Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice for elderly parent using Sky Planner

This is a discussion on Advice for elderly parent using Sky Planner within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I hope someone can help. My mother is in her eighties and a combination of her age and failing eyesight ...

spiritusuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Advice for elderly parent using Sky Planner

I hope someone can help.

My mother is in her eighties and a combination of her age and failing eyesight means she cannot operate Sky+ Planner.

I live just round the corner from her and see her everyday so Iím able to record programmes that she enjoys and when I am there I leave one of the recorded programmes for her to watch either by leaving on Pause or by playing a short segment of the recorded programme then return to normal/live TV and then she only has to press the Play button 3 times to view the recorded programme after I have left. This works great at the moment but we are restricted to her only being able to watch one recorded programme between my visits.

I have joined your forum as I need some help in lateral thinking to see if there is a better solution for her.

Ideally, I would like to be able for her to watch a series of recorded programmes seamlessly but there doesnít appear to be a facility for this on Sky. Someone advised me that this could be done by selecting some recorded programme on the Planner and then choosing to Copy them and this would allow her to watch these programmes concurrently. The problem is that this does not allow the playback to be paused and if she stops the playback halfway through a viewing then you have to start all over again with the copying of the selected programmes.

I was initially hopeful of Sky+ remote record as I thought this might also allow me to control my Mumís planner from my smartphone and activate playback of her Planner from my smartphone but my understanding is that this only works if my smartphone is connecting to the same Wifi network as my Mumís Sky box, in other words, I have to be in her house to do this which kind of defeats what I am trying to achieve.

I donít know if there are any third party devices or apps that could help us. Would Slingbox be a possible option ?

Any help or suggestions would be warmly appreciated

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Advice for elderly parent using Sky Planner

What I think you are looking for is the netflix type, play next episode feature. With also, play next in my planner or my own list.
      Not available on the sky box yet...
      Not quite sure what that copy feature your mentioning is.

The sky+ app allows remote record from anywhere, but you can only control the sky box planner locally

Is it really not that hard to train your Mother to use the sky planner.
      Using the tvguide button and the big icosn on the home screen, not sure its that hard to navigate.

The latest firmware release has new accessability options (RNIB approved) to increase the contrast and font size.
      New features for your Sky+ Homepage

Slingbox would easily allow you to completely control the sky box. I can control mine very easily from a PC, iOS and Android device.
      I have one and you can use the supplied virtual sky remote to do anything the sky box physical remote does, and of course see the epg.
      As its not the highest quality, you could go for an older model as the apps do work with them, but not at the latest higher pic quality, like a slingbox pro or slingbox pro hd, if you can pick one up cheaply. The new 350 model is £109. Plus you have to purchase the app separately at £9.99 for iOS and Android. They were free when they first came out a few years back during beta testing.
      So quite an expensive option compared to half hour of education and accessibility tweaking of the sky box.
      Last edited by lettice; 15-05-15 at 12:51 PM.

spiritusuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      What I think you are looking for is the netflix type, play next episode feature. With also, play next in my planner or my own list.
      Not available on the sky box yet...
      Not quite sure what that copy feature your mentioning is.

The sky+ app allows remote record from anywhere, but you can only control the sky box planner locally

Is it really not that hard to train your Mother to use the sky planner.
      Using the tvguide button and the big icosn on the home screen, not sure its that hard to navigate.

The latest firmware release has new accessability options (RNIB approved) to increase the contrast and font size.
      New features for your Sky+ Homepage

Slingbox would easily allow you to completely control the sky box. I can control mine very easily from a PC, iOS and Android device.
      I have one and you can use the supplied virtual sky remote to do anything the sky box physical remote does, and of course see the epg.
      As its not the highest quality, you could go for an older model as the apps do work with them, but not at the latest higher pic quality, like a slingbox pro or slingbox pro hd, if you can pick one up cheaply. The new 350 model is £109. Plus you have to purchase the app separately at £9.99 for iOS and Android. They were free when they first came out a few years back during beta testing.
      So quite an expensive option compared to half hour of education and accessibility tweaking of the sky box.
      She is 87 and has never used an online menu on any device ever. It may be hard to believe but there are many people like her. She is also diagnosed with age macular degeneration so she would not be able to read the menu anyway .

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Ok, so best to go with a slingbox option.
      Seems the older boxes on ebay and such still hold their value well, so its a no brainer to go for a new one. Slingbox certainly has come down in price since I bought mine many moons ago.
      Although I said the 350 above, the M1 at £129 looks excellent and offers wireless access too.
      Slingbox.com - Slingbox M1 - Specs
      Last edited by lettice; 17-05-15 at 08:43 AM.