Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky box malfunction and blocked dish

This is a discussion on Sky box malfunction and blocked dish within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on some problems I've started to encounter. Two separate things but I'm ...

Alanmelon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky box malfunction and blocked dish

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on some problems I've started to encounter. Two separate things but I'm trying to work out the best way of sorting it.
      I've had intermittent signal issues, on certain channels and more so on the second signal feed. This seems worse in the summer months so I'm putting it down to foliage on an increasingly tall tree directly opposite the dish. I gather that a dish relocation is likely to be the cheaper and easier alternative to getting the tree cut back. This is not urgent, but I think it will need doing within the next 12-18 months.
      Also of late, my old Samsung box has started to falter. I put a new HD in it a few years back but it's now losing listings which completely screws up any scheduled recordings. I've done planner rebuilds which helps for a week or two but then it loses listings again. I also heard an odd ticking noise when the drive spun up the other day, and today it just froze and needed a power cycle to unfreeze. I'm not attached to any of the recordings so was thinking of buying a new 2TB box.

My question is; bearing in mind that both of these things will need sorting imminently, what is the cheapest way of going about this? Do I approach Sky, threatening to leave? How costly are their engineers vs a local company? Any other advice?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Sky box malfunction and blocked dish

Hmmm...I had the same tree foliage problems. Tried sky but their special heights team were reluctant to venture onto the roof, citing health and safety issues. They would only raise the dish using a mast.

This resulted in a weak, intermittant signal and I experienced all the symptoms you describe including the freezes. Eventually I lost the signal entirely.

This time I contacted a local aerial engineer who laughed at sky's mast saying it was never high enough. He reinstalled the dish on the roof. The signal levels rose to a height I had never seen before and I have had no further problems since. Cost? Around 100. I was and am well satisfied.

As for the box, well I had an old Thompson. It started playing up. I contacted sky who offered a new HD box in return for signing up for a further 12 months which I accepted. Whether you can wangle a deal like this still I don't know but their is no harm in asking.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,219 Times in 2,088 Posts

Certainly I would agree with jrfer's approach with regards to getting a local contractor to look at things for you. Do get an estimate first and use something such as Check-a-Trade if you don't know someone personally. From experience I would also check around that the individual is good before going for him as there are some issues with how Check-a-Trade works at times.

An alternative approach would be to get a Tree Surgeon in to trim the tree provided that it is on your land. If it is on someone else's land then it depends on if there is a risk to your property I guess, but again it is worth checking into.

As for you Samsung STB, it sounds like it is struggling to cope now. There are a numbr of potential reasons why it might be playing up. These include the latest firmware (common excuse), failing components or failing hard drive. Knowing that some of the features which have been introduced to the DRX89x range aren't available to the Samsung STB, I believe that an update to the latest STB would be appreciated.

The very latest STB has a few important changes though, which you might need to think about first. The DRX895WL no longer has a Modem, which is fine, but it also no longer has the AV ports or UHF feeds. If this is important to you there are alternative options we can suggest, but please check first.

You can purchase an IO Link for the UHF feed/s. For the AV feeds you'll need to use the Scart socket and a suitable connector to take the AV feeds.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks very much for the replies. I think I'll give Sky a call re the STB. I only use an HDMI connection with ethernet cable to the broadband router so it sounds like a new box will suit. I'll string out re-positioning the dish for as long as possible. It's working fine at the moment but it sounds like some estimates will be required to decide between tree surgeon and moving the dish.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update - Just got off the phone, initially with faults. I wasn't willing to accept their offer of an engineer visit for 65, which would hopefully involve a new STB. Their first gambit was to offer a 30 visit if I subscribed to sports and movies. Cue call to cancellations dept. I held my nerve through all their attempts to corner me into admitting I watched Sky exclusive channels. Final offer which I took was a 30 call out so fingers crossed for a new box.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

If they do swap in a new box it is likely that it will be a reconditioned box. That would mean a DRX890 or DRX890W. Both of these have a 500GB drive, with 250GB available for your recordings. Still better than the Samsung as they'll have the all latest features in the EPG.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quick update and a query. Engineer came and replaced dish as the old one was drawing too much power. He swapped STB for a pretty disappointing refurb old Samsung 9730B3, but it's slightly newer than the existing one. Seems to run a bit faster.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but I was trying to access some programmes on BBC iPlayer catch up and can't seem to find any HD listings when I'm sure they used to be there. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hmmm... I'm surprised that he had a Samsung in the back.At least you'll have a 90 day warranty now though.

At the moment the only thing I can think of regarding the content in BBC iPlayer is to check your settings in the 'Customise' tab.

<Services> <Select> 8 <Down>

Specifically check 'On Demand Download Format'. The choices are 'Always ask', 'SD Only' 'HD if available'.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Alanmelon (30-11-14)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Iplayer used to have separate entries for SD & HD programmes whereas now they only provide one.

With a programme highlighted, check towards the top of the screen to the right of the time, date & title.
      If only W for widescreen etc is showing, it'll be in SD.
      If HD is showing it'll be in HD.
      If SD & HD are showing, you'll get the choice in a drop down menu after pressing select.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Alanmelon (01-12-14)

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Iplayer used to have separate entries for SD & HD programmes whereas now they only provide one.

With a programme highlighted, check towards the top of the screen to the right of the time, date & title.
      If only W for widescreen etc is showing, it'll be in SD.
      If HD is showing it'll be in HD.
      If SD & HD are showing, you'll get the choice in a drop down menu after pressing select.
      I'm not entirely sure what you are saying gymno but I get different options on iPlayer like no option if the program is only in one format but if it's on there in both HD and SD then I can choose the download format.

That might be what you are saying but Sky box malfunction and blocked dish-1405383273_absolut_vokda_9.jpg happened tonight.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky box malfunction and blocked dish-booze.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast