Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recording cancels out sat signal ! !

This is a discussion on Recording cancels out sat signal ! ! within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hey guys, So as title says my box this morning lost the signal when a scheduled recording began at 9am. ...

BLADESMAN1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Recording cancels out sat signal ! !

Hey guys,

So as title says my box this morning lost the signal when a scheduled recording began at 9am.

How do I know it was due to recording ?? same thing happened at the start of the next recording at 12pm and again at 3pm then finally just now at 8pm.

The picture/signal COMES BACK ON after the recordings finish or are manually cancelled within about 20- 60 mins.

So far I have tried doing a Planner Rebuild and an LNB check via the Sky helpline.

The problem first arose last week after i paused the box and came back in around 30 mins later to find the signal had gone. I first checked all the cables to the box as i suspected it may have been the cat had dislodged a wire whilst playing with his ball (note i said BALL not balls ) but all cables were in place.

The only other thing i thought it could be after checking all cables was the cable going into the LNB. I gave them a 'twiddle' and the picture came back on. I thought i had solved the problem - i guess it was just luck/timing that the picture came back on when it did.

So my only other option now is get a 2nd hand box as i can get one for half the price of an engeneers call out fee.

Does anyone have any ideas that may solve this ? I have done some googling but this seems to be a unique error.

INFO:

Error message "No satellite signal is being received" (29)

Box: Amstrad DRX890
      EPG Software Version: 45.0.41.12

2. Advertisement
      MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Re: Recording cancels out sat signal ! !

Sounds as if you have a bad connection. See How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable for Sky and Freesat

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
      Sounds as if you have a bad connection. See How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable for Sky and Freesat
      I've had the box for 18 mths now - although i did move into my current flat 3 and half months ago but this is 1st time it has happened.

If it was bad connection it wouldn't just lose picture when a recording began - it seems it is specific to the recording so i don't think that it is a connection.

EDIT:

I checked the cables and connectors inside and out [box and lnb] and all are good. So this MUST be a box fault as it has now NOT come back on as it did before. I will update the post if i find a solution.

Cheers ben
      Last edited by BLADESMAN1; 08-11-11 at 01:46 AM. Reason: added new info

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
      So with daylight I checked the LNB and all cables/connections. I have managed to diagnose that it is one of these.

When I moved into my new flat (house conversion into seperate flats) around 3 mths ago there was already a dish right outside my window with a SINGLE cable running into the flat.

Due to not being able to get a sky installer for 10 days after i moved in i had a friend of mine who installs satellite for the foreign locals, put in a 2nd cable - he didn't have any of the white double cable.

When the sky installer did eventually arrive he checked over the system and said "I wish all my jobs were like this" and went home - not replacing the cable.

Anyway instead of having to buy a 2nd hand box or pay the 65 call out fee I have found another way - I've signed up for the Insurance package 'Sky Protect' for just 8.25 which means I am now covered.

The dish that is outside my window is actually in place and rigged to the guy who lives (& owns) the basement flat.

After a 3rd call to sky - and with a 3rd set of different tests the problem has been found to be a fault on either the cable/connection.

The only possible problem is that the lady from the Sky Protect team said that the Insurance package doesn't cover the actual dish itself if it is a 'Communal' dish. So I will ask the sky installer about putting up a new dish - this has happened before when the lazy installer used the old rusty equipment of a previous tennant/install.

I didn't even ask the bloke he just said " I'm going to give you all new equipment as you should have had it installed properly in the first place "

So fingers crossed.