Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Easy switch from BT

This is a discussion on Easy switch from BT within the Sky happiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Hi All Sky Phone/Broadband unlimited went live in the 6th December, no hitches, other than a quick phone call to ...

noddy119 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01760
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Easy switch from BT

Hi All

Sky Phone/Broadband unlimited went live in the 6th December, no hitches, other than a quick phone call to helpful customer services to get Caller ID switched on.

Much cheaper overall and faster speed - 6.5Mbit/s faster than BT

I would post the speed.io graphic but I can't work out how to do it..

When I rang BT for the MAC code they miraculously offered to reduce phone and broadband/phone by 25 a month to retain me (after advising my monthly usage was averaging much less than 40gb and I could move off of unlimited. I got a tad annoyed at this revelation - why did they not tell me years ago???)

I asked the advisor to feedback to her bosses that it should not have taken a cancellation to get a better deal and that they would be better placed in offering loyalty deals to long serving customers, rather than giving the best deals to 'New Customers Only'...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Easy switch from BT

When I rang BT for the MAC code they miraculously offered to reduce phone and broadband/phone by 25 a month to retain me (after advising my monthly usage was averaging much less than 40gb and I could move off of unlimited. I got a tad annoyed at this revelation - why did they not tell me years ago???)
      BT are not the only company to practise this, all of them do it. My recent house insurance is an example, after 9 years with one insurer I shopped around and got a much better quote. On phoning the old one to tell them not to renew as I had a much better quote, I was asked to hold on while he spoke to his supervisor. After a minute he comes back and says 'Ok we will knock 200 off your premium' He was miffed when I told him you are too late, if you offered that in the first place I would not be leaving, I'll get a quote from you next year.

Your stats are more useful than speedtests, so if you post them we will be able to say whether you are doing as well as you should
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

noddy119 (15-12-11)

noddy119 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01760
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme - here are my stats

Connection Speed 15357 kbps 1105 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20.0 dB 10.3 dB
      Noise Margin 7.9 dB 8.4 dB

Thanks

That's not bad, you should end up with 16Mb, but if you don't have a filtered faceplate fitted, you could try plugging into the Test socket. You are looking for a rise in your noise margin.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steviegib is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Hi,

I moved painlessly from BT to Sky on the 15th Dec. Saved a load of money out each month and I've got great speeds just now.

These are my stats and today is the 9th day.

ADSL 22959 kbps 1150 kbps
      Line Attenuation 9.5 dB 6.7 dB
      Noise Margin 7.4 dB 9.5 dB
      Last edited by steviegib; 24-12-11 at 04:50 AM. Reason: tidied up layout

Thanks

That's the advantage of letting DLM do its job If you had been impatient and called Sky for them to manually configure your line, you would have got 20 Mb max. You might get a bit more with the upload, but maybe not. For some reason the upload seldom gets to the maximum of 1.3Mb, even on DLM. Have a look at your WAN uptime, if this is much over 48 hours, DLM has probably completed.

TomD

Useful Utilites