Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is my Amstrad Sky+ HD box about to die?

This is a discussion on Is my Amstrad Sky+ HD box about to die? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've got a Sky+ HD box, I know it's an Amstrad, I know it's got the "New" EPG on it ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is my Amstrad Sky+ HD box about to die?

I've got a Sky+ HD box, I know it's an Amstrad, I know it's got the "New" EPG on it and I know that it's either the 500g or maybe 1tb box (It's old..)..

Over the past couple of weeks I've had some failed recordings, the box is around 50% full, after a couple of planner rebuilds they went away, but in the past few days it's been coming up with a No Signal error even though the level metres are showing signal just fine, and when I power the box down I get a flash of whatever channel the box was on. I left it doing another planner rebuild this morning but I've got a horrible sinking feeling that the box is about to die..

Any advice? I've got a warrenty on it so it won't cost anything to send anyone over, but it's a little like spaghetti junction around the TV and of course, there's the old losing programme woes..

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Is my Amstrad Sky+ HD box about to die?

Before you do a Planner rebuild, first empty the Deleted Programs folder. It is also recommended that the Sky+HD box should be cold booted, ie, switched right off for a few minutes then on again, every 2 or 3 weeks.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, I emptied the deleted programme folder over the weekend, not tried a cold boot yet, totally off at the mains? I left it powered down after the planner rebuild this morning.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Some Amstrad models are less reliable than others. If there's a power supply kit listed for your specific DRX--- model on the SatCure web site, you can be sure that there's a good reason.

Turning power off at the mains and letting the Digibox cool down is a good way to test the capacitors. If the Digibox exhibits problems when switched on from cold, the cause is usually bad capacitors (and occasionally Hard Drive).

This is the reason that it's a bad idea to switch off the power just before you go on holiday. You could return to discover that your (now cold) Digibox won't work. If you MUST switch it off, do a test run a few days before you leave. That way, if it's faulty, you can get a new box on order, or book a service call for your return, before you leave.