Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By speedyrite

BETA Test Sky+ in 2016

This is a discussion on BETA Test Sky+ in 2016 within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; This post went up on Friday in the sky community forum asking for new beta testers for sky+; Hi all, ...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

BETA Test Sky+ in 2016

This post went up on Friday in the sky community forum asking for new beta testers for sky+;

Hi all,
      It's a little known fact that Sky BETA trials are hosted in this very Community. Smiley Wink That's right, we have a top secret area in here where we test our latest STB software.
      We have a rare opportunity for additional Community members to join our Sky+ BETA testing program in 2016. It's safe to say that these places don't come up very often.
      You must meet the below requirements to take part:
      Have an active Sky subscription and a box model beginning with "DRX890" or "DRX895". If you're unsure of your box model then you're probably not the right person for BETA. Smiley Tongue
      Willing to agree to an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). All trials are highly confidential, so we can only accept members who agree to the full terms.
      You may experience stability issues or bugs with your Sky service. It's your job to find them and test fixes.
      Be a current member of the Sky Community.
      Who are we looking for?
      People that can get along with other members and development staff.
      Those that have a passion for technology.
      People that want to shape the product and viewing experience for over 10 million people.
      How can you take part?
      Just post below and tell us why you want to BETA test Sky+. We will contact those that are successful.
      This opportunity is exclusive to Sky Community members.
      This post will be removed in 7 days.

BETA Test Sky+ in 2016 - Sky Community

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (24-04-16)

3. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Was privileged to participate in Sky+HD beta trialing for quite a long time prior to ditching Sky in January this year. Good bunch of friendly folks! Nice to have early access to new features and (try to) help tweak them. I'd strongly recommend that anybody interested should go for it.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BETA Test Sky+ in 2016

I have the complete opposite opinion here. I personally don't think Sky do a very good job with beta testing.

For instance, the ongoing smart series link issue was never picked up in any of the beta testing. Also the fact I mentioned this on the Sky official forum and basically just got shot down by other (unfriendly) beta testers. Many of the people who take part are not particular interested in reporting bugs, more interested in just getting stuff first.

I steer well clear of all Sky beta testing now for this very reason now.

TBH the whole official Sky forum community isn't a particularly friendly place now full stop.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Agree with your sentiments about the Sky Community.

And yes some of the beta testers just want early access and probably don't participate much.

And yes there are one or two fervent trialists for whom Sky can do nobwrong.

On the whole though, most do the best they can to find & report issues, also to feedback opinion to Sky on new features.

Sadly Sky don't listen enough to the feedback from trialists! That is the real problem in my opinion.

Towards the end of my time, I started to feel that feedback was of no interest to them and that they just wanted to launch features rough edges and all.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      PS I can assure you that the shortcomings of smart series links were much highlighted during the trial period. But I think they were under pressure to get the feature out there by a certain date, no matter what!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Many of those who have been involved in the Sky+ HD Beta testing have been involved for quite some time now. The group has worked well together and the input has helped steer things in a better direction frequently.

Yes you'll get to see new features much sooner than others. Sometimes those features get changed significantly before they go public too.

Be warned though, occasionally a code doesn't work well and your box could lock-up unexpectedly. There are ways to handle this, but normally a fix will be just a short wait.

It is good fun though. You get access to a less public side of Sky. One where you can learn more about where Sky might be heading in the future for how they might wish to deliver all the TV programmes and films which you watch at home.

It is important to remember that there is an NDA. This means that as much as I would love to discuss what goes wrong in more detail, even a case of Baileys won't be enough.

Ultimately all those who participate have the same goal in mind. To get the new features working well on the Sky+ HD STBs.

Some things, such as the Smart Series Links, need work behind the scenes. This work may be on going and dependant on other things that are outside the control of the beta group.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

I thought this was the purpose of those who were employed by Sky?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
      I thought this was the purpose of those who were employed by Sky?
      The developers will do some testing of the software in isolation (perhaps using a simulator), the equivalent to unit testing in conventional software development world. There is also probably some wider form of testing, the equivalent to system testing, involving automated operation of a test bank of boxes.

The purpose of their beta trials is to do some "real world" testing "in the field", where people will try doing all sorts of actions (both simple & complex) that might or might not be covered in the development testing. Equivalent to user testing in conventional software development world. Also allows usability testing, which probably generates the most amount of feedback (i.e. people telling them that they don't like the way an action or workflow operates).
      Scubbie likes this.