Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By skyeci

Why wont SKY give me a DLM reset?

This is a discussion on Why wont SKY give me a DLM reset? within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Basically I've had Sky FTTC when it was first introduced in my area many many years ago and I've always ...

carlcall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Router: Billion BiPAC8800AXL
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Why wont SKY give me a DLM reset?

Basically I've had Sky FTTC when it was first introduced in my area many many years ago and I've always had a stable 80000/20000 connection.

On a few occasions I've had my speed drop where SkY have reset my line and it's gone straight back to the above figures which has lasted in excess of 8+ months and then all of a sudden my line will drop by 6Meg so I end up on a 73998/20000. Now this happens every year or so and I suppose it all depends on who you talk to to get this resolved.

Every other time I have phoned it has been sorted out but this time they are adamant that it cannot be reset to the original 80000/20000 as the 73998/20000 is the maximum I can get and was basically calling me a liar. Which I know it isn't as have all the other representatives that has helped me out in the past. I was told that they can't reset it and they can't request for it to be reset.

Is there any way I can get this sorted out as when it comes to say grabbing something that is 50-90Gb it's quite a substantial amount of time it adds on.

At present I am getting download speeds of 74.1Mbps and with the overheads 9.3MBps....yet when I am on my 80000/20000 connections I am getting well over 80Mbps (I can't remember the exact figure of the Mbps as my memory is rather bad now due to illness) and with the overheads it sits at a stable 10.0MBps.

All the previous representatives have looked back through the notes but she wouldn't even entertain the idea.

So what can I do to have my DLM reset?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Why wont SKY give me a DLM reset?

It is possible that as more and more properties connected to your cabinet get fibre the maximum speed attainable drops due to interference between other users broadband signals.

What downstream noise margin are you currently getting?

Exchange:
      Thanks

My SNR Margin (dB) is 6 and the cabinet is full as far as I am aware.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I doubt that you will ever get back to your original speed but if you really want a DLM reset you could turn your modem off and back on half a minute later and wait for the connection to resync. Repeat this a few times and DLM should kick in to reduce your speed and increase your downstream noise margin. Then phone Sky and tell them that you have had problems with your telephone wiring but that although you have sorted it out your broadband speed is still low and ask them to reset it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

carlcall (16-07-17)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks @seawright I'll leave it a few days and then do it.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg8324 (bridge mode) + APU2C4 pfsense box 2.4.0-DEVELOPMENT (amd64) with IPV6
      Thanks

Isp cannot do a remote dlm reset on vdsl lines..... Only a visiting engineer can do this. Sounds more like cross talkers knocking your sync down which ultimately there is nothing you can do about it. I myself have gone from 79 now down to 68 on the ds.

The only thing you could do is wait for any overhead in your ds snr then try a resync to see if you can recover any sync rate. Be careful not to over cook it and then DLM adversely affects your line.

It is almost a dead cert your line is operating in the correct line speeds. If there is no fault and an engineer comes and finds no physical fault you will likely get charged. The service is up to 80...its not a given you will connect at 80mb .. lucky for you though you must be very close to your fttc cab.. cross talkers,line length, line condition will ultimately affect sync rates...

Bear in mind a dlm reset may not even return your initial sync rate due to other factors...
      Last edited by skyeci; 17-07-17 at 08:02 AM.
      speedyrite likes this.
      Zyxel vmg8324 modem (bridge mode)
      Pfsense with IPV6

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

Upload stats user: SKYECI
      See mydslwebstats.co.uk