Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky HD cables question

This is a discussion on Sky HD cables question within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have this television, but it does not have a HDMI connection. Hyundai ImageQuest Q321 - 32" LCD TV - ...

Dino M is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ntl
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky HD cables question

I have this television, but it does not have a HDMI connection.

Hyundai ImageQuest Q321 - 32" LCD TV - widescreen: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I am having a Sky HD box delivered on Monday and I just want to know if I can use the following cables

Video - HDMI to DVI
      Fisual Install Series GOLD Plated HDMI to DVI Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Audio
      Xxion Premium 2 metre Twin RCA Phono Plugs - Twin RCA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

If there is another way of connecting the Sky HD box to my television, then please let me know, or if you think that the above cables would be fine for what I need.

Thanks to anyone that can help, as I want to make sure I have to correct cables.

2. Advertisement
      MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Re: Sky HD cables question

You can use a Scart cable, but obviously you won't see HD, only SD. The HDMI to DVI ought to work and, as you obviously realise, DVI doesn't include audio.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Martin, I realise you can use scart, but no point really in upgrading to a HD box and not watching HD, as I have the HD subscription as well.

Thanks though, as I realise you need cables for audio as well, as I did include a link for the audio cables. I realise you can get better quality cables, but I saw this one and was just asking if it would do the job.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bear in mind that a 720p TV is never going to show the full potential of HD TV because it's missing about a million pixels, or (to put it another way) 360 picture "lines".

If your TV won't work with the HDMI/DVI adaptor, I wouldn't waste any more money trying to make it work - it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a 1080 capable TV (i.e. one with a native resolution of 1080 x 1920).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      Bear in mind that a 720p TV is never going to show the full potential of HD TV because it's missing about a million pixels, or (to put it another way) 360 picture "lines".

If your TV won't work with the HDMI/DVI adaptor, I wouldn't waste any more money trying to make it work - it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a 1080 capable TV (i.e. one with a native resolution of 1080 x 1920).
      The television I have is 32", so the difference between 720 and 1080 is not going to be that noticeable on that size screen, as it only starts becoming more noticeable on screens 42" and larger. I have been told this by a couple of different people, one that works for an independant electrical shop and he does know what he is on about.

The thing is, I now know the HDMI cable I bought will work with the HD box, as a couple of people have used the same cable.

So thanks for your advice Old Nick, but unfortunately I do not have a spare 3 or 4 hundred quid, minimum, to buy a new television at the moment, I only wish I did as I would like to get a new TV.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dino M View Post
      The television I have is 32", so the difference between 720 and 1080 is not going to be that noticeable on that size screen, as it only starts becoming more noticeable on screens 42" and larger. I have been told this by a couple of different people, one that works for an independant electrical shop and he does know what he is on about.
      That really all depends on how far you're sitting from the screen. I'm sitting about 18" from a hi-def 22" computer screen right now, and I can easily see the difference between the definitions. I accept that this would be more difficult on a 32" screen at a distance of 10 feet.

pitchcraft is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: walpole st. andrew
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

hi, i had the same problem with my old 32 philips lcd, i had to run the sound through my surround system, after a lot of messing about i bit the bullet and hit the card panasonic 42 plasma, big ouch when bills come in but to justify it by having sky hd ,no point in the extra tenner a month if i couldnt appreciate it, in saying that if you dont have the dosh its down to the dvi. the picture on the 32 wasnt that bad until changed tv but you would have had to have the two side by side to be able to notice.