Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky HD box cutting out (out of warranty?)

This is a discussion on Sky HD box cutting out (out of warranty?) within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I seem to have the oft reported problem with the Sky HD box cutting out. It probably 'dies' to ...

davidlansdale is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky HD box cutting out (out of warranty?)

Hi,

I seem to have the oft reported problem with the Sky HD box cutting out. It probably 'dies' to a powered-off red light about 3-4 times a week. I haven't yet discerned a pattern but it could well match the dual recording hypothesis. This isn't a huge problem more irritating.

I have four questions I hope you can help me with:

1. When I try a planner rebuild it dies after 2 seconds, when I try a full system reset or a hard reset the box cuts out after ~11 seconds, it does not light the record or play lights it just cuts out. It's been a while since a Ilast did this kind of thing but this doesn't seem right?

2. Is this problem likely to just be with the PSU and if so should I replace myself/what do I buy/where do I buy from? (I've replaced parts inside Mac laptops so this should be a doddle).

2. I bought my box somewhere around 1.5 - 2 years ago. What is the warranty on these boxes?

3. If the box is out of warranty, is there any point in calling out a Sky engineer? Will they charge me 65 then more on top for any parts?

Thank you for you help!

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky HD box cutting out (out of warranty?)

Quote Originally Posted by davidlansdale View Post
      Hi,

I seem to have the oft reported problem with the Sky HD box cutting out. It probably 'dies' to a powered-off red light about 3-4 times a week. I haven't yet discerned a pattern but it could well match the dual recording hypothesis. This isn't a huge problem more irritating.

I have four questions I hope you can help me with:

1. When I try a planner rebuild it dies after 2 seconds, when I try a full system reset or a hard reset the box cuts out after ~11 seconds, it does not light the record or play lights it just cuts out. It's been a while since a Ilast did this kind of thing but this doesn't seem right?

2. Is this problem likely to just be with the PSU and if so should I replace myself/what do I buy/where do I buy from? (I've replaced parts inside Mac laptops so this should be a doddle).

2. I bought my box somewhere around 1.5 - 2 years ago. What is the warranty on these boxes?

3. If the box is out of warranty, is there any point in calling out a Sky engineer? Will they charge me 65 then more on top for any parts?

Thank you for you help!
      Sounds like the PSU

I personally wouldn't bother fixing it myself, although it's not a hard job the waiting time on exchange PSU's is over 7days and you only save about 20.00.

Give Sky a call, they will come out and replace the box for another one for the 65.00. (you may even get lucky and get a brand new one) The only downside to this is that you will loose your recordings on the current box unless you back them up using Copy+.

You can get the parts here:- http://www.satcure.com/accs/page12.htm#thomson if you still want to do it yourself.