Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible??

This is a discussion on query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible?? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I currently have Sky+ (white box) and have just placed an order to upgrade to the 1tb HD+ box ...

wasabi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Question query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible??

Hi,

I currently have Sky+ (white box) and have just placed an order to upgrade to the 1tb HD+ box and multiroom. I want the tech to move the current sky+ box upstairs so i can watch & record downstairs and upstairs. He's coming next week and i want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

I have a few questions that i hope someone can answer

1) will the tech have enough cables/extra LNB thingy blocks to install the sky+ box upstairs? I assume that he doesn't have to change much downstairs as there are already x2 cables coming in with the current box, but i'm worried that he won't install the sky+ box upstairs with x2 cables and just install the 1 cable for a standard HD box.

2) would i still be able to get the extra free HD sky box that comes with multiroom even if i want to use my current sky+ box?

3) after placing my upgrade online, I rang sky to explain i wanted the sky+box relocated upstairs. She then went into my account and said that it already says to relocate the current box and said that the system automatically puts relocation of current sky+ boxes. Is this true or is she having me on?

I'm just worried that the tech comes and installs the 1tb box downstairs and the new HD standard non-recording box upstairs.

Help appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible??

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
      1) will the tech have enough cables/extra LNB thingy blocks to install the sky+ box upstairs? I assume that he doesn't have to change much downstairs as there are already x2 cables coming in with the current box, but i'm worried that he won't install the sky+ box upstairs with x2 cables and just install the 1 cable for a standard HD box.
      Ask and he should provide. Since he will have many jobs to complete, he should carry more than sufficient cable for any job. This is a common request as well, so there should be enough cable to do the most complex of jobs and more.

The standard LNB installed currently is a 4-Port LNB. If you have a 3rd STB installed, then this could prove to be a minor problem and he'll need to install an 8-Port LNB, but this is not impossible.

Viewing cards will need to be correctly paired to each STB, but this is something the installation guy should do automatically. If he doesn't, then it is a very simple call to Sky, with the STB in front of you.

2) would i still be able to get the extra free HD sky box that comes with multiroom even if i want to use my current sky+ box?
      Make sure that you DO get it. If you have signed up for multi-room with the entitlement to this being free, then you are entitled to it.

Note the word 'If' as is is possible to just order a 2nd STB, so please check your order.

Judging from the next question, it might be that you won't get the SkyHD STB.

3) after placing my upgrade online, I rang sky to explain i wanted the sky+box relocated upstairs. She then went into my account and said that it already says to relocate the current box and said that the system automatically puts relocation of current sky+ boxes. Is this true or is she having me on?
      All calls to Sky are recorded automatically. People have lost jobs for lying on the phone before now. It would not be in her interest to mess things up for you. However her answer reveals that you may not get the SkyHD STB mentioned in the previous question/answer.

I'm just worried that the tech comes and installs the 1tb box downstairs and the new HD standard non-recording box upstairs.
      Don't worry, I am sure that everything will work out just fine.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible??

Thanks for the quick response Scubbie. A few more questions please...

1) Just took a picture of my dish, it's a 4 lnb dish i think. I'm now assuming that the tech would just come and fit x2 cables in the boxy looking thing and would he then route the cabling on the outside walls/roof to the upstairs room. That would be a normal job?

2) I'm just looking at the order on my account and it says - "Below you can track your order for Sky+ Remote Control (Installed), Sky+HD 1TB, Sky+HD 1TB Remote Control". On a different page of my account (the my package page), it says sky+box installed and 1tb HD+ box to be installed. On the email confirmation it mentions only the 1tb HD box so it doesn't seem like I'll get one (maybe my current old box was a free box).

My question is, if i were to (in the future) get a HD+ box from ebay, fit it myself and remove the current sky+ box, would i just need to ring sky to get them to pair my card with the new box or would they not allow it?

(I think i'm just worrying too much lol)

Thanks

Thanks

1) Just took a picture of my dish, it's a 4 lnb dish i think. I'm now assuming that the tech would just come and fit x2 cables in the boxy looking thing and would he then route the cabling on the outside walls/roof to the upstairs room. That would be a normal job?
      Yep. Just a simple cabling task, nothing too technical. I would recommend that if he needs to get the cable to the other side of your home, that you encourage him not to throw the cable over the roof. This tends to lead to long term problems as the wind helps to move the cable and it wears through the outer sheath.

The are some occasions were the LNB may be changed due to it's age, but again don't worry about this as the installation engineer will carry plenty of these.

My question is, if i were to (in the future) get a HD+ box from ebay, fit it myself and remove the current sky+ box, would i just need to ring sky to get them to pair my card with the new box or would they not allow it?
      A lot of people do this. Currently it appears that you may have a problem copying the contents of your white Sky+ STB to a Sky+ HD STB. Perhaps mrmt32 will compile some software to get around this.

Also keep an eye out for which specific model STB is being sold. The old Thomson, whilst excellent for picture quality, has a history of PSU problems and will not be supported for any future firmware updates. It does not support Anytime+.

Once you have a 2nd hand STB, you will need to connect it up, place your viewing card in it and call Sky to get the viewing card paired to the STB.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wasabi (15-11-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again for the advice Scubbie. I'm confident that my upgrade will be ok.

webheadjunky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cumbernauld
      Thanks

One thing that may be of importance...I think Sky insist that the second box be connected to a phone line so they can confirm both boxes are in your house and the second one isn't in your mate's caravan or something....perhaps others can confirm if this is the case and if it is, do you have a phone point upstairs or is that something the nice Sky engineer will sort out as well?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

With multi room, both boxes must be permanently connected to the phone line at all times. Not just for 12 months as it is with one box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

oh good point (going to have to add this to my tick list for when he comes). There is a phone socket upstairs but it's currently being used by a dsl filter that connects the phone handset and the router.

sorry, more questions
      1) will the tech just remove this so i'm without phone and broadband? Or will he have one of those multple phone socket plug things to connect the sky+ box?

2) Also how long are their phone cables? The upstairs box and the phone line are on opposite sides of the room (wouldn't mind it being longer to be tucked away behind furniture).

Thanks

Thanks

He'll be able to fit a made-to-measure extension lead in.

Just be sure that the microfilter remains the first item plugged into the socket. A lot of problems have been caused with broadband connections when a Sky engineer has plugged a splitter in first, then the microfilter.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You may also find you need to upgrade the filter to a higher quality as the ones supplied by Sky are not the best and sometimes have problems filtering a Digibox.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast