Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 60k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky HD box - various problems!

This is a discussion on Sky HD box - various problems! within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My Sky HD box was installed 6 weeks ago and over the past few weeks (and noticeably getting worse) I've ...

rgtaylor25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stony Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky HD box - various problems!

My Sky HD box was installed 6 weeks ago and over the past few weeks (and noticeably getting worse) I've experienced the following intermittent problems which only occur on HD programmes (never, so far, on SD programmes):

- playback of recorded programme becomes 'jerky' as if skipping frames
      - as above after having 'live paused'
      - sound is not synced to lips!
      - programmes are not recorded due to a 'clash' when no clash exists
      - programmes are not recorded due to a 'power cut' when none occurred
      - the Sky HD box automatically goes to standby!

I know the box gets hot and so when using the box to watch live/recorded programmes I always have the glass fronted doors to the TV unit open to aid air circulation.

I have not contacted Sky technical support yet as I wondered if anyone else has experienced these problems and found a solution. I am considering simply demanding a new replacement Sky HD box. Any help/advice gratefully received!!

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky HD box - various problems!

Sounds very much like a failing power supply which is I'm afraid all too common on these Thompson boxes. Unusual for it to have failed on a new unit (if the unit Sky have supplied is genuinely new and not a refurb - Failed PSUs have typically been found after 12 months use) and the fact that you keep it in a cabinet rather than allowing air to circulate probably isn't helping the board to keep cool but in your circumstances, calling sky is the best option as replacement will be free.

No need to continue to consider the problem - Call Sky ASAP.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How to bugger your sky+ or HD (this applies to all makes)

(1) Put it in a nice closed unit, and make sure you have Anytime enabled. This will ensure that the receiver spends a lot of time running in a closed space and the fans will circulate nice hot air!!

(2) Never switch it to standby (lots of people will have disabled auto switch off since the last Sky update caused problems with it)

(3) Make sure it is stacked on top of a hot amp or DVD player.

Leave it to cook like this and if you are unluck it will fail at 13 months, just out side the warrenty

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

couldn't agree more.

Mine is 'floating' in mid air so can't be anymore ventilated. I think about 1cm squared on either side of the box is actually in contact with anything, with 3inches of space immediately above and below the box with nothing on the sides. Certainly having no shelf is great with one of the fans pumping air out the bottom of the box!

Thanks

As I dont have any service data on the thompson HD box, the following may not be important, but here goes anyway.

If you look carefully at the top pcb (the one you have to move to take the inner metal top off) you will see that there is what looks like a metal support (it may contact the pcb about midway between the fixing screws). I stuck a small peice of insulation tape on the track side of the board just in case it should contact the tracks and cause trouble.

Iv'e had a look at some pictures, and this may be a change that thomson have introduced (maybe they have had a lot of broken boards caused by heavy handed users) so may not apply to older units. but I throught i would share this with you anyway

Ive just read that this is covered on the Satcure site, so this is known about.
      Last edited by Brian69; 28-08-08 at 09:25 AM.

rgtaylor25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stony Stratford
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky service engineer today simply replaced the HD box with a new one! He didn't bother to do any diagnostic checks - he seemed 'familiar' with the problems I had been experiencing and obviously felt replacing the box was the easier option.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As he was probably just an Installer and not an Electronics Engineer, he obviously had no other option.
      Last edited by Sam Radford; 09-09-08 at 10:46 AM.

Redjovie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I had my HD+ box replaced about 3 months ago...(nothing wrong with it..it was working fine) but was told that there was a fire risk... since then the new box (which sits on a shelf) has been shutting down continuously and its driving me mad. It has not got to the stage that it shuts itself down 3 times in a 50 minute period.
      Have contacted sky (on 24th June 2009) I was told the earliest that an engineer can call to replace the box is the 12th July 2009.
      I phoned technical help and was told " your box is getting too hot" " please raise it up a few centimetres to help it cool down"...this is coming from BskyB !!!!!! a multimillion pound company are telling me that I must raise my box on blocks of wood to help cool it down !!!!!I have been back on to them and I am expecting a phone call on Friday night (03-07-09) if not..I will be back on to them

Thanks

Did you have a pace box to start with? and if so was this part of the recall? and the replacement, did it come in a brown box? and is it a Thomson?

Redjovie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi there, thanks for the reply...it doesn't say the make on it but its the black box with the silver band across the front...it was swapped like for like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast