Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp

This is a discussion on sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have vista home premium and have been using anytime for about a month without any problems. When i logged ...

mini me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp

I have vista home premium and have been using anytime for about a month without any problems. When i logged on today i got a message telling me about a new update so i downloaded it. Got halfway though install when i had a message pop up whuch said.

"Sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp"

you then click ok and it shuts anytime down.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing and running the set up wizzard in compatabilty mode but still get the same result. Can anyone help?

edit 9/6/07

Just a quick update to let you no that i cannot access anytime on my pc at all now. when i click the short cut all i get is the same message.

really pi##ed off now

Last edited by mini me; 09-06-07 at 02:48 PM.

2. Advertisement
      furrypotato is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp

I had the same problem as you but have it working ok now.

I may just be a genius though :-)

I dont have any programming background but after a couple of hours research and downloading software I managed to extract all the install files from the anytimeinstall.exe file and then using an installation program maker managed to find the part where it checks for the version of windows you are using and changed it so it always thinks you are using XP. Then I re-compiled it into an installation file. - and it worked !!! I now have a working version of Sky Anytime.

Contact me by email or PM and I'll give you a copy of the fixed install file.

Dylan

KingJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mitcham
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do you think you could tell us what the program that you used to change the OS requirement was? Could be very useful for a few other programs I want to run, if not, i'd appreciate it if you could give me a copy of the fixed installer too!

Hopefully this will be much easier than having to install a copy of XP in a virtual machine within Vista to install anytime.

Thanks

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi KingJ,
      I used UniversalExtractor (it's free) to extract the files from the .exe (Run it as an administrator)

This gives you a .msi file.

I then used the trial version of installaware express to import the .msi file(YOu have to install installaware express with all the optional conponents to use the import feature) .
      Then I looked down through the writing on the page (well, did a search for the letters XP) until I found where it mentions the different versions of windows. I noticed that for each different version of windows it assigns a number to a variable.

at the end of that part I simply added a line that then reset that variable to be the windows Xp one so the installer always thiinks you have XP.

Then I got it to re-build the installer (It had a missing file at first and would not do it but I added a blank file in with teh same name and it finished ok then)

You end up with a few files and simply run the one called anytimeinstall.exe

Anyway, I'll PM you with a link to the fixed install program.

Let me know how it goes.

-mc- is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

About 3 weeks ago I emailed Sky asking when there would be a Vista version of the program, and this is the reply I got :

Dear - - - -

Thank you for your email concerning downloading Sky Anytime on PC.

I can confirm that customers who are registering for Sky Anytime on PC via a non- Windows XP computer will find that you are not given the option to download the application.

Sky has selected Windows XP as the operating system of choice to launch Sky Anytime on PC. Taking into account the features of Sky Anytime on PC, we feel that Windows XP best meets the needs and expectations of our customers, particularly when watching videos on your PC.

There are no firm plans to expand compatibility to other operating system at this time. However, we will always consider customer feedback in our plans to enhance the product in the future.

Should you require further assistance, please contact me on the above email address or contact Sky Anytime on PC customer services on 0870 609 4508.

Kind Regards

- - - - - - - - - -
      Customer Relations

I know that Sky Anytime will run on Vista, as I had used it for some time with no problems whatsoever, but it seem that with this last update Sky are deliberately blocking Vista users..... Stops their technical support line getting too busy I suppose !

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes it runs on vista fine.. the only gripe i have with it is if you have to reinstall your PC then even with the same computer name etc you still have to ring up and get it released as it locks itself to that install

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Pete,

How did you manage to get it working on Vista again after the update ?, so far I`ve had no luck.

Oxyg3n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you tried the compatability modes on Vista to get it working as if it was working on XP? (Right Click the Program > Properties > Compatability)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
      Have you tried the compatability modes on Vista to get it working as if it was working on XP? (Right Click the Program > Properties > Compatability)
      Yes I have, and it didnt work

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some of the people who tried the fixed installer I made have had problems with it so you might like to try doing what I did.
      I have vista and have anytime running and downloading fine.(BY the way, if people do get it to work can you post here to let me know)

So for those who feel brave enough I will post here what I did so that you too can try it - a step by step guide I hope.

All the software needed is either free or available on a free trial.
      Firstly you'll need Universal Extractor (It's freeware) - http://uniextract.c1pher.com/uniextract15.exe

And download the trial of InstallAware. - InstallAware Windows Installer Product Downloads and select Single file Download so you get all of it.(And make sure it does a full install so that it includes the database Import Wizard)

Install them both.

( and if you havent already, download the full version of the Sky Anytime installer from their website - http://static1.sky.com/svod/SVOD/UPD...ytimeSetup.exe)

During all of the below when you run any program, run it as Administrator.

Firstly use Universal Extractor and select the skyantimesetup.exe
      It will then come up and ask to select between 2 different modes- select the second one ( InstallShield /b switch)
      You will then see some of the normal install stuff that skyanytimeinstall does come up.
      If Universal Extractor comes up with an error- just click OK. Then the anytime installer will give you the usual message about needing XP to install. Click OK and then finish.

Right, now you'll have a directory with a folder in it with a weird name ( like - uni_wmqhejj)

Inside that folder will be skyanytime.msi (This is the actuall installation file)

Now you need to start Database Import Wizard (part of InstallAware )

Select skyanytime.msi as the database to import then click next.
      Select the folder location to place the imported files in (It;s also where the final working files will be)
      Keep on clicking Next until it starts the import.

When it's done, make sure there is a tick where it says 'open the project in installaware IDE' and then click Finish.

Select 'I would like to try InstallAware then click Next.
      This opens up the main InstallAware window.

Go to Edit>Find and enter ' Set Variable VersionNT 501' in the find box and click 'Find'

Click on the line it finds and then Edit>Copy

Go down a few lines and click on the line that starts ' get system setting Language'
      Then Edit>Paste

Then Edit>Find again and look for ' checker'
      Click on the line it finds and then Edit>cut

Use Edit>Find to find the next 'checker' again. Then select the line below and Edit>Cut again.

Now go to Project>Build.

You can now close Installaware- you're done with it.

Now go to the folder you selected that InstallAware use and go to Release folder then Uncompressed folder.

click on SkyAnytime.exe to install your fixed SkyAnytime.
      when it finsihes it will ask you to reset your Pc- dont bother you dont need to.

You should now be able to start Sky Anytime(run it as administrator).
      During the startup it will come up and give you an error but just click OK ( It's the SkyAnytime Updater that we removed from the install earlier)

You should now have the anytime login screen and can go on from there .

Good Luck, I hope this works for you all.

Dylan
      Last edited by furrypotato; 14-06-07 at 08:04 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 25-05-08, 10:45 PM
    2. 19-04-08, 09:28 AM
    3. 12-03-08, 08:49 PM
    4. 01-02-08, 08:30 PM
    5. 09-12-07, 12:31 PM
    6. 08-12-07, 12:08 AM
    7. 06-12-07, 07:50 AM
    8. 05-11-07, 12:48 AM
    9. 09-10-07, 03:09 PM
    10. 21-08-07, 08:26 PM