Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help needed with Satellite Signal

This is a discussion on Help needed with Satellite Signal within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I need help, ASAP. My family switched from Virgin Media to Sky in September 2015 and 2 weeks later, ...

Cocu Grimshaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help needed with Satellite Signal

Hi, I need help, ASAP. My family switched from Virgin Media to Sky in September 2015 and 2 weeks later, I upgraded from a Standard Sky HD box to a Sky + HD, biggest mistake i ever made because all I've had is nothing but problems.

For the record, the model number of the box is DRX890W. I got it installed on the 9th October and then 2 days later, i noticed that i could only get 12 hour listing (The only programme information i got was what was on today, i go any later dates and it says "no listing available" but then I changed the channel only to be presented with the dreaded "Your Sky+HD isn't getting a satellite signal" message (On every channel).
      There was no bad weather and the inputs were inserted properly, but then all my listings came up properly. Also, i realized that only 1 input actually works.

I was confused because in my house, we have 2 other boxes, another Sky + HD in the living room and another standard Sky HD box in another bedroom, those two work perfectly, so i didn't understand (both inputs are inserted correctly). I did unplug the box from the mains, but then i lost everything (All my channels and listings were gone and the time said 12:00am Thu 01/01)

But we fixed this by swapping the inputs on the back of my box, so whenever my signal drops for no reason, i have to change my inputs around. (I would have called Sky up but unfortunately, i'm not the bill payer)

Another major problem I had was that I could only record the channel i'm watching and the channel i record will be the only channel that works, all the other channels have no signal. Also, if i'm watching another channel at a time one is recording, it fails.

Attachment 5970
      All because I wasn't viewing Sky Sports at the time. However, i worked my way around those problems and i was thankful i still HAD TV, that was until tonight.

My box was working just fine on Friday, i left my house for the weekend and come back tonight to find out my box could be at the end of it's life, a month and a half in. I was going to watch TV when it said no signal so i swapped my inputs around and i still couldn't get any TV (Even though one input was "working"), i did this 4-5 times and nothing worked, so i go on my planner and i see the Technical fault - 10 (28) on almost everything i recorded over the weekend, which confused me, then i then tried watching programmes I already recorded and when i do, all i get is a blue screen with no sound. I even tried On Demand programmes, it downloaded just fine but it was pointless because i still got nothing but a blue screen.

I tried recorded a programme tonight and it was clashed by another programme that i already scheduled to record but it came up with the same error code.

My last resort would be resetting the box from the mains which i don't wanna do because if i do, i'm scared that I will lose everything and the box will be nothing but a useless brick that i'll have to throw it in the bin because i have tried everything else and i'm not getting any signal and can't watch my recordings. However, i don't think there is any other options because there is no way in hell we are paying 90 a month for something i can't use. I would ring Sky tomorrow, but they'll say unplug from the mains which will kill the box.

If anyone can help me and has any advice before i have to kill my box, that would be great. Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like you will need an engineer call out. If the box and installation are within the warranty period there will be no charge. It looks like you have a problem with the LNB. Unplugging the box from the mains should not cause any loss whatsoever. If it is loosing the date/time etc it suggests something is faulty with the box.

Finally are you certain that both wires are connected to the dish? If you changed from a standard box to a Sky+HD box then one of the cables may not be connected to the dish. Installers often use shot gun cable even when only one wire is actually connected. One way to check would be to have a look at the dish. If you have 3 boxes with 2 wires connected then it will require an octo LNB If you have a quad LNB, not all the cables are connected.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Cocu Grimshaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi, sorry for the very late reply. The day after the post, my mum (who owns the account) tried to fix my box and then she had to unplug it which did make it lose everything. I wasn't sure about this but she put my scart lead back in the box and it worked (It was in before but I took it out to plug in my DVD player and didn't realise because when we was with Virgin, I never had my scart lead in my Tivo box and I had no problems) so I have to keep my scart in at all times.

It didn't fix it because it still kept going off, I could still only watch the channel I was recording and I still had to constantly change inputs. But it wasn't that bad for a few weeks, I'd say it was the best use out of the box I've had in the 3 and a half month I have had it. But I've noticed in the past week, it has become a annoyance. To be fair, I doesn't bother me much because lately, I haven't been watching TV that much, I use the internet more than the TV, and when I do watch TV, it's usually no more than 2 hours a night but when I do use it. When I want to record shows, it's a even chance it WILL record.

I have also noticed that when I record shows while I'm watching them, it says it'll record but the red light on the box doesn't light up and it doesn't say it's recording in my planner but it's still in scheduled to record when it should have started recording 17 minutes ago. Sometimes, it does record, other times, it comes with a technical fault and fails. Also, I have to leave it switched on at all times because even when I put it on standby, even for 1 minute, the signal will sometimes go off.
      I'll now answer all the advice you gave me:

1) Unfortunately, I don't think it's in the warrenty period because we swapped boxes on October 9th and it is now January 20th. I think the warrenty period is 30 days and I would love to send an engineer out but our Sky bill next month is going to be expensive (No thanks to E-on's terrible customer service, 1 hour we was on hold to ask a simple question) so I don't want to make the bill even more expensive :s

2) I'm not sure what the LNB is or what it does

3) When I unplug my box, i have to turn it on standby, swap inputs and then it comes on. Yea, your right, it should come on automatically.

4) I haven't checked my dish before but I will have a look and update you.

5) When they first installed Sky in when I had the standard box. They taped the inputs together because my mum told them we would be swapping boxes when it came close to our first bill. It can't be that if a un-used input being tape with a working input for 2 weeks damages it but it could be possible that it isn't connected to the dish.

5) The standard box was installed by a engineer but we got the Sky+HD from our neighbour who switched to Virgin and it was self-installed. We only needed to call Sky to activate the viewing card.

Any other problems or updates, I let you know. Thanks for your help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

5) When they first installed Sky in when I had the standard box. They taped the inputs together because my mum told them we would be swapping boxes when it came close to our first bill. It can't be that if a un-used input being tape with a working input for 2 weeks damages it but it could be possible that it isn't connected to the dish.
      Are both inputs from the dish properly connected at the back of the box?

Have you checked the settings to see if you are getting a signal to both tuners? Services button>Services>down, scroll to Signal.

Check that your box has not been set to single input mode.

1. Press Services button on your Sky remote, then press 001 and Select to access the hidden menu.
      2. Press Select to access Setup, then highlight Single Feed Mode and change the setting to ON. If it is set to On.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12