Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Use Sky Player while abroad?

This is a discussion on Use Sky Player while abroad? within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I'm about to go off to work in Sri Lanka for a few months, and I'd like to know how/if ...

BrixtonBiker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brixton
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Use Sky Player while abroad?

I'm about to go off to work in Sri Lanka for a few months, and I'd like to know how/if I can use Sky Player while I'm over there. I don't know what the local TV stations will be like, and having been on long consulting assignments abroad before, know I get rather bored in the evenings sitting in me hotel room with nothing to watch but TV shows in languages I don't understand!
      I've tried to use Sky Player abroad before, but was blocked from logging in as I obviously now had an IP address that was recognised as being outside the UK.
      Anyone know a way around this?
      Short of downloading all the content available to me before I leave, I don't know how to go about this.

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Use Sky Player while abroad?

Quote Originally Posted by BrixtonBiker View Post
      I'm about to go off to work in Sri Lanka for a few months, and I'd like to know how/if I can use Sky Player while I'm over there. I don't know what the local TV stations will be like, and having been on long consulting assignments abroad before, know I get rather bored in the evenings sitting in me hotel room with nothing to watch but TV shows in languages I don't understand!
      I've tried to use Sky Player abroad before, but was blocked from logging in as I obviously now had an IP address that was recognised as being outside the UK.
      Anyone know a way around this?
      Short of downloading all the content available to me before I leave, I don't know how to go about this.
      if you try to access the online content from another country, you will be blocked. the only way around this is illegal.

you need to download everything you want to watch before you go, then watch them from the hard drive not the internet

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      if you try to access the online content from another country, you will be blocked. the only way around this is illegal.
      First comment is true, the second isn't. It may breach the spirit of Sky's T&Cs but there are perfectly legal ways of getting a UK connection overseas.

The OP needs a UK proxy server (VPN). There are lots around, some better than others. The free ones will most likely not support streaming consistently, a paid-for version should offer better throughput. I haven't personally used a paid service so can't recommend one unfortunately.

BrixtonBiker, have you checked whether your employer has a UK VPN you can use? I've streamed BBC iPlayer in the US and Hulu from US to UK with no problems through various work-based connections.

BrixtonBiker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brixton
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      The OP needs a UK proxy server (VPN). There are lots around, some better than others. The free ones will most likely not support streaming consistently, a paid-for version should offer better throughput. I haven't personally used a paid service so can't recommend one unfortunately.

BrixtonBiker, have you checked whether your employer has a UK VPN you can use? I've streamed BBC iPlayer in the US and Hulu from US to UK with no problems through various work-based connections.
      Yeah, I figured a VPN would be the best way to do it. We don't have one at work though, so I'd need to find a decent 3rd party one. I've used HotspotShield before now to get access to US only content, and you're right - it sucks.

Has anyone used a paid VPN service for accessing UK content from outside the UK, and could recommend one?

It would also be useful for accessing things like our VoIP system etc, in the offchance that VoIP traffic is blocked in Sri Lanka as a rule. (It is in the Middle East, not to mention a whole lot of other - er - "content"...)

kezwez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Hi guys, i live in turkey and was with out english TV for 3 years! i found the following site UKiVPN VPN Service to UK, US and Canada i can assure you that it is fantastic! it works like a dream i watch itv, channel 4 and also bbc with it and my son watched cbeebies live. i am now goin to subscribe to sky player so i can watch more channels. you pay through paypal so it is secure and you can pay monthly or yearly. when you subscribe the send you a step by step set up you need to do on your PC to set up a work connection then after that your ready to go!!..

hope this helps
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 26-08-10 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Clickable links removed

henners15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Hi,thanks keswez, I'm going to France for a month and would like to be able to use sky player while I'm a way, Can I suscribe for just one month, rather than yearly

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners15 View Post
      Hi,thanks keswez, I'm going to France for a month and would like to be able to use sky player while I'm a way, Can I suscribe for just one month, rather than yearly
      Sky Player is now defunct.

You will need to find out about Sky Go now.

It has a separate set of rules and subscriptions to Sky Player and was only launched a few days ago.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

thomasvincenttv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I was living in Israel, and missing my UK ad US TV. I had plenty of time to explore the different options of finding ways of accessing the shows I wanted to watch. After looking at all the digital and satellite offers I found the best value to be watching through the internet. Some of the satellite offers looked cheap but offered access to 1000ís of poor quality channels. Most broadcasters and channels on their websites allow you to stream and watch there programmes they have on offer but these websites do have location restrictions. So you can only watch UK TV when in the UK, or so I thought. Have a look at SecureandStreaming . com They will tell you about the cheap software that I bought that allows you to overcome location restrictions and then you can watch your favourite programs from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, France, Germany. And many more any where in the world with internet access.
      So whether you are living abroad like I am, or want to play TV through your laptop to keep the kids entertained on holiday like we do then this was a very cheap and effective way of doing this. Enjoy!