Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By buddbuttocks

Lost G.INP since messing with managing my own line settings

This is a discussion on Lost G.INP since messing with managing my own line settings within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My first post here... I bought myself an Asus DSL-AC68U in March. I had a bit of trouble after a ...

Bunzer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heaton Moor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: PAY for ads?
      Thanks

Lost G.INP since messing with managing my own line settings

My first post here...

I bought myself an Asus DSL-AC68U in March. I had a bit of trouble after a few weeks with random disconnects, ending up running at half speed. After contacting support, and doing the whole check your home wiring thing, I worked out that my router was the cause of the speed loss. I did a factory reset to get full 22Mbps back again.

It occurred to me that there is a default-on DSL setting on this router called "Dynamic Line Adjustment (DLA)" which might have contributed to the issue, so I switched it off. The Sky techie thought that was a good idea too.

While I was there, I had a look at some of the other settings, and took an interest in "G.INP (G.998.4)". After Googling it, I switched it on. My router reconnected and lo and behold it seemed to work. My CRC errors fell to 0. The connection status changed to "ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS) G.998.4(G.INP)".

Then, I went too far. I started playing with the Broadband Pro line-management settings. First, I tried Gaming Mode (Fastpath), which I now realise switched off Interleaving and G.INP. Then I had to get support involved again, because it seems that you can only make one change to Broadband Pro settings per day.

So, now I'm back to where I started: I have line settings back to "Sky automatically manages your line". But my connection is only showing as "ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)" (no G.INP) with Interleave at 128 and 3000 CRC errors over 2 days. Funnily enough, the line didn't reset when I passed line settings control back to Sky.

How do I get G.INP back? Will DLM re-enable it with time, or could it have been disabled?

2. Advertisement
      buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: Lost G.INP since messing with managing my own line settings

As far as I know, Fibre DLM is usually always on, so you should get G.inp back eventually.

In my case, after having speed capped due to the router firmware issue causing loss of sync, a DLM reset by an Openreach engineer removed the cap but didn't re-enable G.inp. It switched back on by itself several weeks later (during which I was using a different router with the old firmware).
      Bunzer likes this.

Thanks

I'm on ADSL, but I guess the same principle applies.

The Interleave depth changed as well as G.INP. It was 2 before and 128 now. I have no idea what this means. I guess I'll just sit tight and wait a few weeks.

Thanks

Result!

I didn't do anything differently to last time, but it seems that this time it worked.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lost G.INP since messing with managing my own line settings-result.jpg  

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Oh, my assumption was fibre, didn't read your post properly. Sky's DLM is a little different than Openreach/BT's - it is always monitoring, but is not quite as sensitive to triggering stabilisation. Once your line is stable it will probably stay on that profile. You could give the Broadband Pro team a call and see if they can manually re-enable G.inp for you or restart stabilisation. It's been a good while since I worked at Sky and I don't recall if it was possible to manually set it from the normal application, then again the Pro team may have direct access to the ISAM.

Edit: never mind, already resolved I see