye working and a feed to every other room in the flat.

I guess this seems quite complicated but hopefully someone will understand what I am doing and maybe suggest something I haven't tried yet. :-)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the led on the magic eye is not illuminated you may need to provide it with its own power using a separate power supply and DC inserter.
      The Sky Digital power supply and DC inserter shown here:
      Satellite Superstore UK
      should be suitable.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

bryan (24-01-18)

Thanks

Thanks very much for that useful idea. Another question I have relates to whether there is any difference between a Sky HD box with and RF2 outlet (the older models) as opposed to newer models which have no RF2 outlets but use I/O devices plugged into a socket on the back?

My Sky HD box is one of the newer ones which uses an I/O device whereas my old Sky+ box had an RF2 outlet and when it was working properly I never had a problem with buzzing noises on the Sky channels....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast