Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 60k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Copying SKY HD programs to a PC hard drive

This is a discussion on Copying SKY HD programs to a PC hard drive within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Does anyone have any ideas on copying SKY HD box recorded shows to a PC instead of a DVD Recorder. ...

Zuki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Copying SKY HD programs to a PC hard drive

Does anyone have any ideas on copying SKY HD box recorded shows to a PC instead of a DVD Recorder. You can store something like 7,500 on a small device like and Ipod so why not use a PC's hard drive to store Sky TV programs. This does away with the need for loads of DVD discs similar to doing away with the need for CDs in comparison to the ipod.

I know at the moment we cant copy in HD quality, but it would just be nice to watch something with the click of a button instead of trawling through DVDs to find a show you want to watch again. The Sky HD hard drive fills up so quicky esp when recording in HD quality. Hence the need to store elsewhere. I was thinking to plug in a scart lead in the back of the SKY HD box and the other end into the leads coloured yellow, red and white in the PC. Most PCs these days have an input facility such as this. After that I dont know what software one would need in order to be able to actually see the sky planner to copy it over. Anybody with any ideas please??

2. Advertisement
      Xorro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Copying SKY HD programs to a PC hard drive

Hi Zuki,

you can use Copy+ : The Sky & XTV Disk Copier to copy files to your PC, however you won't be able to play them from the PC as they will be encoded.

If you are suffering with the small HD drive, then use Copy+ to set up a larger hard drive for use in the HD box, 750gb seems to be the preferred size, however some people have used a 1Tb disk. You can also copy your existing recordings to the new drive.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,415 Posts

It is possible to copy from the Sky box to a PC and have the files playable. To do this you need a TV card, or a capture card which can recognize the Sky file format, I don't know if any do. You can only do it in 'real time', ie by joining the Sky box to the card using the RF out and playing the feature or film. All cards come with software which enables you to time shift or record what is being played.

Alternately, you may like to consider a HDD DVD recorder. One of these will allow you to record to the HDD and then record anything you really want to keep to DVD.

My objection to upgrading the Sky HDD is that 50% of it is still reserved for Anytime, so even a 500GB drive only gives you a bit less than 250 GB. If there were some way to control the amount allocated to Anytime, I would upgrade tomorrow.

BrianM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abingdon
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      My objection to upgrading the Sky HDD is that 50% of it is still reserved for Anytime, so even a 500GB drive only gives you a bit less than 250 GB. If there were some way to control the amount allocated to Anytime, I would upgrade tomorrow.
      This is wrong surely! The disk space used by Anytime is a CONSTANT 160Gb for the Sky-HD STBs. This means that, with a 500Gb disk for example, the available user space goes up to a more reasonable 340Gb!

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^Actually, I thought the Sky HD Anytime uses 140Gb?

Thanks

I may be wrong about this, but I asked this question on the forum some months ago. I was advised that 50% of the drive was reserved for Anytime, no matter what size the drive was and this was not disputed. If this is incorrect, and someone can definitely confirm it, I will be upgrading very soon

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Oddly enough, I've been looking into this myself.

There's a program called +Extract which can copy the DVB transport streams recorded on the SkyHD disk onto a PC. You can then use a program called Project X which will take those transport stream files and "demux" them into viewable MPEG2 files, provided the TV programme was recorded from a free-to-air channel (like the BBC channels).

If the programme was recorded from a free-to-view channel (like Sky Three) or a subscription channel (like Sky One), then the data will be stored on the disk in an encrypted format which so far has resisted all attempts to crack it, and probably won't be cracked in the foreseeable future. So basically, forget about trying to do that.

As for the space reserved for Sky Anytime, it is apparently fixed at 140GB. The standard disk on a SkyHD box is 300GB, thus leaving 160GB for user recorded material. Swapping the disk for a 500GB does, apparently, give 360GB for user recorded material, so you get more than double the space, even though the disk isn't double the size.

The maximum sized disk a SkyHD box can format is 500GB. It is possible to use an even larger disk, but you have to initialise in a PC using Copy+ before installing it in the SkyHD box.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 180 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

A 1TB HDD works very well!

Thanks

As for the space reserved for Sky Anytime, it is apparently fixed at 140GB
      That's good to hear, I wonder why I read the opposite a few months ago? I will have to get the upgrade under way, as I am running out of space on my 250GB DVD recorder. I just hope I live long enough to watch what I have stored.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      A 1TB HDD works very well!
      Did you format it in the SkyHD box? If you did, then they must have updated the software to cope with larger discs. I'm wavering a bit over whether to get a 500GB disk or a 1TB disk, but if they've fixed the software, I'll definitely go for the 1TB option.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 21-05-13, 08:24 PM
    2. 19-04-13, 10:54 AM
    3. 26-06-12, 11:09 AM
    4. 31-01-08, 11:20 AM
    5. 30-01-08, 05:07 PM
    6. 30-01-08, 03:43 PM
    7. 30-01-08, 03:42 PM