Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New SkyHD box

This is a discussion on New SkyHD box within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Front shot of the new box. Rear of the new box. The new SkyHD box makes it even easier for ...

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 5
      Sky TV: SkyHD/Motorised
      Thanks

New SkyHD box

Front shot of the new box.

Rear of the new box.

The new SkyHD box makes it even easier for customers to enjoy Sky TV throughout the home. Not only does it have a sleek modern design, making it fit perfectly in any room, but it also has the new TV Guide which was previously only accessible through our Sky+HD boxes.

Customers can now benefit from browsing what’s on whilst keeping an eye on the mini screen. It doesn’t have a hard drive so there isn’t any Sky+ functionality, but it does allow you to set reminders making sure you don’t miss your favourite shows. The box is also future-proofed.

Customers can get their first SkyHD box for free when they take a new Multiroom subscription (10.25 extra a month per box and set-up fees apply). If they’ve already had a SkyHD box, or one of our older digi boxes, they will have to pay 49/€69 when they take a new Multiroom subscription. If a customer simply wants to update their box on an existing Multiroom subscription they will have to pay 99/€99.

These HD boxes are ready for when a customer wants to have our Sky HD channels at any time. They just need to add an additional HD Pack per box.

Enjoy.

Also....

The new Sky HD Box will be introduced into Sky in the near future. This will be our entry level product replacing the current standard definition Sky Box.

The Sky HD product functionality remains essentially the same as the existing standard definition Sky Box, BUT with HD & 3D capability, Dolby Digital over HDMI, and the latest EPG. There are other minor functional differences e.g. Autotune on reminders is not included, and support for Sky Gnome / Sky Talker is not currently available.

The product builds upon the design language of our current Sky+HD and Sky Box, the continuation of the distinctive sweeping top cover seamlessly wraps around the product in gunmetal grey and hi-gloss black on
      the underside.

Consideration has also been given so the product can stand in both the horizontal and vertical orientations.

Control buttons on the Sky HD Box are:

• Standby
      • Channel +/-
      • Back up

Customers cannot enter the TV guide via the control buttons.

4 discrete LED’s remain on the front; standby (red, amber & green), infra-red (red), Ethernet (yellow) and telephone (green).

The PVR display (blue) has been built in to future proof the product, but will not be used at launch.

The Sky viewing card is located behind the flap and the product is Sky HD and 3D branded.

The Sky HD Box is a single tuner system with no hard disk drive; this means that Anytime, Anytime+ or recording is not available. The planner function will however allow customers to set reminders.

The Sky HD Box will be shipped with the standard Sky+HD remote control. As there is no PVR or live pause functionality, the 6 centre section buttons used for recording and playback will not work with the Sky HD Box.

For the Sky HD Box the number of rear connections has been reduced. Most notably there is only one SCART socket, and RF output has been removed.
      This allows us to reduce the size of the Sky HD box to just 273mm (w) x 204mm (d) x 52mm (h), Removing the RF output will mean the Sky HD Box will not be usable with a TV Link, nor will you be able to
      connect the Box to a TV using RF. The preferred connection method would be HDMI, if no HDMI socket is available the SCART can be used.

The install, set up and card pairing process remains the same as the current Sky Box, with the additional set up of the picture and sound in the services menu to ensure the correct resolution and audio output is
      selected. 5.1 Dolby sound over HDMI will also be an option and should be switched on via the sound settings when the customer has an appropriately capable TV or AV Receiver.
      Last edited by The Realist; 16-03-11 at 06:23 PM.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

2. Advertisement
      lincoln is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mosborough,sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New SkyHD box

single tuner and no hard drive ? why would anybody want one of these?

Sky World HD 3D amstrad drx890 box with upgraded 1tb amstrad drx890 mulitiromm sky broadband fibre etc

pat46 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

i wouldn't mind one to replace a multiroom box,which is a few years old

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,493 Posts

Are Sky going to be supplying one of these instead of the Full functions box when the give the first HD box free and charge extra for the Sky+ box? I can't imagine anyone wanting one of these, it is not even that cheap at 99 for an 'upgrade'. That's apart from the way they have butchered the in/outputs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I presume you as a customer is the idea behind this new box, its standard, HD and 3D.

Ideal as a swap/upgrade in multiroom jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by pat46 View Post
      i wouldn't mind one to replace a multiroom box,which is a few years old
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,897 Posts

With the ever increasing sales of HD televisions, I can see that most people will no longer want SD boxes in the longer term.

I notice too that the top is flat. This is perhaps better for those with small TVs who wish to sit the TV on top of the box in order to reduced the footprint of the set up. The old Pace STB has a curved top, making this option decidedly dangerous in some environments.

The lack of Phono output sockets for sound is a little bit of a draw back though. I know that you can get around this by using the Scart socket and an adapter, but not everyone is going to have an Optical input on their stereo in the bedroom. It can be useful to tune the Sky STB to a radio station, leaving the TV off and have it come out of the stereo.

I am a little confused over the inclusion of the LAN port though. Since the STB is not capable of receiving Anytime+ content, does this mean that Sky are working on other Internet content? Perhaps BBC iPlayer will finally arrive soon?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am a little confused over the inclusion of the LAN port though. Since the STB is not capable of receiving Anytime+ content, does this mean that Sky are working on other Internet content? Perhaps BBC iPlayer will finally arrive soon?
      Same thought I had. It's possible they could also be looking at a version of Sky Player to stream content as well? The blurb mentions it being 'futureproof', so I suppose an IP connection is inevitable going forward.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

The LAN ports allows you to hook it up to your network and stream content from your main HD box.

Sky launches multiroom HD box and Sky+ slave | What Satellite & Digital TV

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,897 Posts

I do find it quite funny that many of the FreeSat STBs allow you to view BBC iPlayer, yet Sky are stuck on getting this fixed.

It is also a shame that none of the Sky STBs currently support DLNA. It would be fun to be able to view live content from the Sky STBs on a PC elsewhere in your home.

Edit: Oops! I spoke too soon. See RDC's post & DLNA may well be coming sooner than we thought.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Amstrad DRX595 Sky HD Digibox

Amstrad's newly launched HD Digibox, the DRX595 is a direct replacement for the standard Sky digibox which has now been discontinued. This unit allows customers to access both standard and high-definition channels, without the requirement for an internal hard drive for Sky+ recording.

The Amstrad DRX595 has a similar design to the other digiboxes in the Sky range, sleek, modern design and high gloss black finish which can be stored vertically or horizontally. The unit has the same high level of quality we've come to expect from Amstrad since the release of the latest digiboxes, so good quality picture and sound. The DRX595 also has a modified version of the new Sky EPG (in high-definition) including the quarter screen mini-tv feature; on the whole operates like the current Sky+HD Digibox, just without the record functionality.

The DRX595 features a HDMI port for watching both SD and HD content (you will require a HD Ready television with spare HDMI port), as well as allowing access to 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound via HDMI, a first for Sky. The unit also carries a SCART port should you only have a standard-definition capable television; further connections include an Optical Output (SPDIF), LNB Input, USB, Ethernet port, Telephone port, 10 pin mini DIN and Power port.

Note - this is a standard Sky HD Digibox, not Sky+HD, so doesn't have an internal hard drive for recording programmes. If you wish to use Sky+ record functionality, you need a Sky+HD Digibox. Also note that this unit does not have an RF Output, so cannot be directly connected to another television in another room; you would need an RF modulator for that purpose.

Amstrad DRX595 Sky HD Digibox Main Features

- Suitable for watching both SD and HD channels
      - Upscale all SD content with the use of HDMI
      - Single tuner, requires just one satellite dish cable
      - High quality build and reliability
      - Modified version of latest HD EPG, including mini-TV mode
      - 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound via HDMI, a Sky first
      - Sleek, modern design and high gloss black finish which can be stored vertically or horizontally

Amstrad DRX595 Sky HD Digibox Specification

- Latest design Amstrad DRX595
      - 1 x HDMI
      - 1 x SCART (TV, VCR)
      - 1 x Optical Output (SPDIF)
      - 1 x LNB Input
      - 1 x USB
      - 1 x RJ45 Ethernet Port
      - 1 x Telephone Port
      - 1 x 10 pin mini DIN
      - Dimensions (Width x Depth x Height): 273 x 204 x 52 mm
      - Weight: 2kg approx.

Amstrad DRX595 Sky HD Digibox Contents:

- Amstrad DRX595 Sky HD Digibox
      - HDMI Cable (for high-definition channels, you must use HDMI)
      - UK Power Cable
      - Sky Remote Control (inc batteries)
      - User Guide / Instructions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast