Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky (no) Go on a laptop

This is a discussion on Sky (no) Go on a laptop within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; After install I try running it, get the splash screen then.... "CONNECTING YOUR APPLICATION We are having problems connecting the ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Sky (no) Go on a laptop

After install I try running it, get the splash screen then....

"CONNECTING YOUR APPLICATION
      We are having problems connecting the application. Please make sure that you are connected to the internet and try again."

Tried the solutions here to no avail...

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-...2/td-p/2811582

Been working fine on my main pc.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky (no) Go on a laptop

I'm assuming that your main PC uses Ethernet for its network connection. Have you tried the same with your laptop?

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      I'm assuming that your main PC uses Ethernet for its network connection. Have you tried the same with your laptop?
      Switched it on this morning and its working now. Both pc's using Ethernet at the time yesterday and this morning). Seems a fickle app.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Sky Go on all platforms is just an after-thought now for Sky. The have no interest what so ever in Sky Go anymore. Several people at Sky have told me as much and that because it's and I quote 'free', Sky are not putting much resources into Sky Go anymore.

There are still issues with the iOS Sky Go app as well (crashing ads and programs that cycle back to the beginning after the ad breaks). Issues which have been present for well over 12 months now.

Don't expect a fix anytime soon on any platform for Sky Go. Sky Go is basically done now and IMHO it's only a matter of time before Sky ditch it altogether.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      Sky Go on all platforms is just an after-thought now for Sky. The have no interest what so ever in Sky Go anymore. Several people at Sky have told me as much and that because it's and I quote 'free', Sky are not putting much resources into Sky Go anymore.

There are still issues with the iOS Sky Go app as well (crashing ads and programs that cycle back to the beginning after the ad breaks). Issues which have been present for well over 12 months now.

Don't expect a fix anytime soon on any platform for Sky Go. Sky Go is basically done now and IMHO it's only a matter of time before Sky ditch it altogether.
      That is not the case.
      Sky Go is used very heavily for programming and plays a very high part in Sky's distribution. Mostly highest proportion of use for its sport content that achieves very high viewing demand.
      Been on sky customer trials for Sky Go apps and other Sky apps this year and previous years quite regularly and loads of improvements have been added, including plenty from us trialists.

Have no issues with iOS and Android apps with Sky Go, other Sky apps like the Sky sports apps and the more recent Sky Q apps. All perform perfectly on many phone/tablet devices without any problems.

And of course the many Sky streams that also supply NowTV and also supplied to third parties like the Virgin TV anywhere and BT apps etc.
      Last edited by lettice; 06-05-18 at 01:09 PM.

morgee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Q Silver Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      That is not the case.
      Sky Go is used very heavily for programming and plays a very high part in Sky's distribution. Mostly highest proportion of use for its sport content that achieves very high viewing demand.
      Been on sky customer trials for Sky Go apps and other Sky apps this year and previous years quite regularly and loads of improvements have been added, including plenty from us trialists.

Have no issues with iOS and Android apps with Sky Go, other Sky apps like the Sky sports apps and the more recent Sky Q apps. All perform perfectly on many phone/tablet devices without any problems.

And of course the many Sky streams that also supply NowTV and also supplied to third parties like the Virgin TV anywhere and BT apps etc.
      I’m sorry to say that my experience is the complete opposite to yours in so far as Windows is concerned. On our three ios devices, perfect, does what it says it will. On my Windows 10 64bit desktop PC both Sky Go and Sky Sports Player apps are utterly appalling. Even after full on deletion with Revo Pro Uninstaller to include deletion of said Cisco and Sky folders et al. Emptying bin with CC Cleaner to include cache and cookies etc. Restart > reinstal > and repeat > and repeat > and>....... you get it. I’m stumped and have decided to leave them uninstalled until such time as an announcement from Sky telling all issues are sorted. It’s frustrating because others, for no discernible reason, have no issues or totally different issues. Confusing.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Sky Go has still not even been optimised for the iPhone X screen yet.......that just shows how little effort Sky put into Sky Go!!

.......don't even get me started on Sky's utterly useless trials either. They are not even worth the effort as Sky never listen and it's just full of people wanting something new with zero interest in actually seeking out bugs etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morgee View Post
      I’m sorry to say that my experience is the complete opposite to yours in so far as Windows is concerned. On our three ios devices, perfect, does what it says it will. On my Windows 10 64bit desktop PC both Sky Go and Sky Sports Player apps are utterly appalling. Even after full on deletion with Revo Pro Uninstaller to include deletion of said Cisco and Sky folders et al. Emptying bin with CC Cleaner to include cache and cookies etc. Restart > reinstal > and repeat > and repeat > and>....... you get it. I’m stumped and have decided to leave them uninstalled until such time as an announcement from Sky telling all issues are sorted. It’s frustrating because others, for no discernible reason, have no issues or totally different issues. Confusing.
      I was not talking about the new Windows app. Have seen a few glitches with that Myself.
      It seems that it is causing some users problems with stuttering on some PCs and laptops.
      Works fine for me generally, but do have some PCs and laptops that I have also seen it causing high cpu that affects stuttering sometimes on live TV.
      Oddly as in the testing my Linx 1010b, a low spec Windows 10 tablet runs very smoothly without any issues.
      But my two MS surface i5 and i7 MS surface pros can at times run poorly with it.

Sky are looking to resolve this stuttering issue. Windows 10 with so many devices will be of course be difficult to test all devices at once.

What is the spec of that PC desktop, including your graphics card details?
      morgee likes this.

morgee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Q Silver Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post

What is the spec of that PC desktop, including your graphics card details?
      Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
      Installed RAM 12 GB
      64 bit

Graphics card:
      Intel(R) Graphics 4600

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morgee View Post
      Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
      Installed RAM 12 GB
      64 bit

Graphics card:
      Intel(R) Graphics 4600
      That spec you would have thought should easily run it fine.
      But from what I've seen the spec does not seem to be the problem.

There have been suggestions about temporarily disabling AV and malware (like Malwarebytes) and turning off realtime scanning in Windows 10, when using the Sky Go app. Not an ideal solution, but it does seem to reduce CPU allowing Sky GO and live tv to run a little better without so much stuttering.
      That had no effect on any of the high end machines I have that suffered from the stuttering.

But like you say, best to wait for updates to the app. It still needs work to get it working better.
      Last edited by lettice; 09-05-18 at 11:09 AM.
      morgee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast