Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

New Sky+ HD & SkyHD EPG v49.20 being rolled out now

This is a discussion on New Sky+ HD & SkyHD EPG v49.20 being rolled out now within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Sky have been developing a new look Electronic Programme Guide or EPG over the past few months. They have been ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

New Sky+ HD & SkyHD EPG v49.20 being rolled out now

Sky have been developing a new look Electronic Programme Guide or EPG over the past few months. They have been consulting various bodies, including those who are involved with supporting people with sight or hearing issues in the development of this new EPG.

A little while ago Sky put a request for volunteers on the Sky forum for a Beta Test. It was cross posted on to various forums, including SkyUser and like the other 400 or so people, I applied to be a part of it.

For pictures, please see the first post in this thread: New look EPG

The EPG is primarily designed for someone with a HD TV, but is legible on smaller CRT TVs, but perhaps not as well over a distance as the older EPG. They have gone for a standardised layout whether or not you have the Mini-TV enabled, for example. If you look at the new TV Guide you will see 8 lines instead of 6 with the Mini-TV.

The new EPG is a little more responsive that the older EPG, although the initial tests were a little quicker than the latest release. Part of this is to allow room for the new services which Sky are developing to be added. The extra services appear to be a major goal of this update and this EPG change will not have them for now. I’ll mention more about the new services later in this article.

I have two TVs connected to my Sky+ HD STB. The first, a 40” HD TV, is connected via the HDMI lead, whilst the 2nd, a 28” Widescreen CRT TV, is connected via both the UHF coax and Scart Sender.

So what changes will you notice?
      Firstly the colour scheme is different. Instead of the light blue background it is now a dark blue. The text font is different and a little smaller. The highlighting appears to work well and it is all clear to read.

When using the Now & Next banner you may notice that the display is now slightly transparent. The same is true for many of the other on screen displays now, such as the fast forward/rewind/pause icon, which is also now animated.

When viewing the TV Guide you may notice some additional Genres in the list and the HD list has been renamed ‘HD & 3D’. Some of the Genres offer you the same list of channels you have been used to automatically, whilst some of them now show 4 or 5 icons, the first of which will show you the list of channels as before. These additional icons are

• Channels
      • Recordings
      • On Demand
      • Search
      • Rentals
      Please be aware that if you now press the <Right> button too much, the TV Guide responds much faster to move forward in time and the name of the programming will take a little time to catch up to the time.

The planner too has been altered. There are some additional Genres added and it remembers better where you were previously. For example if you were to watch an episode of Deep Space Nine, and happen to have recorded the whole series, when you return it will go to the last episode you viewed, not to the group in the main list. The yellow highlight in the bar that indicates how much space your recordings take up also indicates a little better how much a series takes now.

For those of us who have some older recordings, the planner also shows the whole date if you press ‘i’ on your remote. For example a recording of Click now shows “Recorded: 1.30am Sat 26/05/12 (34mins), Used 1%”. A lot of people on the trial asked for this and the developers at Sky have changed it, so I trust you will like it.

On the ‘Settings page’, the ‘System Details’ list is much shorter now as Sky have removed a couple of headings as they just repeated what was there before. The Network setup also remembers what your current settings are, allowing you to customise just the IP Address, if this is what you want to do and not have to enter the whole lot.

Some of the other changes have been around the sound. Unfortunately Sky hasn’t changed the HDMI output at this time to pump 5.1 Surround Sound through the HDMI lead, although there were a lot of requests for this. However they did look at the ‘stutter’ that some people, including myself, experienced when listening through a separate Surround Sound system. It was traced to the change between 2.0 to 5.1 sound output, typically after the ad break. Hopefully this will now be an improvement than before. There is a slight gap in the sound. This is because some Surround Sound Systems make a loud noise if it isn’t there.

There were a variety of other bugs which were also addressed, such as rewind to Bookmarks, Mini-TV not always displaying, Planner list not appearing, various issues with the Reminder feature and Clash notice, various occasions when STBs froze & S&S Banner showing the wrong channels.

One important note for those parents who leave the TV on the children’s channel all day and leave the TV alone, the Standby feature will now turn the TV off during the day if the STB is left alone for 4 hours. This revised feature will also mean that if you use the ‘Copy’ feature and record content totalling more than 4 hours, anything after that point will not be recorded. You can disable the ‘Auto Standby’ feature by navigating to the ‘Options’ ‘Sky+ Setup’ menu.

Overall the feedback has been very positive. There was some discussion about the change in fonts, but this has died down as people have become used to the new layout. Those who have smaller TVs were able to read the display, but I would suggest it might be harder to see it on a small TV at the far end of your bed first thing in the morning or late at night.

Personally speaking I have been fine with mine and have been able to read the display and navigate the menus without too many issues.
      The rw/pause/ff icon appears a little more prominent that previously, but it is now transparent. If you pause the credits at the end of a film, to see who starred in it, for example, you can actually read what is behind the icon.

There are other features coming soon. This is one step towards Sky rolling them out to us all. If you do not current have one of the Sky+ HD STBs which will have this new EPG, then I would suggest that this would be a nice time to rethink your options.

When will you get it?
      The new EPG will now be rolled out over the next couple of months to everyone.

At the time of writing this article we don’t know if the will be any Beta Testing offered to the owners of the Pace, Samsung, Amstrad DRX580 and Amstrad DRX595 models. If there is, we hope to post something on the forum to let those owners know about it.

The Thomson model Sky+ HD STB will not be upgraded and will retain the old EPG. As confirmed last year after Sky failed to get their new file system to work on it, the Thomson model will no longer have any firmware updates.

What about the future?
      The BBC confirmed that BBC iPlayer will be coming to the Sky+ HD in the autumn. Hopefully the ITV Player will also be expanded around this time to improve the current content.

Sky is currently developing an ability to allow access to the contents on the Sky+ HD STB. This should then allow the SkyHD STB and the Sky Go app to stream content from your Sky+ HD STB when on the same LAN. There should also be an ability to allow you to view the content when away from home too with the Sky Go app.

The Sky+ App which is available on many phones will also be updated at some time in the future. The change should allow you to use your Tablet or Phone to change channels and other things on your STB. At the moment we do not know how the app will differentiate between multiple STBs at one home if they are all on the same Network.

There were a large number of requests to improve the search feature on the Sky+ HD STB. This ranged from being better able to search via keywords to adding the ability to search via the people who participated in a programme or film. Examples included references to VM’s TiVo and some of the STBs available in the States.

There was a long thread for various suggestions and the team dealing with this Beta trail have taken notes. How low it will take them to introduce these changes is hard to say, but they should come soon.

Edit: Sy's FAQ on the new EPG: http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky...tv-guide/faqs/
      Last edited by Scubbie; 10-07-12 at 05:15 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Bermuda (07-06-12),NewsreadeR (09-06-12),rcw088 (31-07-12),Restorer (07-06-12),speedyrite (07-06-12),wonnyjilkinson (06-08-12)

3. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Nicely summarised! Got 49.20 on both DRX890s overnight. After experiencing no significant problems during beta testing on both boxes, had a minor problem today - the single-feed box wouldn't come out of standby and needed a cold restart to wake it up. Typical...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (07-06-12)

Gigabit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: ZeN
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: New Sky+ HD & SkyHD EPG v49.20 being rolled out now

So should I get it tonight? Can I do a forced upgrade?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Nicely summarised!
      Thank you. I have taken some better fresh pics if anyone is interested. They are a little clearer than the original ones I took. To be fair though, in a few weeks many should have it installed now so perhaps people will be happy to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Got 49.20 on both DRX890s overnight. After experiencing no significant problems during beta testing on both boxes, had a minor problem today - the single-feed box wouldn't come out of standby and needed a cold restart to wake it up. Typical...
      There are some comments (yes some of them are mine ) about the fact that your STB is left in a state which prevents anything else from working until you turn it on again. I can only hope that Sky listen. It has been suggested that you get a prompt advising you of the availability of the update and an option to install it or to be reminded later. This would be better for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabit View Post
      So should I get it tonight? Can I do a forced upgrade?
      Don't force the upgrade yet. Last night was a targeted update. The new EPG will be rolled out gradually to all current Sky subscribers. I doubt that anyone who doesn't have a current Sky subscription will receive the update, but it might be interesting to find out.

Also anyone who has the Thomson model, as mentioned above, they will not receive this new EPG.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Excellent read thanks Scubbie

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Thank you. I have taken some better fresh pics if anyone is interested. They Don't force the upgrade yet. Last night was a targeted update. The new EPG will be rolled out gradually to all current Sky subscribers. I doubt that anyone who doesn't have a current Sky subscription will receive the update, but it might be interesting to find out.
      I already did and it didn't work.

Does it fix the dropping audio when pausing (Dolby Digital programmes) with a surround sound system?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabit View Post
      Does it fix the dropping audio when pausing (Dolby Digital programmes) with a surround sound system?
      I haven't noticed any issues myself. I need to double check the Sky beta forum to see is anyone else has had an issue though. From what has been posted today though, most appear to be happy.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Emeye is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Could the new guide be causing my weird problem? I've googled but cannot find a similar issue. We just got back from 2 weeks away. Powering on the Sky HD box and all the on screen graphic are missing and pressing the guide button or any other control button and nothing happens. You can still change channel, but no graphics! Typing in the channel number and the numbers do not appear, but it goes to the channel. A cold reboot has not solved things. Cheers.

Thanks

Were you on the beta trial?

I would consider performing a forced update if you weren't.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Still haven't recieved the new EPG .

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast