Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Mac and mail problems

This is a discussion on New Mac and mail problems within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi just getting going with a new iMac. Mail is constantly showing it's downloading messages, seems to be in some ...

Pete069 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New Mac and mail problems

Hi just getting going with a new iMac. Mail is constantly showing it's downloading messages, seems to be in some kind of loop? I have seen various amount of mail for download currently it says downloading qty 1228. A short while ago it was 10, it never seems to get to ZERO.

I have attached a screenshot of the Mail settings, not sure if I have done this correctly, but I'm sure someone will put me right!

On my previous Mac I had to enter port numbers ie: 465/993 etc, but with the trend to smarter computing Mail can now manage the port detail itself?

Mail is now at download 422 of 1228 emails, I'm sure the solution is easy but it"s beyond my limited knowledge.

Any advice would be helpful

Regards
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Mac and mail problems-screen-shot-2018-04-13-21.20.17.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: New Mac and mail problems

After leaving mail open all night there was no "moving mail" message at 0630hrs, I therefore thought problem was solved.
      At 0857hrs I checked my emails again, the "moving mail" was clear, however when I deleted three unwanted emails up popped the "moving mail" message saying "moving 21 of 429" messages.
      In case I didn't explain properly in my first post, this problems refers to the OSX High Sierra Mail programme which I have been using for years. It is Yahoo mail and I saw on here last night that there was/has been some outages with Yahoo mail!
      Last night I was still able to log into my Sky Yahoo mail account and it seems okay this morning?

tarsins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

MacOS now downloads and caches all emails, since Mavericks I believe.
      --
      Steve

Thanks

After the above message I saw that the Mail "moving messages x 429" was clear. I closed Mail and I re-opened it and up popped "moving messages x 280". I'm not sure how long this problem will persist.
      I have had no previous problems with Sky Yahoo mail....

Thanks

Tarsins............
      I understand what your saying, what I don't understand is, I do not keep emails as such. If I counted all the emails that I have on my Mac it would not amount to 200 or so.
      Mail now seems to have caught up, it has been open since yesterday, late afternoon, at this moment in time it seems no longer to be "moving messages". I do not understand why, given that I'm not an email hoarder why
      Mail should need to spend in excess of 30 hours moving messages. The message count has been erratic and not consistent, going 20 or so messages, up to over 1000, down to 400 plus and then to 200 plus and then down to zero, briefly
      then back to 429 "moving messages"
      My Mail was not migrated over to my new iMac (Apple method for a new machine), my local independent Apple expert sat with me and many programmes were dragged and dropped from the SSD of my old iMac sat in a desktop caddy.
      My "expert" prefers this was of transferring data as he says it stops the migration of lots of crap.....his words. So why Mail was seemingly doing catch up on emails that I don't have is outside of my comprehension.
      I will be speaking with my local "expert" on Monday and I'm sure I will get to the bottom of this.
      The main thing is, Mail does work and there is no issues with Sky or for that matter Yahoo mail...........famous last words!

Thanks for your input.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,611 Posts

If you are not an email hoarder you might want to head over to your MySky email page and delete everything you don't want to keep. If you are accessing your mail through a client it will still show as unread in your mail account, so each time you access with a new client it will try to download everything in your MySky folder.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Isitme, sorted MySky out yesterday morning. The mail I need to keep are kept on my Mac in folders and do not show on my online account.

My systems was showing 2.9gb of storage being used for emails, I know storage is cheap but I have no need to hoard emails.

I do though know of one company that has emails going back 10 years!

lastly WiFi extender I have ordered this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repeater-Et...991099&sr=8-26

Regards