Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rewired my house!

This is a discussion on Rewired my house! within the Sky happiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Hi, just thought I'd let you know of my ordeal last week. I decided to rip out all of my ...

connormill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kincorth, aberdeen, scotland
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Rewired my house!

Hi, just thought I'd let you know of my ordeal last week. I decided to rip out all of my phone cables (6 sockets) and the BT junction box, get all new filtered faceplates, so I started by turning on call diversion to my mobile then went up into the loft and proceded with removing the old phone cables and junction box, next i fited the new junction box and the master socket. Next up was putting in all the other sockets, I had all my new BT cable and got to work about an hour later all the cabling was in the other 5 sockets, so I then fited the facelates, plugged the phone back in and it worked! But i thought while i was here I might as well wire ethernet from the Sky modem to my other PC as the wire less is too slow so i went down to maplin got an 3 ethernet facelates and 60m of Cat6 (want to be futreproof) and wired up 3 rooms with ethernet, 2 bedrooms and living room as the modem is now in the hallway next to the master socket. I also labeled all the cables so if a fault develops i can easily see what the problem is, so now my router syncs at 16380 and line atu is 11Db down and 6Db up I get a speed test speed show below, and no longer have to use slow wireless. Very pleased with my self.
      Router stats:
      System Up Time 51:27:06
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions .........Tx B/s........Rx B/s.........Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1092821 1504927 0 13554 55513 08:26:20

ADSL Link .....Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16382 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 11.0 db 5.8 db
      Noise Margin .........3.9 db 16.5 db
      Exchange info: Samknows Broadband - Aberdeen Kincorth (NSKNC) exchange
      Distance form exchange: crow flies 148m actual line 272m
      Last edited by connormill; 11-03-08 at 12:16 AM.
      Amstrad Sky+HD, Samsung Sky+HD, Thomson Sky+ and a Pac Sky+, Sky talk unlimited + line rental, and Sky Broadband Unlimited at 18.5Mb/s - Priceless, literally ( £0/month!)

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Rewired my house!

Hi Connormill.
      Well done. It's always a good idea to dump wireless whenever possible (did you remember to disable it in the router?) .

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Hi Connormill.
      Well done. It's always a good idea to dump wireless whenever possible (did you remember to disable it in the router?) .
      No i left it on for my ipod touch but its WPA'ed up and has a access list, I know the acess list is not that secure but im a belt and suspenders kind of person!
      P.S
      forgot to say that I live 138m (as the crow flies) or 217m (actual line length) from the exchange, I know this as it was my gradfather who wired in the line in the 50's (or there about) and he knows where the line goes and I mesured the route of the line on google earth
      Last edited by connormill; 10-03-08 at 07:31 PM.
      Amstrad Sky+HD, Samsung Sky+HD, Thomson Sky+ and a Pac Sky+, Sky talk unlimited + line rental, and Sky Broadband Unlimited at 18.5Mb/s - Priceless, literally ( £0/month!)

| Nik | is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields - NESS
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sounds like youve really sorted your house out!

If you dont mind me asking, how much did all that cost you?

Im gettin awful speeds from sky and was thinking of looking into this sort of stuff myself.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by | Nik | View Post
      Sounds like youve really sorted your house out!

If you dont mind me asking, how much did all that cost you?

Im gettin awful speeds from sky and was thinking of looking into this sort of stuff myself.
      I will base my list below on 1 ethernet port and 1 adsl and you can multipy out from there, these are rough prices so go to your local shop for acurate prices (i got a lot of stuff from my local maplin)
      Heres the list:
      10m BT cble (white) £0.79/metre
      10m Cat6 (ethernet) £0.99/metre
      ADSL filtered faceplate £12
      Ethernet faceplate £2 (eBay)
      2 ethernet end conectors £2
      Bt Junction box (you will probably not need to replace), i dont think you can buy them

Heres my list:
      40m Bt Cable £0.79/metre
      30m Cat6 £0.79/metre
      4x Adsl Filterplates £8(eBay)
      3x Ethernet faceplate £25
      box of 20 ethernet end conectors £10
      Bt junction box £free (i know someone who works for bt)
      Time: 4hours or so (incl tea breaks)

those are rough prices

EDIT:
      i would recomend NOT upgrading the junction box as ive been told that bt dont like it and my charge you. I did it because i know someone from BT who will fix it anyway (i could do it my self though) and i stood on the old one cracking the case.
      Last edited by connormill; 10-03-08 at 11:58 PM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Nik.
      Right, for poor sync speeds, the first thing is to ensure that your internal set-up is as good as it can be.
      This means
      (1) get yourself a NTE-5 master and fit it as close as possible to where the line enters your home and connect it to the incomming line only.
      (2) now use a filter and connect your router and a phone to the test socket and check your speeds. Try and leave this set-up like this for 24hours and monitor noise margin and speeds while ussing the phone.
      You will now know what speeds your line can support.
      (3) Use a filter faceplate and try to keep your router close to the master.
      (4) use cat5 or 6 cable to connect router to PC or mains network device (cable is cheaper) disable wireless at the router if you do not need it.

If you do not know how to do the wiring, then use the web to find out before you start, you do not want to get half way thru and get stuck

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I also forgot to say in my original post that I have ran a coax tv network in my house so that every room have a signal for freview/analouge and all 3 of my sky boxes are in it all on different RF's of 50, 55 and 60 so if i want a tv in a room that doent have sky i can do the tv link thing to 1 of 3 boxes and i topped it off with a new antenna on the roof ( TRIAX UNIX 52 WIDEBAND DIGITAL +ANALOGUE UHF TV AERIAL on eBay, also, Freeview Aerials, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 10-Mar-08 23:11:02 GMT) ) so i now have a fully wired house, my next job is to attach a 8 port router to my sky one and run etherent to every room like i did with the TV

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      If you do not know how to do the wiring, then use the web to find out before you start, you do not want to get half way thru and get stuck
      lol I know many people who have had that happen to them and they all end up phoneing me to come and lox it, thank god i (well sort of)know what im doing.

| Nik | is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields - NESS
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I probably should have mentioned that Im a total novice to this stuff and it would be a family friend doing most, if not all of the hands on stuff. I'd just be buying the stuff.

From what Connormill has said its not as costly as I thought it was going to be. Someone else where said 1000s of pounds strangely. Im guessing if my friend cant do it, paying someone costs alot?

And at Brian69, Most of that I dont understand, if you could simplify it, send it through PM or into this thread, cheers.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by | Nik | View Post
      I probably should have mentioned that Im a total novice to this stuff and it would be a family friend doing most, if not all of the hands on stuff. I'd just be buying the stuff.

From what Connormill has said its not as costly as I thought it was going to be. Someone else where said 1000s of pounds strangely. Im guessing if my friend cant do it, paying someone costs alot?

And at Brian69, Most of that I dont understand, if you could simplify it, send it through PM or into this thread, cheers.
      Its always cheaper to buy the things yourself my toal was about £300 inluding all cables faceplates crimped conectors and tv antenna

DONT hire someone to do it they are (well most of them) cowboys and will make you pay through the nose, if you lived in aberdeen id do it but check on ebay for the cbles and conector first, I went to maplin cuz i coldnt be botherd waiting, it was a slow sunday afternoon and i thought, lets rewire the house,
      the moral of the story is:
      Get a friend/family member to do it if you cant (its cherper)
      Check ebay if you can wait
      if not
      try a local electronic store
      make sure you dont buy inte the "supe-high speed axtra titamium firbe DSL cable", you know thw one £10/metre, its crap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast