Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sound delay (not out of sync) on new 2 TB HD, switching channels, pause, or play back recording

This is a discussion on sound delay (not out of sync) on new 2 TB HD, switching channels, pause, or play back recording within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Installed Sky HD last week and have encountered a strange one with sound. There are plenty of threads on out ...

BlakeneyPlayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01263
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sound delay (not out of sync) on new 2 TB HD, switching channels, pause, or play back recording

Installed Sky HD last week and have encountered a strange one with sound. There are plenty of threads on out of sync but this is just a delay. Being a massive Ashes fan I like to see each ball as the anxiety levels rise. On playback or pause and then play the picture comes back on immediately but there is a 2-3 second delay with the sound. When it does come on it is perfectly in sync.

I have changed HDMI cables, different HDMI inputs, rebooted, used the engineers menu (thanks for the sticky on this) but all to no avail. There is less of a delay on non HD channels or recordings but it is a major annoyance on a brand new box. There are no other peripherals attached to the sky HD box or the Philips TV (ie no DVD, AV receiver or sound bar.

All the settings on the menus seem normal (and the same as the multiroom 1 TB box which works perfectly.)

I suspect that it will have to be a box swop but before this happens any thoughts would be appreciated and apologies if there is already a thread on this topic in which case could someone direct me to it?

Thanks Rob

2. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: sound delay (not out of sync) on new 2 TB HD, switching channels, pause, or play back recor

Try forcing a software update.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annie UK For This Useful Post:

BlakeneyPlayer (16-07-13)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: sound delay (not out of sync) on new 2 TB HD, switching channels, pause, or play back recor

It shouldn't be a problem yet as I don't believe that the new firmware roll out has begun but for the next month or two it may be worth checking the current model number, obtainable from system details with the firmware version on the DR stream Sky+ HD STB Firmware Versions and only forcing an update where the installed version isn't greater than that on the DR stream.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      It shouldn't be a problem yet as I don't believe that the new firmware roll out has begun but for the next month or two it may be worth checking the current model number, obtainable from system details with the firmware version on the DR stream Sky+ HD STB Firmware Versions and only forcing an update where the installed version isn't greater than that on the DR stream.
      The roll-out of the new software started this morning as reported on Sky's official forum

The DR stream will usually be updated nearer the end of the roll-out.

It has been observed in the past that forcing to the same version can cure some issues.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annie UK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annie UK View Post
      The roll-out of the new software started this morning as reported on Sky's official forum

The DR stream will usually be updated nearer the end of the roll-out.

It has been observed in the past that forcing to the same version can cure some issues.
      I didn't know that the roll out had already started, expecting it to be tomorrow, but I was very careful in my wording:
      only forcing an update where the installed version isn't greater than that on the DR stream.
      to cover the case of reinstalling the same version.

Thanks

Many thanks to Annie and Seawright for your comments. The box is running Version 4f3156 on a "sky" manufactured model R006.008.60.00P. Is this the latest firmware? The only other point I can add is that on installation a brand new sealed box was produced by the sky engineer and then he changed it for another in the van. Can you tell from any of the above if this is an older box.

Happy to try a firmware or software update but would prefer to know whether I am already on the latest one before heading into the unknown (for me!)......oh and what is the DR stream?

Thanks

Thanks

Check this link: Sky+ HD STB Firmware Versions
      You do currently have the latest version on the DR stream but as Annie stated:
      There are two download streams one for automatic updates and another for manually initiated updates. The DR stream is the latter. I'm not sure what DR stands for perhaps someone else would care to enlighten us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Thanks

done the forced update but still the same problem. Logic would suggest that it is a software issue........but then logic is the process of going wrong with total confidence