Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible??

This is a discussion on query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible?? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, Had my install and the tech was great with moving my old box upstairs. The only thing that ...

wasabi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible??

Hi guys, Had my install and the tech was great with moving my old box upstairs. The only thing that confused me was that he said only one box needed to be connected to the phone line, not both. He told me that he has 4 boxes at home and only one is connected but I told him that I read somewhere that both needed to be and he hooked them both up just to be safe.

just a little question - what is that little thing dangling behind my sky~+ hd box? It's from the telephone line and there is this adapter thingy which plugs to my box. Looks a bit fragile so i just wondered why he couldnt just make the phone line go directly into the box without this filter.

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: query - HD box upgrade & multiroom but relocating current sky+ box- possible??

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
      just a little question - what is that little thing dangling behind my sky~+ hd box? It's from the telephone line and there is this adapter thingy which plugs to my box. Looks a bit fragile so i just wondered why he couldnt just make the phone line go directly into the box without this filter.
      Could you post a photo please?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

he said only one box needed to be connected to the phone line, not both.
      He is talking twaddle, if you have Sky multi room then both boxes must be connected to the phone. If they are not, you are liable to be charged full subscription on both boxes. Having boxes connected by 'magic eye' is different, these have no need to be connected to the phone.
      without this filter.
      It will not be a filter, it isprobably a splitter. Don't forget this line must be plugged into a filter(unless you have a filtered faceplate) or your broadband will suffer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

wasabi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

about the phone lines, I mentioned it at the start and he said wouldn't be necessary upstairs and then i asked him when he finished installing both boxes. Only then he when to connect the boxes. He said only one needed to be connected to the phone and that because my original sky+ box was never connected, it was alright, unless i wanted box office stuff. I'm glad i was on this site before the installation. (so helpful this site )

That fragile adapter thingy is as per the picture. The right cable is the phone line which the tech stapled neatly round the room, and the left bit goes into the phone socket of the box. I'm scared of breaking it! Not that I plan on moving the box around much but i just wondered.

thanks

p.s. Isitme......the tech told me to put a filter downstairs but i forgot and yes my broadband was really slow. Had to unplug a filter from another room where the phone wasn't used often.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

He obviously didn't have a RJ11-To-BT cable handy. What a mess. Get a proper cable, lengths vary, not expensive.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

As Ken has pointed out, it looks like the installer has cobbled something together. It is just a junction box/splitter. There may be a socket on the other side, but that wire is not secure.

You mention that you broadband connection speed it terrible. I wonder if this telephone lead is bypassing the ADSL filter?

A lot of Sky installers plug the Sky STB in first, then the filter afterwards. This is wrong. The ADSL filter always plugs in first. The Sky STB telephone lead then plugs into the telephone port on that filter.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't know why the TV installers use that type of connector, I can understand why you are worried. One little tug will dislodge the wires. Get a cable like this and use the Sky supplied cable to tie up the other half when you want to watch football on the telly.
      Extra long PC-Modem cable | eBay

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12