Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky northen ireland - blocking channels

This is a discussion on Sky northen ireland - blocking channels within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; WHY OH WHY OH WHY ARE SKY BLOCKING RTE2 FOR THE EUROS !! THIS IS MOST ANNOYING. I DONT WANT ...

funkyman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky northen ireland - blocking channels

WHY OH WHY OH WHY ARE SKY BLOCKING RTE2 FOR THE EUROS !! THIS IS MOST ANNOYING. I DONT WANT TO WATCH BBC OR ITV COVERAGE. THIS IS A FREE TO AIR CHAMPIONSHIP SO WHY I AM BEING FORCED TO WATCH IT ON CHANNELS I DONT WANT TO !!!!!!!!

Sorry about the caps locks there.....

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky northen ireland - blocking channels

Something like that would normally be decided upon by the broadcaster or stated in their rights to broadcast the material. Have you tried contacting RTE to find out what is happening?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

yorkie98 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky are not blocking the channel. RTE have territorial restrictions on some items, most significantly, Sports events. They do not have the rights to show this to UK viewers thus they have to block these from UK/NI viewers. Only the BBC/ITV have the rights to show this to UK/NI viewers.
      You are forced to watch these broadcasts "on channels you don't want to" because these channels and only these channels have the rights to show this to you in your area and especially in the case of ITV/UTV have the rights and expectation that you watch local advertising to justify the cost of aquiring the rights.
      The only difference between the RTE and UTV broadcasts is the accent of the commentators, I hope that in this day and age that this is not the single motivation for your complaint as the picture feed is the same, they are wearing the same shirts, kicking the same ball and the score will be the same after 90 minutes.

Thanks

I suspect that this would be technically against EU rules regarding broadcasting rights.

I was under the impression that there was a general freedom of the airwaves now and such restrictions were no longer allowed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Far from it, television rights, especially to sporting events are sold on often quite a tight territorial basis, broadcasters must protect these rights. RTE for example only have the rights to show the Euros in ROI and will have paid probally 5% of the price paid by the UK broadcasters but they must ensure it is only viewable within the agreed territory. Some broadcasters will have pan-european rights, i.e, any boradcaster who broadcasts over a wide area without enctryption will be paying much more.

funkyman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Thats right Yorkie98 , I do want to watch RTE as I find it a better product.

RTE is allowed to broadcast over the entire island of Ireland. The football/sporting events are not blocked on the digital/analog services which are free to pick up with an aerial. Its only on the SKY platform that it gets blocked.

Also , BBC and ITV , which are available on the ROI sky platform do not get blocked in the ROI when they show the Euros/WC

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, that's not right. The analogue coverage is classed as "overspill" but as the transmitters are in the ROI, they are deemed as broadcasting from and to the territory of ROI, this is no different from people on the east coast of Ireland picking up signals from Wales or North England. Overspill happens but is not accounted for with rights issues.

RTE do not have rights to broadcast to "the island of Ireland" in the case of sporting events, only the ROI, the BBC/UTV have the exclusive rights for the UK/NI and often, the rights for ROI are included in there but in these cases, it is unlikely that Cable carriers in ROI have the technology to carry out the territorial blocking, if indeed it is even required.
      If RTE did have the rights to broadcast to NI via the Sky platform, then it would but it can't, so it doesn't. It's not a grey area, it will be very much sewn up in contracts in black-and-white.

It is also likely that although RTE have rights to broadcast, this event, they might not hold exclusive rights meanaing another broadcaster can broadcast it in ROI but RTE cannot broadcast it in any other territory (exclusive rights cost more). If the conditional access (scrambling) technology did not exist to prevent these broadcasts via Sky being viewable in the UK/NI they may well have to pay much more money for the rights, and this would also allow the BBC/UTV to negotiate a lower price as they do not have exclusivity. Beleive me, the very fine points of who can broadcast the events, when, where, how and to whom are sewn up water-tight between the rights holder (UEFA) and the broadcasters.
      This is done wholly for business reasons, not for political reasons, and not to "rile a few people in NI for fun"..

It is the complex subject of rights issues which has let to RTE adopting an ultra narrow beam service for their free to view satellite service, Soarsat, to allow it to be broadcast without encryption (which is expensive to run) but ensure that virtually no reception is possible outside of Ireland. This service however will cover pretty much the entire island of Ireland and all future rights issues will be negotiated with this in mind. As it is however anticipated that less than 2% of the poulation will use the service, this is unlikely to cause an issue.

Thanks

As a cheeky idea, could you not consider getting a Freesat or Freesat+ STB (or Eire equivalent) that is set up to work in Eire? Make sure that you don't put in your own Postcode, I would suggest that you set it up to think it is south of the border.

If you haven't any spare ports on your existing LNB, you will need to get an Octo-LNB installed.

Then should this occur again, you would not be blocked.

Sky and Freesat use the same group of Satellites and the only differences are the EPG and subscription channels (on Sky) so you will not need to have two dishes.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would think NI would be able to receive RTE Freesat if it is available. If it didn't neither would dear old Donegal, the land of my fore-fathers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Saorsat STBs will not have an option for postcode entry as the ROI do not have any kind of postcode system in place (believe it or not), nor are there any kind of regional variations in programming.
      The Saorsat system launched on 3rd May 2012 but it is only intended to bring the basic channels to those who cannot receive a terrestrial signal (expected to be 1-2% of the Irish poulation).
      It will require a seperate dish (signals coming from KaSat @ 9°East) and also requires a special LNB (LNBF) as the Ka sat uses the Ka band, different from the Ku band used by Astra satellites.
      This means that a Freesat box will not be much use either. To recieve Saorsat will require a Saorsat system which will be very different from other free to air satellite systems.
      The Saorview signal covers (only just) all of the island of Ireland with the possible exception of some north-easterly parts of Co Antrim.
      There will be no official supply chain of Saorview equipment in Northern Ireland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast