Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Major update to Sky Go Android

This is a discussion on Major update to Sky Go Android within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Sky have launched a major update to the Sky Go app for Android today. It's the moment many of you ...

rs101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAWIX
      Broadband ISP: Andrews and Arnold
      Router: Billion
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Major update to Sky Go Android

Sky have launched a major update to the Sky Go app for Android today. It's the moment many of you have been waiting for.
      The new application will run on any Android device running Android v4.0 or above, as long as it is running official software and hasn't been rooted. Yep - you read that correctly. There's no longer a whitelist of approved devices!!!

The new app replaces both the existing Sky Go and Sky Go Tablet apps.
      It incorporates all of the improvements in the Tablet app, including higher quality and more reliable streams, the ability to pause and skip back, and even receive push notifications of new content.

The tablet app will be removed from the Play Store in the very near future - current users should install the Sky Go app instead. However, make sure any downloaded programmes are watched before upgrading, as they will need to be re-downloaded after switching to the Sky Go app.

Users of devices running Android 2.2 or 2.3 will be able to use the existing app at the moment, but should plan on upgrading their devices as Sky will eventually withdraw support for these older operating systems.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rs101 For This Useful Post:

acbeaton (15-01-15),Scubbie (13-01-15)

3. Advertisement
      acbeaton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01620
      Broadband ISP: BT Unlimited Broadband
      Router: N/a
      Thanks

Re: Major update to Sky Go Android

Thanks rs101.
      My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (Android v. 4.4.2) opened with a notification about the Sky Go update this morning and my Sky Go Tablet app, which stopped working when the tab was upgraded recently from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2, was replaced by the new Sky Go app.
      My Samsung Note 4 (Android v. 4.4.4), which has never been able to run Sky Go since I bought it in December, did not receive the notification, but I installed the new app from Google Play Store.
      Both devices are now running Sky Go a treat.
      Hopefully this is the end of the frustrating situation of losing access to Sky Go whenever the Android OS was upgraded.

rs101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAWIX
      Broadband ISP: Andrews and Arnold
      Router: Billion
      Thanks

It's certainly the end of the device whitelist in the app. There does still seem to be an OS whitelist, but they're working much more closely with Google on that. It was an issue briefly when the Nexus 7 (2012) was updated to 5.0.2 unexpectedly. It won't affect most users as it just seems to be a min/max Android version it can run on, not linked to individual devices. So when your Note 4 updates to Lollipop, it should continue to work without any issues.

acbeaton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01620
      Broadband ISP: BT Unlimited Broadband
      Router: N/a
      Thanks

To rs101: Here's hoping.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

So I have Sky Go Tablet working on a Minix X8-H+ android box, which isn't rooted, so will this work with the new app?
      Previously there have been issues with the HDMI output on boxes like this on previous Sky Go apps.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Provided that you are on Android 4.0 and above then yes it should work.

What you can also do though is to install Sky Go (the new release) and later remove Sky Go Tablet. This should allow you to test the new software first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms