Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Email Failure

This is a discussion on Email Failure within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, so I have finally got my connection running, but now I have email hassles!! I am well versed in ...

Bendz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Email Failure

Ok, so I have finally got my connection running, but now I have email hassles!! I am well versed in adding new accounts in OE6, but I cannot get Sky email to work. I get the following error:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'bendz666', Server: 'smtp.sky.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'bendz666', Server: 'pop.sky.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

Since I cannot connect to my newserver either I assume something is blocking the port.

"Telnet pop.sky.com 110" fails to connect. I have removed McAfee and am using ZoneAlarm which has OE as a trusted application. I can log onto the sky broadband site and see that I have email, but I really want to get OE working.

Thunderbird produces the same error

Help please!!!!

2. Advertisement
      kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Email Failure

Did you receive you're BB username and password letter and can you login to the BB portal and see you're email?

There are some threads on here that (quite rightly in my case) state you need to change the password using the Sky portal first before trying to loin the BB portal. Then you should find that email works and the OE access you mentioned should be OK too.

Kevlong

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevlong View Post
      Did you receive you're BB username and password letter and can you login to the BB portal and see you're email?

There are some threads on here that (quite rightly in my case) state you need to change the password using the Sky portal first before trying to loin the BB portal. Then you should find that email works and the OE access you mentioned should be OK too.

Kevlong

Thanks for your reply! I can log into the Sky portal without any problems. At first it kept saying that my login credentials were incorrect, but it eventually seemed to sort itself out. Iwill change it though, just in case.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok password changed. Can still access the portal but I am getting the same error on OE. Telnet still fails on ports 110 and 25 too. Aaaargh!!!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Did you get into your email via the Sky Portal without problems though? Until I changed my password I couldn't even do that!

I'm using Outlook to access Sky email and for me it was just a basic setup, (i.e. no encrypted SSL links and no outgoing server authentication) using the POP and SMTP gateways that you mentioned together with my username and 'changed' password.

Kevlong

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevlong View Post
      Did you get into your email via the Sky Portal without problems though? Until I changed my password I couldn't even do that!

I'm using Outlook to access Sky email and for me it was just a basic setup, (i.e. no encrypted SSL links and no outgoing server authentication) using the POP and SMTP gateways that you mentioned together with my username and 'changed' password.

Kevlong
      Yeah mate, I have always been able to access my email via the portal. I was having loads of connection problems on my PC when in Vista, but email workd fine in OE. I am now booting into Windows XP (same PC, it's a dual boot) and the connection is steady - only now OE can't access my email!!! It's all very strange. I am almost tempted to flatten the drive just to get back to a clean XP install and see if that helps. Any ideas before I take this extreme course of action?!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So, OE accessed Sky Mail fine under Vista, (is that Windows Mail?) but OE under XP doesn't work?

I suppost that comes down to settings/drivers/firewall. Are ports 110, etc open under XP?

Kevin

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok this is a bit of a cop out, but I flattened the drive, re-installed XP and everything works beautifully. Router has been up for 24 hours now without a hitch, Xbox Live is working perfectly too. Hands up time, the problems were all my fault. Whatever they were!

Thanks for everyone who tried to help, this forum is an invaluable resource for new Sky BB users. Top stuff folks!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No problem, I think!

Kevlong

Richardod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upminster
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm also getting the message

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.sky.com', Server: 'smtp.sky.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I've just added my sky account to OE6 but it's not allowing me to send mail,I can receive them ok through outlook though.
      My old NTL account still runs fine can't understand why my NTL account works and my sky one will not .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-04-07, 08:47 PM