Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

System Fault 06-0 - Sky+ Playback and recording are unavailable

This is a discussion on System Fault 06-0 - Sky+ Playback and recording are unavailable within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, Im a first time poster - found this forum after Googling around yesterday and it looks very helpful so ...

Ziggy09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

System Fault 06-0 - Sky+ Playback and recording are unavailable

Hi,

Im a first time poster - found this forum after Googling around yesterday and it looks very helpful so Im hoping someone can help me!

Basically, some water spilt onto my Samsung Sky HD box last night. It wasnt much, mostly on the top and bit down the side and back.

As soon as the water went on it I heard the hard drive powering down but the picture was still fine.

I dried the box and then after about 10 mins the box suddenly lost all power and just turned off and i could smell a slight burning smell inside.

I waited for it to dry totally and plugged it in again. To my suprise the box got power (red standby light came on) and after the usual wait, I could turn the box on again (light turns green). I could also hear the hard drive whirring but then it stopped and went quiet again within about 2 mins (does this whenever I plug it in again at the mains)

I got picture/sound normally. However all my recordings were gone and now when I try an access my planner or try to pause/rewind live TV it wont let me and all I get is this message:

FOR YOUR INFORMATION 06-0

SYSTEM FAULT

SKY+ PLAYBACK & RECORDING ARE UNAVAILABLE

PLEASE CALL FOR ASSISTANCE

I rang SKY this evening. They tried to get me to do a planner rebuild. However all that happened was that the "HOUSEKEEPING" message came up as soon I pressed select to confirm it and then disappeared again within a second. The mini TV turned off but the screen still displayed the set-up menu and all the functions we still accessable (so the box wasnt thinking about it or anything). Tried this again and same result.

The said this wasnt right so try a system reboot (given up on ever getting my recordings back!). Once I confirm this, the box turns off and goes into standby within 10 seconds and it doesnt seem to do anything before it turns off.

I can then turn it on again and still I get the same message.

I was now told to try the hard drive format by holding down the left and right navigator keys before plugging it in at the mains etc.

However, I had to hold the keys down for a good 90 seconds (not 20-30 seconds as suggested) before the blue lights in the ring started to flash. I then pressed the "SELECT" button and the blue lights started to move round fast in an anti clockwise direction and the RED record light and the BLUE play light in the middle of the ring both came on.

I was now told by SKY to wait for 5 mins until that would finish and the box would come on and it would be ok. And they ended the call.

However, the rings continued to go round in an anticlockwise way and the red and blue lights in the middle stayed on and nothing turned off. I left it for 1 hour and still the same.

After an hour I tried to turn the box on and it came on with the lights still on and moving away. The same system fault message appeared so it seem slike nothing was formatted.

I finally tried a software update. This took about 5 mins before the box turned off into standby. When I powered it up, still the same message.

Sorry for the really long story - I justed wanted to explain fully what Id done and what had happened.

Does anyone know whats happening? I assume the hard disk has gone and is no longer accessible? Like I say, when you turn on at the mains I can hear the hard drive whirring but then after 2 mins it dies again so is there anyway to check it is the hard drive and not an internal wiring fault? I ask this because if I dont want to waste time and money on a new hard drive to find its actually a burned out board or something.

And I take it theres no trip/safety switch that turns the hard drive off in case water is detected (I know - clutching at straws!!).

Any help and advice woudl be much appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: System Fault 06-0 - Sky+ Playback and recording are unavailable

You've fried the box.

Options:

1. Pay Sky 65 for a replacement.

2. Buy a new box, and claim it on your house insurance.

Ziggy09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Re: System Fault 06-0 - Sky+ Playback and recording are unavailable

Thanks,

Sorry for the late reply....been away!!

Yeah, I figured that was what had happened but was hoping just in case!!

Anyway, I think I can get box off ebay so I'll do that!