Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

large email attachments not sending

This is a discussion on large email attachments not sending within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Who's email service are you using?...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: large email attachments not sending

Who's email service are you using?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      plco43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penarth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Who's email service are you using?
      I was on O2 for quite a long time, and moved to Sky last week. I'm still using my O2 email addresses but they are going through the Sky server I believe. I also have another email account with Catylist2 which I use for business, but both that and the O2 one have the same problem. I also have a Rocketmail account which, also run by Yahoo, is not affected, but it's a webmail service and I have to upload attachments to it. But no limit there, at least I haven't tested it yet.

The guy at Sky was very helpful, and made enquiries and phoned me back promptly, albeit they didn't solve the problem.

Thanks

Ok, first thing to note is that the O2 email address will close soon. You need to address this ASAP.

REMINDER O2 UK to Close All Email Accounts from 1st November 2013

Second thing is that you may need to play with the settings for your work email address. If you can't use Sky's email servers, I would suggest that you apply for a SkyUser SMTP account.

How to apply for a SkyUser SMTP account

Do try the Sky mail server settings or your work's email server setting first. You may need to try different ports.

If you do need to apply for an SMTP account through SkyUser, it may take a couple of days as SatDish is quite busy at work. Could I recommend making a post on the section too (no private details please in the post) in case SatDish needs to be chased.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Ok, first thing to note is that the O2 email address will close soon. You need to address this ASAP.

Second thing is that you may need to play with the settings for your work email address. If you can't use Sky's email servers, I would suggest that you apply for a SkyUser SMTP account.

Do try the Sky mail server settings or your work's email server setting first. You may need to try different ports.

If you do need to apply for an SMTP account through SkyUser, it may take a couple of days as SatDish is quite busy at work. Could I recommend making a post on the section too (no private details please in the post) in case SatDish needs to be chased.
      Thanks Scubbie. That's actually news to me about the email accounts closing on 1st November. I haven't received a notice or seen it anywhere. I've been with O2 for years. I was told by the Sky representative when I signed up earlier this month that they would be keeping the O2 mail boxes open for at least 12 months.

Can you explain about playing with settings for my work email address and the Sky mail server settings? I'm a novice in that respect. In the past it seemed to have the same limit as the O2 one, so I assumed it went through the same server

Do you think that limiting the size of attachments to 2.8mb is reasonable? It seems very small to me, particularly when in the terms and conditions Sky state maximum allowable size of email including attachments is 25mb. Apparently that's what it was with Google, but Yahoo are imposing size restrictions.

Thanks

Thanks again Scubbie. Just discovered my own stupidity. I forgot that within the account settings on Thunderbird, you can switch round between different SMTP servers. It was actually set with the O2 server as default. I've now switched it to the SMTP server at Catylist2 (my business address) and it's working fine. Just sent a test with 7.2mb of photos attached. I've also opened a Sky Yahoo mail account, so will try their server. Interesting about the SMTP account, I may try that.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Well done! They were some of the settings and in your case perhaps the most import ones.

I was also referring to the port numbers as well. I am currently using port 465 (SSL, SMTP, Outgoing) and 995 (SSL, POP3, Incoming) for my Yahoo! and Sky email accounts. I had to change this recently for a couple of them as Yahoo! are tightening up their security due to attempts to hack them.

Other Ports which may be useful are:

Port #25 - SMTP, Outgoing, not SSL
      Port #110 - SMTP, Outgoing, not SSL
      Port #587 - SMTP, Outgoing
      Port #143 - IMAP, Incoming
      Port #993 - IMAP, Outgoing, SSL

Different servers require different settings. It will pay to check which your work email server prefers. IIRC the SkyUser SMTP server uses port #25.

A list of some common ones can be found here:

A List of SMTP and POP3 Servers

There are many other sites available with this information.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Interesting about the SMTP account, I may try that.
      I was under the impression that no more applications for Skyuser SMTP accounts were being accepted, as due to the way the Yahoo mail server works, there was no need for them. I could be wrong of course.

Here- post 552 How to apply for a SkyUser SMTP account
      Last edited by Isitme; 15-10-13 at 04:42 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Sorry, this is correct.

I was thinking that if the attachment size was an issue then it might be suitable to encourage someone to open them again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12