Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011 within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Ok, Spring is here and its Easter this weekend, so Sky have a nice little present for you with a ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011

Ok, Spring is here and its Easter this weekend, so Sky have a nice little present for you with a few Easter Eggs too.

So what are the main changes to look at?

1. Reordering Planner Listings
      2. Improved Series Stacking
      3. Deleting Series Stacks
      4. Shuffling & renaming of Tabs in Planner area
      5. Managing Smart Series Links
      6. Sky Movie Trailers
      7. Direct Subscription Upgrade
      8. Family Settings
      9. 'Accessibility' EPG Skin
      10. WiFi options

1. Reordering Planner Listings

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200751.jpg

After a lot of feedback, the order of the planner contents has been changed so that the most recently recorded item is at the top of the list.

This means that those programmes and films which you want to keep are no longer shouting at you to watch them whenever you navigate to the planner.

2. Improved Series Stacking

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200754.jpg

A big complaint across the forums has been about the use of "New" in the series. All too often this has messed up the series stacking as sometimes it is used and other times it isn't. Well now the series stacking takes this into account and realises that it is the same series.

It you record something on Sky1 HD this week, Sky1 +1 the next, Sky 1 on the third week and Sky2 the fourth, each episode will be stored in a different stack as each was on a different channel.

3. Deleting Series Stacks

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200755.jpg

Ever wanted to delete a whole series in one go? Well now you can. Alternatively you can just delete those episode that you have already watched.

4. Shuffling & renaming of Tabs in Planner area

The 'All' tab is still the primary one that you go to, but now there are a few changes.

To the right of the 'All' tab is 'Scheduled'. More about this one below.

Next to the right is 'Deleted'. No more hidden one step to the left. This should make it easier for people to find.

Others too have been moved around a little, but should be easy to find.

5. Managing Smart Series Links

Under the scheduled tab in the planner you'll find all those recordings which you have scheduled to be made.

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200757.jpg

Scroll down a little and you'll also find those 'Smart Series Links' or SSLs which have been causing a few issues recently. Whilst you can now manage them by removing those series you are no longer interested in, please be careful.

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200762.jpg

Basically these SSLs should be picking up new series that you recorded the previous series of and also they should pick up mid-season breaks.

Please note that often you will find more than one entry. Please don't delete one and not the other as actually they are different. One may be 'Next Series', whilst the other might be looking for the next episode after a mid-season break.

I am aware that this hasn't always been working as it should with R010 and Sky have been working to address this.

6. Sky Movie Trailers

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200763.jpg

Getting back to the Home page, for those of you with the Movies Pack, please take a look at the 'Sky Movies On Demand' tab. Find a movie (for example Beauty and The Beast) which has a trailer and press <Red> to play it.

Previously you would have seen the trailer in the Mini TV window, now it will play full screen.

At the time of writing this not all the trailers were available (for example How to train your Dragon 2 only shows the On Demand ad) and some may be in SD not HD quality. This will all be addressed soon.

7. Direct Subscription Upgrade

For those who wish to upgrade to a specific package you can now follow a link directly from the STB to upgrade to say the Sky Sports pack, provided that your STB is connected to the Internet.

8. Family Settings

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200764.jpg

Under the 'Parental' settings Sky have now grouped and renamed some of the familiar settings under the heading 'Family Setting'. This whole group can be easily enabled or disabled with individual adjustment as required.

Please remember not to let the children know your PIN if you want to use this feature to prevent them from watching the Adult channels, for example.

9. 'Accessibility' EPG Skin

Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011-p1200765.jpg

Press <Services> <Select> <Select> and you will be presented with the Accessibility options. As before you have the option to enable or disable the Subtitles and Audio Description, but next on the list is the ability to increase the font size and change the contrast level. Press the right or left button to scroll through the options and press <Green> to save.

• Off - Standard EPG colour scheme and font size
      • On - Increase Contrast & Font size
      • Font Only - Just increases the Font
      • Contrast Only - Just increases the Contrast

10. WiFi options

For those of you will a router which still works with WEP, support for this encryption has been added.

I hope that you like these changes. There are a few others buried away. As its Easter I'll let you have some fun looking for them.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD & SkyHD Firmware Update R011

Been involved in some of the discussion/decisions on this via sky voice.
      Nice to see them arriving.
      Not sure I've seen the accessibility ones before though.
      Being able to upgrade your package from your box, not sure about that, hope it can be turned off or strict pin protection.
      Hope we get an early release on the dr stream like we did for the last firmware update.

Sky have more details on this too
      https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...avourite-shows

One other thing I noticed was;
      Eco Mode: has been extended by 50%, now automatically switching off the Sky+HD box from 2.45-5.45am to save more energy.

Notice some are saying the version is R011.075.46.00P
      Last edited by lettice; 01-04-15 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks

Yes, I've also cross posted the PR from Sky here: Sky improves Sky+ TV Guide, making it even easier to enjoy favourite shows

The Eco Mode times was something we'd always previously been asked not to publicise, so I was surprised to see it mentioned in the PR.

As for PIN protection, you'll forgive me but I haven't personally tried the package upgrade option to see if this is the case. However it is worth emphasising a point I made in the write up that the PIN should be kept from those whom you don't want to give unsuitable access to. Otherwise the PIN is useless.

Remember too that the default for the PIN is the last four digits of the viewing card. If this is still the case then get it changed!!

I've also update the firmware version thread to reflect the new version being rolled out for the DRX595 and DRX89x models.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Accessibility: Sky has worked with the RNIB to develop a new accessible setting for its partially sighted customers, giving them the option of increased colour contrast and bold lettering.
      Excellent.

I expanded the picture & it does look good.
      The simpler, plainer & larger the better.

Looking forward to trying this out on my dad as he can't use the guide in its standard form.
      Well done sky.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Eco Mode: has been extended by 50%, now automatically switching off the Sky+HD box from 2.45-5.45am to save more energy.
      Eco mode switches my box off from 03:00 - 05:30.
      An extra 30 minutes isn't 50%.

Thanks

lol - Based on those figures 20% would be correct.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Eco mode switches my box off from 03:00 - 05:30.
      An extra 30 minutes isn't 50%.
      Yes, never noticed that when first looked at the press release.
      Router shows the sky ethernet port drop its link at 3am and backup at 5:30am every day.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is a pity they have not carried the 'stacking' over to the Deleted items folder. If you want to clear this you have to do it one at a time.

Otherwise, it looks good.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Hmm, previous versions always went red at 3am and whirred up at 5:30am. Shame one can't set their own time.

A box whirring down at 3am in the bedroom then again spinning up at 5:30 is very loud.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is a pity they have not carried the 'stacking' over to the Deleted items folder. If you want to clear this you have to do it one at a time.

Otherwise, it looks good.
      Yes this would be useful, but the intention was that you should need to purge the Deleted tab.

In practise though many have found that it is a good idea to periodically purge the contents, otherwise the STB can play up.

Another nuisance that was changes a few updates back was being able to rapidly press <Yellow> whilst in the Deleted tab. This allowed you to purge the contents quickly. Now you have to purge the one at a time at a slower pace.

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
      Hmm, previous versions always went red at 3am and whirred up at 5:30am. Shame one can't set their own time.

A box whirring down at 3am in the bedroom then again spinning up at 5:30 is very loud.
      I tend to sleep through it when mine goes to sleep. If anything though I'm often already awake when the STB wakes up now.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast