Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Pop3, Hotmail, Outlook Express

This is a discussion on Pop3, Hotmail, Outlook Express within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, I'm new here so please be patient if this seems a trivial issue/fix that has been mentioned hundreds of ...

coatesch74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CUDWORTH
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pop3, Hotmail, Outlook Express

OK, I'm new here so please be patient if this seems a trivial issue/fix that has been mentioned hundreds of times before

Firstly, I've just had the Mid package installed and go live (3.3Meg/500kB) last night.
      Connection's great, and sites come up fine.

I have my own domain (hosted on a FastHosts server) from which I download my emails from a pop server.
      I can connect fine to my domain through a browser
      if i try to downloaded my emails from my pop server for that doman it gives me a dns lookup error, saying it cant find the mail server (forgive me if i cant provide the exact wording - writing this whilst at work).
      I have a similar issue with hotmail. I have one of the old hotmail accounts which is free to use via OE. Never had any major issues with this until connecting via Sky. Now it fails to connect to hotmail.

Is there something simple i'm missing? Are the two a related issue?

p.s. - OE can still connect to the news server that I download messages from.

Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by coatesch74; 30-11-06 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typos

2. Advertisement
      jamesyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      [I'm on sky connect with pretty much the same setup and don't have these issues..
      so what about it this as a possibility?

1) - You are connecting to your servers via a none standard pop3 port (i.e not 110).. if this is the case you may need to open that port up on your router.

It may also be that Sky as a whole have blocked that port cross-network (i.e the same way that freeserve blocked access to SMTP ports on 25

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hmm, i think it might be a schoolboy error, though I'll have to wait until tonight to confirm that. Need to check that the email accounts dont try to use just the old dial-up account to connetc to the mailservers, and that i've got AVG either disabled or set to connect via LAN. The port's the standard port 110, and currently no ports in or out are blocked (until i've got it set up how i want it) - yeah, i know that's not safe, but it's (the router) not actually switched on apart from the 1/2 hour last nite scratching my head.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hmm, still no go on establishing the pop3 connection to my own pop3 server. OE is giving me the following error :

The server responded with an error. Account: 'Email Account', Server: '<my pop3 server>', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Try disabling AVG a second and try?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile fixed...

well, admittedly i THOUGHT i'd disabled AVG. However, after uninstalling the program, emails come through fine. And fixed msn dropping it's link by changing the mtu to 1400 from the default of 1500. Hotmail also works through OE, though it's a bit sporadic.