Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bad Installation

This is a discussion on Bad Installation within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I am new to this forum, I have been with SKY since the analogue days and have had my ...

Mr.Kite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Bad Installation

Hi I am new to this forum, I have been with SKY since the analogue days and have had my Pace digi box since SKY went digital all those years ago, I have never had a problem with the Pace Box, even in bad weather it has served me well. We decided to go for HD so..
      I had Sky Hd fitted yesterday 2/10/012, now I have no Sky picture at all. It was a bad installation, the engineer (eastern European) went through the kitchen cupboard, then drilled a hole into the lounge behind the lounge door, I did not see the rest of the installation. He then told me all was well, showed me the remote, I gave him a tip and he left.
      As I am wheelchair-bound the lounge door is wedged open for access, when my wife closed the door in the evening, the brick dust had not been cleared, there was a larger than necessary hole in the wall, that my wife had to fill in with filler, and the cable ran up one side of the door frame-across the top and down the other side of the door frame, this is not a small cable and is very unsightly, plus paint-work damaged on door frame, why do they not use plastic trunking to conceal cable. The engineer also fitted a new dish. My old cable ran under the floor boards, but he cut that off.
      Then the fun began, that evening no signal on input 1, so no picture, phoned Sky is it raining? No, with my old Pace box I never once lost signal through all the bad weather of the last summer or when it snowed. So this is supposed to be TV at it's best?, no picture. The engineer never even connected the telephone line, are these people skilled?. So now I have to wait for yet another engineer to come. I think the old adage of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to my mind, I wish I'd never bothered.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Bad Installation

Sadly cleaning up the brick dust does seem to be a problem in some cases. I don't know if the installers are advised to check for a vacuum cleaner, an alternative would be to supply them with a portable one to be kept in the van.

As for drilling extra holes, this is a difficult one for me to comment on without seeing your actual setup. The new cable is slightly wider that the previous cable which you would of had, but with a little planning it may have been possible to tie some string around the old cable, widen the holes and pull the new cable through.

If you aren't getting a signal from one feed, but are getting it from the other, then I would be very cautious about jumping to the conclusion that it was caused by the weather. I would be inclined to suspect something else and this should be fixed by someone asap.

In the longer term I would hope that you will be much happier with you new Sky+ HD STB. Do get it connected up to your home network too as the extra services are interesting.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well they came out this morning, said all was well, I told them try History and other like channels, no signal on out-put 1 no lock, it's a bright sunny day here no clouds in the sky, 'Mmmm I will check again' said the engineer, he said the new LMB was faulty told me he had replaced it, and sure enough, we have a signal on out-put 1 and it is locked.
      I don't understand the ID being NULL, this is new to me. Many thanks for your interest Scubbie.
      I now have to source a wireless adapter for Sky Anytime.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

No problem. I am glad that it is working.

As for the wireless adaptor, there are a few options available.

The cheapest now is Sky's very own Wireless adaptor. If you are prepared to wait a few days you can see whether Sky are clearing out the old stock (WiFi g) or whether the new WiFi n one is being sent out. The price is 9.99.

The alternative would be to get a WiFi media bridge from somewhere like Amazon. The one linked below is good and it works just fine (it is WiFi g), but will set you back ~25 (price has gone up as it was ~21) if you get the PSU and USB lead as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11...9354652&sr=1-6

If you have a TV or Blu-Ray which also could benefit from a connection to the Internet, consider something like the above with a Network Switch. This way they can all share the WiFi connection and connect to the Internet.

Both the Sky and the Vonets options are easy to install.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No problem. I am glad that it is working.

As for the wireless adaptor, there are a few options available.

The cheapest now is Sky's very own Wireless adaptor. If you are prepared to wait a few days you can see whether Sky are clearing out the old stock (WiFi g) or whether the new WiFi n one is being sent out. The price is 9.99.
      How will I know when SKY are offering the WiFi n adaptor? do they state this on their sells page? as I cannot find details for purchase.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kite View Post
      How will I know when SKY are offering the WiFi n adaptor? do they state this on their sells page? as I cannot find details for purchase.
      People have ordered them this week, and are just awaiting for delivery, once they arrove I am sure they will confirm either way.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Here's some more information.

Sky's New Wireless Connector
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 05-10-12 at 03:16 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser