Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Amstrad DRX780UK - 1TB Upgrade story - My experience

This is a discussion on Amstrad DRX780UK - 1TB Upgrade story - My experience within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have the Amstrad DRX780UK HD box and tbh its been not been the best experience of a Sky product. ...

lightspeed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Amstrad DRX780UK - 1TB Upgrade story - My experience

I have the Amstrad DRX780UK HD box and tbh its been not been the best experience of a Sky product.

Had issues shortly after install regarding the noise coming from the hard drive (loud clicking). I put up with this for as long as possible before it started ruining the HD experience.

Instead of contacting Sky i decided to upgrade to a 1TB drive as i new that the hard drive was the issue.

DRIVE 1 - Ordered and installed a WD10EADS. I am pretty competant with dismantling PC's etc.. and found the process very straight forward from start to finish. The first few days were bliss, relatively quiet drive and although the EPG seemed sluggish all worked well. I then started getting regular "blue screens" and the drive was obviously struggling to multi task when recording channels, dealing with anytime and instant rewind. Turning anytime off solved these issues and the drive appeared pretty solid after this.

DRIVE 2 - Not content with having "no anytime" i opted to install a Samsung F2 Ecogreen HD103SI. This drive seemed to deal with the demands of HD, instant rewind, anytime etc.. well, however, it was noiser than our initial drive. The drive was louder than the TV volume.

I consequently reverted back to the WD with anytime turned off.

I have now ordered a WD10EVVS which i am told is purpose built for this kind of equipment (the other 2 are more suited to PC's rather than STB's) - will update this post as and when i am convinced it is ok.

FYI: when removing the drives they could not be formatted by windows 7 as copy+ appears to "write protect" the drives. The following link guides you on solving this issue:

Windows 7 RC0 disk is write protected Vista Networks Blog

2. Advertisement
      simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Amstrad DRX780UK - 1TB Upgrade story - My experience

When you put the drive in the box make sure the jumper that limits the transfer rate to 1.5Gbps is installed.

I had similar problems with a 1TB drive in my old Pace box but once I installed the jumper all the problems went away including the random freezing and blocking of the picture on playback. I'm not sure if this is just coincidence or whether there is a genuine compatibility problem with the SATA I interface in the Sky box and SATA II drives.

The drive is now in a DRX890 that replaced the Pace and it's working perfectly so far.

lightspeed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Interesting...i have fitted the WD10EVVS this evening, left anytime off for the time being and seen how this drive beds in.

Inital thoughts are that its quieter than the Samsung but it is still a bit tinny - my GF described it like being on holiday and hearing grasshoppers in the background :-)

Would adjusting the jumper reduce noise levels from the drive?

rhole is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mexborough
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD and Sky+
      Thanks

Hi.

I have had Sky+HD since December and have the Amstrad DX780UK box like you.

Also, I upgraded the box to 1TB the same day I got it, 18th December. It has been flawless ever since.

I bought the same drive as you the WD10EVVS. I didn't have to do the jumper to force to SATA 1.5G mode.

One thing of note though.... about the 'tinny' sound of the drive. I too found the drive to be a bit noisier than I was expecting. It was quiet, but you could 'just' hear it clicking away. I connected it up to the PC and ran HDTools 2.11 and found that the Acoustics settings were not set to their optimal level. I changed this and its silent.

Weird how a drive made for this purpose would not be already set to the Maximum acoustic management, but it wasn't. I would highly recommend taking the drive back out the HD box and doing that.

masth001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01474
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I also have upgraded my Amstrad DRX780 to 1TB. When I record now the box sometimes comes up with "Part recorded technical error -7".

Any Ideas?

Harry M

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhole View Post
      Hi.

I have had Sky+HD since December and have the Amstrad DX780UK box like you.

Also, I upgraded the box to 1TB the same day I got it, 18th December. It has been flawless ever since.

I bought the same drive as you the WD10EVVS. I didn't have to do the jumper to force to SATA 1.5G mode.

One thing of note though.... about the 'tinny' sound of the drive. I too found the drive to be a bit noisier than I was expecting. It was quiet, but you could 'just' hear it clicking away. I connected it up to the PC and ran HDTools 2.11 and found that the Acoustics settings were not set to their optimal level. I changed this and its silent.

Weird how a drive made for this purpose would not be already set to the Maximum acoustic management, but it wasn't. I would highly recommend taking the drive back out the HD box and doing that.
      May I ask what is HDTools 2.11 ???

Can't seem to find it anywhere.

==========
      Regards
      Dave