Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

New Sky+ HD 1TB Box - Ask Away!

This is a discussion on New Sky+ HD 1TB Box - Ask Away! within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by gunny2k9 ...so again round trip why disable allowing usb/esata hdd's when they already give half the info ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,861 Posts

Re: New Sky+ HD 1TB Box - Ask Away!

Quote Originally Posted by gunny2k9 View Post
      ...so again round trip why disable allowing usb/esata hdd's when they already give half the info out free
      Because they can.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Sylar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What are the 1tb boxes going for right now from sky and on ebay assuming you can use them and any 2tb refresh on the way?

gunny2k9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

I payed 99 direct to sky to get 1Tb box ....phoned up to order.... on the website they ask 249 ...

on ebay there going for 170 to 280 .... online shops any where from 249 to 320

i have seen 1 or 2 1tb boxes on ebay that the seller upped to 2tb disks and they try to sell for like up to 400

the choice is yours

Smartmart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have just ordered with Sky by phone, a replacement 1 TB HD Box for 114 with self-install, which is easy to do.

I have a Thompson 4 year old Sky + HD Box, which is showing all the signs of power supply problems.

There is a fault with the Sky site via "My Account". I would have been charged 149 plus full installation of 60 - it did not have a tick box for self-install. It was a good thing that I actually phoned Sky.

I think this is a limited offer up the 23rd June or thereabouts. The additional discount is not advertised and is variable from what I can see.

It is certainly a no-brainer to go for my deal rather than messing around with re-con jobs and getting someone to change the power supply.

A new 1TB Box Sky quoted as 499! This is the charge if I do not connect within one month - did I get that figure right?

By the way Skyuser is a fantastic site - all the good guys can get together.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,464 Posts

A new 1TB Box Sky quoted as 499! This is the charge if I do not connect within one month - did I get that figure right?
      It could well be. It may be a safeguard to stop you getting a cheap box then immediately selling it on with eBay.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

DodgyDave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wantage
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just received a mailshot from Sky offering me a free replacement Sky+ HD box to "reward" me for being an HD subscriber for over 3 yrs. It gives virtually no information about the upgraded box other than to say it is "even better" than the one I have now. Also, to quote from the letter, "We'll just need to take away your old box so it can be recycled".
      I am a bit wary of this offer, because of the lack of detail about the new box. Also, because I had problems with my present box, I forked out for a replacement power supply unit a few months ago. Apparently the quality of the components in the original Thomson box was poor, and having replaced the PSU with a new unit with supposedly better quality components, I don't particularly want to swap it for a new box, which probably has the original poor quality components. Can anyone please advise me whether I should take up the offer? Which box are they likely to be offering me?
      Thanks in advance.....

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,464 Posts

If it is free, the Amstrad 890, which has a 250/250 HDD. The Thomson was the only boxed plagued by faulty PSUs, the new boxes appear to be pretty good. Take it, you will not get Anytime+ with the Thomson, which I think is their real reason for replacing it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If it is free, the Amstrad 890, which has a 250/250 HDD. The Thomson was the only boxed plagued by faulty PSUs, the new boxes appear to be pretty good. Take it, you will not get Anytime+ with the Thomson, which I think is their real reason for replacing it.
      Thanks - it's a pity they don't allow you to keep the old box though, as I would have considered using it with multiroom....I assume if I opted for multiroom now I would have to pay for a second box.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Tell them you intend to take out a multi-room subscription. They will definitely let you keep the box.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, just got off the phone - the box is a Thomson 250Gb box, and they wouldn't let me keep the existing box for multiroom - if I wanted multiroom I would have to pay 199 for a second box. I hope I don't regret it, but I have asked for the replacement box, which as Isitme said above, is Anytime+ enabled. I'm not sure how much I'll want to use Anytime+ as our download speed is pretty slow at 2 - 3 mbps, and I'm not inclined to use precious bandwidth for downloading movies.....

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast