Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Picture keeps cutting out

This is a discussion on Picture keeps cutting out within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; out of about 8 hrs viewing a day mostly in the evenings between 19.30 - 21.00 i lose picture & ...

Chaos66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBEX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Picture keeps cutting out

out of about 8 hrs viewing a day mostly in the evenings between 19.30 - 21.00 i lose picture & sound its as if the sky box switches off but its still on..... so if i change to another AV channel and back the picture and sound return, the TV is only 18 months old i ve done a new install, planner rebuild and its still doing it any ideas

2. Advertisement
      jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Picture keeps cutting out

What HDMI cable are you using? Is it version 1.3 compatible? (This should be printed on the cable itself). Do you have another cable you can try? Please have a look and post back here.

Thanks

ive been using the cable for about a year now and ive only had problems in about the last month

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

From your initial post it is clear that the sky box and tv are losing their connection with each other, resulting in loss of picture and sound. When you change to a different av channel and back the sky box and tv re-handshake and the picture and sound returns.

What is the HDMI output set to? If it is on Auto then it will be changing the resolution automatically on a regular basis, especially at the start and end of commercial breaks. If on 576 / 720 / 1080 it is a fixed resolution all the time. It might be worth experimenting with this to see if it makes any difference. If it isn't on Auto, try Auto. If it is on Auto, try 1080.

Do you turn the TV off at the mains every night, or just leave it on standby? Although leaving it on standby shouldn't be a problem, if you turn it off at the mains this will ensure that the sky box and tv do a fresh handshake when you turn the tv on. I have noticed that the sky box hdmi output remains active in standby, but this is not the case for other equipment e.g. my panasonic hdmi dvd player (the tv says no signal when I put it in standby).

Have you tried turning the box/tv off completely? This will reset the software in both. Put the TV in standby, turn off/disconnect from mains. Put the sky box in standby, wait for the hard drive to spin down, turn off/disconnect from mains. Unplug the HDMI cable at both ends and reconnect it again. After 5 minutes power the sky box up and give it time to boot, 5 minutes max. Now power your TV on, select the HDMI input your sky box is connected to and switch the sky box on. Now monitor it over the next few hours.

Please post back and let me know what happens.
      Last edited by jasonmark38; 28-07-10 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks

The HDMI output is set to 1080i

yes i turn the TV off at the mains at night and switch it on 1st before i switch the sky box on ... i am just thinking is the box on its way out ?

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You could try it on Auto and see if it makes any difference.

What make of box is it, and how long have you had it? If it's a Thomson then it could be the caps, but if this was the case I think you would be having other problems too.

I still think it is worth doing a power cycle on the sky box as described in my previous post. This is known to solve problems that a sky planner rebuild won't.

Have you tried forcing a software update on the sky box? You could also check if there is a software update available for your TV.

Also try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at both ends to ensure it is connected firmly and securely. I would still like to know what hdmi cable you have (see any printing along the cable itself), even if it has only just started playing up after a year.

Thanks

yeah its a Thompson box, sometimes i get pixelated playback on HD playback if i am recording something else at the same time, lagy planner sometimes ill have a look at the cable when i get home tonight Jason, ill also swap it over as well with another cable see if i can replicate the fault

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

From the other symptoms you describe it sounds like you may have issues with the capacitors in the power supply in your Thomson box. Do you have any issues receiving certain channels? This is worth checking out. If your box is out of your 12 months warranty, a call-out from Sky will cost 65. They will fix whatever fault there may be with the dish, cabling etc. If it is the box they will replace it with a refurb. Alternatively you can get a kit from Satcure to repair the power supply. Unless you are competent at soldering, you will need to find a local technician to carry out the repair.

Thanks

The channels are fine so no worry's there...... i don't have a soldiering iron so i might go for the sky visit so i have no loss of service

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmark38 View Post
      Alternatively you can get a kit from Satcure to repair the power supply. Unless you are competent at soldering, you will need to find a local technician to carry out the repair.
      Local technicians are listed on the SatCure web site. Some offer a "while you wait" service.